Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First time sand rail/vw owner clueless a lot of questions.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: First time sand rail/vw owner clueless a lot of questions. Reply with quote

Hello all. I recently traded a Kawasaki dualsport for the sand rail I own currently. A great trade, I think! I love this thing so much fun. I do realize I'm absolutely clueless with this though so after lurking on the site a few days I have some questions for you Very Happy

First off to give a generalized idea of what kind of buggy we're talking about here's an overall picture:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The tires on this thing seem to be a shade too big, wide that is. Wouldn't it perform better with smaller rear tires? Currently it has 31x10.5x15 on it in the rear. Would it run better and faster with smaller tires width-wise?

It appears to have a standard kingpin front end, the year I have no idea, I also have no idea how to service the steering gear box. Is there anything I need to do to keep this in good working order? Does it require fluid?

The shocks, I'm assuming are just stock VW shocks, but what year? Where would I find replacements? I'm not looking to upgrade, just put some newer more able stock replacements on there.

Do both clutch and brake resevoirs use just standard brake fluid? It is a CNC set up.

I'm assuming this is a swingaxle setup, It looks to be a bug transmission, is this right? What kind of fluid do I use in this transmission, and do I check the fluid by just ramming my pinky in there and feeling around like a differential? I was told it has close ratio 3rd and 4th gears...does this improve offroad torque or on road top speed? This is going to be mostly a street buggy.

This is a Delorto carb. I have no idea what model, do you? Id like to get some new airfilters for it, but I'm not sure what model to order for?

As far as routine maintenance goes..The buggy starts right up, takes about 3 minutes to warm up and just runs tops. I'm thinking I shouldn't worry about a tune up or anything at the moment, or would it be a good idea to go ahead and do the valve check and plugs etc the next time I change the oil?

Lastly, It would appear the rail has a remote oil system of some sort I've read about on here. What are the two things pictured above behind the doghouse? 1 is an oil cooler I'm certain. Is this an aftermarket upgrade?

The engine I was told, is a 1776. So in order to get fitting aftermarket parts would I purchase things for a 1600cc??
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like bugpack fugitive chasis

Tires are fine
shocks look like standard white KYBs
standard brake fluid id fine
swing axle set up
as for checking trans gear oil theres a fill plug on drivers side about 1/2 way up should us e a17mm allen wrench you should be able to open it and stick finger i there and feel oil.Normally fill to bottom of hole.

Close ratio gears are better for torque and able to use all gears esp in sand dunes.Keeps from having big rpm drops between gears.Downside dont expect to cruise past 45 mph without going over 3000rpm.

Maint you sound like you are on the right path.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh last thing the small box is a breather its fine there.Thefinned deal is you oil cooler.IMO lousy spot for it move it away from fan opening you are preheating air that cools the engine.
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

77charger wrote:
Oh last thing the small box is a breather its fine there.Thefinned deal is you oil cooler.IMO lousy spot for it move it away from fan opening you are preheating air that cools the engine.

X2, leave the breather there if you're happy with it, but get rid of that oil cooler location. There is a frame tube right there, I'd mount it to that.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

77charger wrote:
The finned deal is you oil cooler.IMO lousy spot for it move it away from fan opening you are preheating air that cools the engine.

Agreed ... Move it away from fan inlet..... Old school thinking was you needed to pull air through cooler to cool oil... That has been proven false and you are only preheating your cylinder cooling air, and it sort of defeats the purpose of cylinder cooling....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
JakeBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will get that oil cooler moved before this summer for certain! How big a deal is it? Does it need to be addressed immediately? We're getting into the 80's here now.
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeBrown wrote:
Thanks for the info. I will get that oil cooler moved before this summer for certain! How big a deal is it? Does it need to be addressed immediately? We're getting into the 80's here now.

Not asap but definitely do get it done soon or before any longer trips.Like mentioned you could mount it on the tubing above it
ZARJDR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbs look like DRLA's others can give more info. The link pin front shocks are all pretty much the same as mounting goes, your front beam is actually two front beams welded together it looks like, as it is considerably wider than a stock one.
03 YAMAHA WR450F 74 BAJA
JakeBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually told that by the owner I bought it from. Is that going to affect the shocks that I can put on it? What would be the reason for welding those together like that??
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wider front beams were a attempt to get a wider track to increase stability and a attempt to make it harder to roll buggy.....

Should have no effect on shocks, any shock designed for "link pin" from end should work....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
JakeBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link pin or king pin? Are they the same thing?
joshuaj75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same thing
bajamike560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board, nice looking rail.

Yes same thing, link and king pin front beam.

Mike
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if one is all anal retentive fussy... King pin is what the spindle rotates on vertically, link pins are what the connects the trailing arm to the spindles horizontally. king pin front ends have link pins; link pin front ends have king pins.

ball joints do both.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
JakeBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok good info.

Thanks bajamike. Smile

Damned if this thing doesn't have me wanting a baja bug now!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a standard vw steering box, use the instructions for stock maintenance. You could add a stabilizer to the front.

I would think the terrain you drive on would determine the tire width you need. Softer sand or mud, wider tire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shmoe2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend a book call "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive 19 Ed: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot" Buy this book. I have been a tech for over 20 years and i still have my book that i bought in the late 80's. Still today i will look thru it for info. Its a great book for VW's.
JakeBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought that book today, and came home to see this. I guess I'm on the right track. I should probably find some street tires for the back since I'm primarily using it on the road?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: