Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Lowering, Spring Plate at 10 Degrees 0 minutes
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
German U-Boat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Rear Lowering, Spring Plate at 10 Degrees 0 minutes Reply with quote

I have my entire pan apart and after powder coating everything I am putting it back together. I am planning on lowering the rear end and have adjusted the spring plates at 10 degress 0 minutes when I measured it with a protractor. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this setting or anything close to it. How much of a drop should I expect from a setting like this?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many splines from stock is that? Most of us do not use protractors or bubble levels, expecially on swing axle cars. I've never used one, and lowered probably 30 vw's? Maybe a pic of where your spring plate is sitting in it's cup?
German U-Boat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
how many splines from stock is that? Most of us do not use protractors or bubble levels, expecially on swing axle cars. I've never used one, and lowered probably 30 vw's? Maybe a pic of where your spring plate is sitting in it's cup?

I couldn't tell you the splines because I have everything apart and freshly powder coated. I can tell you for certain that the spring plate is about a half inch below the resting stop when not loaded. Does this help give you an idea?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured my IRS pan before I took it apart for the torsion raise on my 57, and the plates were at 20* You could set yours there and see how many splies it takes to get back to 10*

brad
German U-Boat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I measured my IRS pan before I took it apart for the torsion raise on my 57, and the plates were at 20* You could set yours there and see how many splies it takes to get back to 10*

brad

Are the specs for the torsion spring plate the same for early swing axle and IRS? I think I read somewhere the stock placement for early oval is 13 degrees 30 mintues, but I could be mistaken. I 'm hoping someone can chime in and give me a definite response on this or an idea of how the spring plate should look under no load at stock position.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post a pic of how it looks?
asmith6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven,
I was in the same boat as you are. Before I took apart my rear torsions and once I made sure the pan was level I measured the stock resting angle to be 12 degrees. That was obviously with the spring plates at rest off of the perch. When I reassembled after powder coat I set the resting angle at 5 degrees. This turned out to be one outer notch. Once assembled I have about 1/8 inch space between bottom of spring plate and the frames resting perch. The car is now on the ground and sits real nice. However, there is no motor in her yet so I cant say for certain how low it will really be.

Aaron
targetinspect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Car is different as the spring tension in the torsion bars varies with age, diameter, and manufacture. I have set cars up with the same degree and get different results. Leave your ebrake cables and bolts loose when reasembling after all the weight is on the car and finished, then simply re-index your splines, it takes 20-30 minutes tops!
Firebug3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to just eyeball it for now get that pan all finished and a roller then when the body is back on and you have the tires and wheels you want you can adjust it as many times as you want to get the look you are after.
FunkFlex61
Samba Athlete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to get a realistic measurement of the ride height with no weight on the pan as stated above. Once the pan is rolling, get the motor and trans installed, then move on to dropping the rear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
German U-Boat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
can you post a pic of how it looks?

I will definitly post some pics soon in my build thread! I have taken everyones advise for now and simply assembled everything at 12 degrees flat. I never took into consideration the fact that every rear torsion resistance can produce different results due to its age and what not. I appreciate everyones insight as always, it really helps me make the best decisions possible! Very Happy
uglyduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your most likely gonna be readjusting them plates,I do believe stock is 22 deg. mine are set @17 and sits lower than stock but very little camber.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: