Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

slamming my bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jomamma70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: slamming my bug Reply with quote

OK, so i just got my 1970 bug Very Happy and since i dont know NOTHING about cars yet.(15 yrs old), and i want to slam it. all i know is that i need a adjustable beam. can someone name the parts that i need thnks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scan thru these - spend some time searching and reading - you'll answer some questions and, more importantly, will inspire more.
post pics- we love pics.
good luck - looking forward to seeing the progress.
Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 70 makes it a std. This is fairly easy. You can start with a set of dropped spindles. Then you can either get an adjustable beam or make your own from the aftermarket parts available.. Tire size starts to get a bit critical and sometimes bump steer gets critical. Good luck
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlh1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I started out with a stock '74, and also wanted to give it a good drop. There's quite a few options/combos that will do the trick, but I'll try to give a rundown and explanation...hope it helps.

Adjustable beam: You can weld in adjusters, or buy a new beam with adjusters already installed; also, there are plenty of options for aftermarket beams (narrowed vs stock, shocks vs. shockless, etc). A narrowed beam is almost necessary for slamming a bug to the ground...just keep in mind that it takes a bit of extra work if you're planning on using some of your stock parts. You would need to narrow and redrill torsion leaves, narrow tie rods, and buy new bushings (you could also buy this stuff already narrowed, but it tends to get a little pricey). This method alone will give you a decent drop, but ride quality might be sacrificed if you go too low without replacing ball joints, shocks, and/or spindles. Also, you're limited with how much you drop, as you can have rubbing issues with the tires on the fenders with a stock-width beam.

Drop spindles: These will give you a 2.5" drop, and will retain the same ride quality. However, as mentioned before, you can have rubbing issues if you plan on running the stock tire size up front. Drop spindles push each wheel out about 1/4", which adds to the rubbing issue (with stock tires).

Drop spindles and adjustable beam: This setup will allow for quite a bit of a drop, and the ability to dial in your ride height. If you plan on going really low, you might want to consider a narrowed beam, definitely lowered ball-joints, and lower profile tires.

If you're wanting to slam it to the ground, stock tires WILL rub on headlight buckets, as well as limit your turning radius. Also, stock ball joints will bind up, as they don't have enough travel to allow for their intended range of motion.

Now, for my setup, I went with a 4" narrowed shockless beam (got it from Dropped Metal Customs from the classifieds here) and drop spindles. I narrowed and redrilled my existing torsion leaves, and also narrowed my tie rods (NOTE: If you go this route, make sure you measure things carefully). I also replaced my ball joints with lowered ones, and went ahead and replaced my tie rod ends while everything was apart. I had to do a few odds and ends (raise the gas tank just a little bit, removed my sway bar, etc), but I still have some decent suspension travel. As for the tire size that I'm running, well, I'll have to get back to you on that one...can't remember right off the top of my head..

Here are some photos of my car, from the time I got it to what it looks like today...it sits just a little lower in the front now, but if gives you an idea of what it looks like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Let me know if you have questions or anything, and others who have input or think I've missing anything please let me know.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

been discussed at great length

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143095
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
been discussed at great length

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143095

Let's use that.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: