Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

I'd like this to be a mecca of early Type 4 engine info including the 1.7L, 1.8L and 2.0L. I'm starting this out of my own curiosity of it's introduction, year-to-year changes, maintenance, quirks and as a place to keep all the info I find in one spot. VW seemed to smooth out the bumps with the later engines so I'd like this be just about the early ones say, up to 1976. A general Type 4 '73-'79 thread would be gargantuan. Feel free to post any info or pictures! I'm in no way claiming to be a genius. Just want to gather and share info in one spot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

T4 History and introduction:
Quote:
Type 4: 1.7–2.0 litres
In 1968, Volkswagen introduced a new vehicle, the Volkswagen Type 4. The model 411, and later the model 412, offered many new features to the Volkswagen lineup. While the Type 4 was discontinued in 1974 when sales dropped, its engine became the power plant for Volkswagen Type 2s produced from 1972 to 1979: it continued in modified form in the later Vanagon which was air-cooled from 1980 until mid-1983. The engine that superseded the Type 4 engine in late 1983 retained Volkswagen Type 1 architecture, yet featured water-cooled cylinder heads and cylinder jackets. The wasserboxer, Volkswagen terminology for a water-cooled, opposed-cylinder (flat or 'boxer engine') was subsequently discontinued the engine in 1992 with the introduction of the Eurovan. The Type 4 engine was also used on the Volkswagen version of the Porsche 914. Volkswagen versions originally came with an 80 horsepower (60 kW) fuel-injected 1.7-litre flat-4 engine based on the Volkswagen air-cooled engine. In Europe, the four-cylinder cars were sold as Volkswagen-Porsches, at Volkswagen dealerships. Porsche discontinued the 914/6 variant in 1972 after production of 3,351 units; its place in the lineup was filled by a variant powered by a new 95 metric horsepower (70 kW; 94 bhp) 2.0-litre fuel-injected version of Volkswagen's Type 4 engine in 1973. For 1974, the 1.7-litre engine was replaced by a 76 metric horsepower (56 kW; 75 bhp) 1.8-litre, and the new Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection system was added to American units to help with emissions control. 914 production ended in 1976. The 2.0-litre engine continued to be used in the Porsche 912E, which provided an entry-level model until the Porsche 924 was introduced. For the Volkswagen Type 2, 1972's most prominent change was a bigger engine compartment to fit the larger 1.7- to 2.0-litre engines from the Volkswagen Type 4, and a redesigned rear end which eliminated the removable rear apron. The air inlets were also enlarged to accommodate the increased cooling air needs of the larger engines. This all-new, larger engine is commonly called the Type 4 engine as opposed to the previous Type 1 engine first introduced in the Type 1 Beetle. This engine was called "Type 4" because it was originally designed for the Type 4 (411 and 412) automobiles. There is no "Type 2 engine" or "Type 3 engine", because those vehicles did not feature new engine designs when introduced. They used the "Type 1" engine from the Beetle with minor modifications such as rear mount provisions and different cooling shroud arrangements, although the Type 3 did introduce fuel injection on the "Type 1" engine. In the Type 2, the Volkswagen Type 4 engine was an option from 1972. This engine was standard in models destined for the US and Canada. Only with the Type 4 engine did an automatic transmission become available for the first time in 1973. Both engines displaced 1.7 litres, rated at 66 metric horsepower (49 kW; 65 bhp) with the manual transmission, and 62 metric horsepower (46 kW; 61 bhp) with the automatic. The Type 4 engine was enlarged to 1.8 litres and 68 metric horsepower (50 kW; 67 bhp) in 1974, and again to 2.0 litres and 70 metric horsepower (51 kW; 69 bhp) in 1976. As with all Transporter engines, the focus in development was not on motive power, but on low-end torque. The Type 4 engines were considerably more robust and durable than the Type 1 engines, particularly in Transporter service.

Tins
'72-'74 corner tin (Smooth):
(Notice the VIN number. It's a '74)

'75-'76 corner tin (Hole/Preheat System):

'77-'79 corner tin (Bump):

'72-'74 right front tin

Diagrams:

Fan Shroud
(Not sure on the year break downs)
With and without inspection hole:

With and without Dip Stick tube:

Large and Small Fan Shroud/Heater box fresh air channel:

'73 with Smog Pump:

I'm a little overwhelmed and skatter-brained looking for stuff but I'll keep posting.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!

Last edited by thewalrus on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

75-76 Only Preheat System

#24: Cross over Pipe (Part of preheat system)

The more I get into it the more I realize '74/'75 were just weird transition years. Even parts vendors have the cut off date wrong on certain parts. Heater boxes for example; Bus Depot has these listed as fitting all the years minus '75-'78. I'm guessing in actuality the triangle port heater boxes didn't start until either model year '76 (August '75) or sometime after January 1976.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!

Last edited by thewalrus on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own 2.0L is a bit of a mystery to me. Right off the bat I'm going to say that it is NOT the original 2.0L. It's a hodge-podge of '70's F.I. components but it IS supposed to be a 2.0L engine. The M-Code proves it's not a PO install:

M-Code:
52 089 363

J2R152 D02 148 227 508

07 5 7256 UP 2218 61

Deciphered

Chassis/VIN:

The M-Code goes against a lot of info saying that the introduction of the 2.0L was in August '75 ('76 Model year). I'm going to grab my buddys VIN and M-Code out of his February '75 Westfalia next time I see him and see if that sheds any light on mine
60vwnewengland wrote:
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HD3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah! Great thread. I will be able to contribute to the 1979 type IVs info (not a 79 type IV guru but learning).

Dancing
drober23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread!

'72 - '73 had the 1700 motor and the heat exchangers built onto the exhaust manifold and used the "trapezoid" flanges for the muffler.

'74 had the 1800 motor but kept the 002 3-rib transmission, and kept the previous heat exchanger setup

'75 had the 1800 motor but upgraded to the 002 5-rib transmission
'75 also had fuel injection ("early version")
'75 was the first year of the "F-tube" exhaust manifolds bolted to the "U-tubes" bolted to standalone heat exchangers then to the muffler (triangle flanges)

'76 had the 2.0 L motor and the upgraded 091 transmission (6-rib). Fuel injections switched mid-year, so be careful!
'76 kept the F-Tube / stand alone heat exchangers setup

'77 Kept the 2.0 L and F-Tube exhaust arrangement. I think the FI was upgraded slightly over the late '76 version (not sure though)

'78 added hydraulic lifters and a slightly different cam to accomodate, but otherwise is identical to the '77

'79 went to "square ports" on the cylinder head exhaust ports, and also went back to combined exhaust manifold / Heat exchangers (eliminating the U-tubes and standalone heat exchangers). They also reverted to the "trapezoid" flanges for the muffler.
'79 also had an electronic ignition module instead of points. I believe the FI setup is slightly different for '79 as well.

Of course there were California only models that someone else may be able to elaborate upon.

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe, and some others...
(more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive feed back! This took me a few weeks of surfing Samba and other sites to gather up what I did.

I know that some fan shrouds had a sticker from VW on them indicating NOT to adjust the rockers because they were hydraulic. Can't find a good picture though.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
Thanks for the positive feed back! This took me a few weeks of surfing Samba and other sites to gather up what I did.

I know that some fan shrouds had a sticker from VW on them indicating NOT to adjust the rockers because they were hydraulic. Can't find a good picture though.

i have a 90% good sticker....ill try and get a picture.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charcoal Canister year-to-year:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html[/quote][/u]
60vwnewengland wrote:
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dip stick hole thing is a mystery. I know the 80-83 CV motor relocated the dip stick but the fan shroud is totally different. Must be off the 914 or one of those.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a 411/412?
60vwnewengland wrote:
porschpow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this is an awesome thread! Didn't know type 4 engine was made for the type 4 car (even though it makes consistent sense)
-1986 Honda Magna
Philo Beddoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:

RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I just add that this is applicable to U.S. models only and other variants may be seen elsewhere.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatCamper wrote:
May I just add that this is applicable to U.S. models only and other variants may be seen elsewhere.

US and Canada models actually Wink
60vwnewengland wrote:
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
RatCamper wrote:

I didn't realise and in all honesty am slightly surprised.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatCamper wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
RatCamper wrote:

I didn't realise and in all honesty am slightly surprised.

What surprises me is why the UK and rest of the VW Bus market didn't get one. They're bulletproof when they're running right and maintained.
60vwnewengland wrote:
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME breakdown done by Colin of the top view of a T4:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=505873&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
60vwnewengland wrote:
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
AWESOME breakdown done by Colin of the top view of a T4:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=505873&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

For fuel injection owners.

How about the factory dual carbs? Not book quality, but serviceable . .

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread! If you are truely looking for early type 4 information...and not just type 4 in busses (which are not early at all)....you should dig a bit more into the 411/412....which were the earliest of all. there are lots of detail differences including some that that pop up in busses later.

I recomend going over the 411/412 forum here...and very very eespecially the 411/412 fium on teh Shoptalk forums and the type 4um on the STF....a forum dedicated strictly to the type 4 engine and its uses new and old.

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: