Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
twinwindows wrote:
Yes that is a Danny A. design piece. He painted all the famous cars of the day like Babboom, Rag berry, King Rag and lil dreamer amongst many others including many of the mini truck logos like the Mini stompers. I`ll try to get Danny to post up in this thread also. After many phone calls and people in the car painting world I was able to find him 27 years later and I recently had the chance to talk to Danny about the old days and cars back then and how they were named. The owners/driver of each car would already have a name and idea and Danny would draw up something out of his head and use it. Danny went to work for Disney for some twenty years and was the main guy for all the art work for the "Power rangers". He was also the head painter for all the work in the movie Robo Cop! There is so much to tell but ill save it for when Bad Temper II makes a comeback.
On a small note Bad Temper was almost going to be named Challenger with a picture of the space craft in the air cos the Space shuttle named Challenger met it`s fate the same week they logo`d this car but stayed with BTII. This was January 28, 1986 when the unfortunate took part.

What great news!!! CRG finding Danny A!!! Like I said before what a loss to HotVW's and not shooting Bad Temper II....imagine the back story and history to be told of all the cars Danny A Designs logo'd back in the 80's at the height of the VW aircooled movement in LA!!

I'm not one to name drop, but I will say this. I'm a Docent for a world wide known Automotive Museum in the LA area that chronicles the history and car culture of the automobile as seen through the vision of an Automotive media pioneer.......and if CRG's restoration of a famous LA VW is not enough to interest HotVW's then I don't know what will!!

Hey Kidd, Whats a Docent???
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
vwkidd wrote:
twinwindows wrote:
Yes that is a Danny A. design piece. He painted all the famous cars of the day like Babboom, Rag berry, King Rag and lil dreamer amongst many others including many of the mini truck logos like the Mini stompers. I`ll try to get Danny to post up in this thread also. After many phone calls and people in the car painting world I was able to find him 27 years later and I recently had the chance to talk to Danny about the old days and cars back then and how they were named. The owners/driver of each car would already have a name and idea and Danny would draw up something out of his head and use it. Danny went to work for Disney for some twenty years and was the main guy for all the art work for the "Power rangers". He was also the head painter for all the work in the movie Robo Cop! There is so much to tell but ill save it for when Bad Temper II makes a comeback.
On a small note Bad Temper was almost going to be named Challenger with a picture of the space craft in the air cos the Space shuttle named Challenger met it`s fate the same week they logo`d this car but stayed with BTII. This was January 28, 1986 when the unfortunate took part.

What great news!!! CRG finding Danny A!!! Like I said before what a loss to HotVW's and not shooting Bad Temper II....imagine the back story and history to be told of all the cars Danny A Designs logo'd back in the 80's at the height of the VW aircooled movement in LA!!

I'm not one to name drop, but I will say this. I'm a Docent for a world wide known Automotive Museum in the LA area that chronicles the history and car culture of the automobile as seen through the vision of an Automotive media pioneer.......and if CRG's restoration of a famous LA VW is not enough to interest HotVW's then I don't know what will!!

A Docent is someone who is trained and very knowledgable of a museums artifacts and history and answers questions of museum guests and also gives tours of the artifacts.
1966 141 Cabrio. L554 Cherry Red (low mileage)
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1958 Convertible 151 L349
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
j8bug wrote:
vwkidd wrote:
twinwindows wrote:

A Docent is someone who is trained and very knowledgable of a museums artifacts and history and answers questions of museum guests and also gives tours of the artifacts.

I always felt this thread was in good hands when I started calling you "The Thread Historian" and its not costing us$ Cool
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stede wrote:
Whatever happened to Mike Jones Oval and Dino (Purple Vert) from Stadium Way ?

That was a purple RHD on 4 1/2 Right? His brother was Katz from the Projects in Montecito Heights. I know Dino from back in the day.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it happen to be this one??? This looks so much like an L.A. car from the 80s. I thought it was one of Frank Ochoas RHDs but he said it wasnt. His plates read "Go Crazy". It could be a 90s car once the style had caught on and spread to other regions. It would kill me if I saw recessed or ford tailights on that. A big no-no in our neck of the woods!!! The suicide doors is bad enough IMO...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that one. It was more of a grape purple.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
It's not that one. It was more of a grape purple.

Maybe this one? My Homie Bunny from Echo Park 80's

Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more early 80's "CalStyle.......My Homie Bunny from Echo Park's OG Ragtop Latino LA Style!!

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
Some more early 80's "CalStyle.......My Homie Bunny from Echo Park's OG Ragtop Latino LA Style!!

Love those old pics from our neighborhoods. Not overly accesorised w/stuff that would get stolen and sold for a rock. it was bad enough the 76 balls would get stolen imagine how fast a roofrack would disappear.
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true, Man I just remembered when you mentioned the 76 antenna balls. I was supposed to go out one night with a g/f from the neighborhood but instead I shafted her but before that I told her I was going to go get some donuts with some friends and I never came back till late at night and when I went to go check on my car there were like eight or so powdered donuts on my antenna with the wrapper on the floor. I guess she got pissed!
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinwindows wrote:
So true, Man I just remembered when you mentioned the 76 antenna balls. I was supposed to go out one night with a g/f from the neighborhood but instead I shafted her but before that I told her I was going to go get some donuts with some friends and I never came back till late at night and when I went to go check on my car there were like eight or so powdered donuts on my antenna with the wrapper on the floor. I guess she got pissed!

Your stories never fail to entertain!!! But being the OG BadBoys that we all were and we still are , I bet she was back the next day with a raincheck and an apology, que no Wink
Richie_Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cool dude's and chick's from back in the day.

Cool
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this response on another thread and I thought it belonged here too, so here it goes:
I like to refer to this guy ( VWKIDD) as one of the godfathers of "Calstyle". This guy was breaking barriers while working for Jerry's VWHeaven and had his hands on alot of what the L.A. movement, particularly in the barrios of Southeast L.A. and ELA was doing to drive the Vdub craze thru the 80s. Not to be confused with a dechromed Callook vdub or even Resto custom. The term Resto this or Resto that, did not exist back then as most Vdubs were a mere 10-20 yrs old. CalStyle was a predominantly L.A. trend on the streets, (not determined by an old guy behind a desk selling magz) begining in the late 70s and blowing up in the early 80s and peaking by the mid 80s. It consisted of being lowered but not dechromed, stock soild colors (no 2tones) not overly accesorized ( ie,roofracks) as those would end up in the hands of baseheads, stock dashboards, again as to not tip off baseheads of any goodies they can steal and sell for a rock. Porsche Alloys were theee ultimate wheel of choice.This is what I consider Low and not always slow, oldschool Calstyle;

vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks J8Bug....I was just doing what I loved!!! and if you look at my pics they have dates of early 1983 but that is the date when they were developed not when they were taken like todays digital cameras.....Remember we would take pics and the rolls would just sit in your glove box for years before you would develop them....so these pics are all about a year older when taken around 1981-1982
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="j8bug"]I posted this response on another thread and I thought it belonged here too, so here it goes:
I like to refer to this guy ( VWKIDD) as one of the godfathers of "Calstyle". This guy was breaking barriers while working for Jerry's VWHeaven and had his hands on alot of what the L.A. movement, particularly in the barrios of Southeast L.A. and ELA was doing to drive the Vdub craze thru the 80s. Not to be confused with a dechromed Callook vdub or even Resto custom. The term Resto this or Resto that, did not exist back then as most Vdubs were a mere 10-20 yrs old. CalStyle was a predominantly L.A. trend on the streets, (not determined by an old guy behind a desk selling magz) begining in the late 70s and blowing up in the early 80s and peaking by the mid 80s. It consisted of being lowered but not dechromed, stock soild colors (no 2tones) not overly accesorized ( ie,roofracks) as those would end up in the hands of baseheads, stock dashboards, again as to not tip off baseheads of any goodies they can steal and sell for a rock. Porsche Alloys were theee ultimate wheel of choice.This is what I consider Low and not always slow, oldschool Calstyle;

That's right the Orange County CalLook boys were innovating the speed and fast VW's in the late 70's and early 80's but I was able to still compete on their level with the speed game.....check my Poloroid pic of my speed equipment circa. 1982!! OG BRM's owned 2 sets, 48IDA's, Firestone slicks, Joe Hunt Vertex magneto, Cima/Mahle 90.5 P/C set, Auto Meter tach, 10lb NOS nitrous oxide, some stuff just lying around my room back then.

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vwkidd"]
j8bug wrote:
I posted this response on another thread and I thought it belonged here too, so here it goes:

That's right the Orange County CalLook boys were innovating the speed and fast VW's in the late 70's and early 80's but I was able to still compete on their level with the speed game.....check my Poloroid pic of my speed equipment circa. 1982!! OG BRM's owned 2 sets, 48IDA's, Firestone slicks, Joe Hunt Vertex magneto, Cima/Mahle 90.5 P/C set, Auto Meter tach, 10lb NOS nitrous oxide, some stuff just lying around my room back then.

Without a Doubt!!! You were one of the guys leading the charge. Every barrio had them. I see you still getting down and dirty. I saw that sweet lookin green vert you posted. If you gonna do it the way it was being done 20-30 years ago during the golden era of this sport, post some updates on this thread so you can show the youngsters/mocosos of today how its done. We are still here bringing it, Thee OGs!!!
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us still infatuated with a merged dual exhaust check this beast out:
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
For those of us still building cars with a merged dual exhaust check this beast out:

It goes like that^
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinwindows wrote:
j8bug wrote:
For those of us still building cars with a merged dual exhaust check this beast out:

It goes like that^

Agreed!!! BadBoy then, still the true BadASS today. Check out this side view of that exhaust. It looks like he has a F#**$$N fighter plane hanging off the back of that car.... LOVE IT!!!!

j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F##**%$K IT!!!!! Here goes a mini Merge Duals Fest:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 89

Jump to: