Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Consistency of Urethane Primer
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Consistency of Urethane Primer Reply with quote

Can someone elaborate of when laying down primer is the consistency going down like an eggshell finish or should it be more of a flattened finished sheen when dry. I have been learning with urethane primer using an HVLP paint gun with a 1.8 tip/needle, and about 30 PSI with trigger down. I am learning how to lay down my own coats of primer prior to sending it off to paint eventually. I can do all of the body work but need a little advice here. I want to prime the entire shell with sanding in between each coat to build up and low areas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the thing, it depends on the brand. Some brands like Sherwin Williams primer dries almost glossy while some like Axis dry totally flat. Basically with primer unless you totally run it......you are doing ok.
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, different brand primers will do different things.
Also how much you reduce it will have effect on it as well.
Just lay down 3 nice heavy coats, let dry, and block it out. No need to put down one coat, let dry, sand it, put on another coat, let dry, sand it, ect..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: