Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grinder help
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Grinder help Reply with quote

Starting some body work and want some advice on what's best to knock down some welds. My compressor won't power pneumatic tools so I'll be going electric. I currently have a DeWalt grinder with one of those those thicker (3/16" or 1/4" thick) wheels, but wonder if there's something more efficient for the job??? Is there a better wheel for my grinder or a separate tool all together that you could recommend? Thanks
Jeff
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric is much better IMO, all i use at work day in day out. (4.5")

Knock 90% o the weld down with a standard grinding disc,

Then if you want a smooth finish go get one of these'

you can get the in various grits.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202830905/...reId=10051
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 here on that type of disc, I call them flapper discs- They will smooth welds in a hurry, just be careful to keep moving and not overheat one spot. For places they won't reach I have a Makita electric die grinder that I use several different kinds of bits and cutting wheels in, the cutting wheels can also be used to flatten welds with...
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you’re looking for a sheet metal grinding pad; once you have worked with one of these you will never forget it. They are sanding pieces that overhang like flaps -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.dexpan.com/abrasive-flap-discs-45-7-8-t27-a40-100-flap-disc-abrasive-metal-polishing.aspx
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this website!!! That's exactly what I was looking for and in fact I have one of those flap discs. I'll give it a shot. I like the die grinder idea as well. I'll have to look into one. Now time to try and weld my fender up without blowing anymore holes through it. I'm a complete rookie when it comes to this. Thanks for the info guys!!!
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make metal (copper or brass?) pieces you hold behind thin metal for welding so it doesn't burn through as bad, I've got a carbon stick out of some kind of old battery I use for the same thing... For places no one will see the back side of, I hold a long piece of metal behind it big enough to cover the hole, then I notch each side of the backer piece almost all the way through leaving the end just big enough to cover the hole- after welding you just break away the long piece remaining Smile
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop welding on your car and start welding on some scrap- you need to turn the temp down on your wire feed
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called it off. I did get some copper pipe and I cut a 3" piece off, ripped it down the middle on one side and hammered it flat. I fixed the first 2 holes I made, but in the process made a few more. I'm not gonna keep chasing my tail like this. I bought this, 90 Amp Flux Wire Welder
www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887.html
and it only has high/low. Worked great when I did some welding on my front beam, etc... but I'm finding out that it's no bueno for sheet metal. What's another alternative that you all would recommend that's inexpensive for a newbie with 110 outlets in the garage. Think I'll just sell this thing and maybe invest in something else if the price is good.
Thanks again for the help guys.

Oh yeah, the flapper disc worked great too. It was like butta!!!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flux core is tough on the thin stuff. If your set-up allows for a gas conversion, then go with that with some Argon-Co2 gas and .023 Lincoln wire. If not, get a MIG with the gas option.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if mine can be converted, but seriously doubt it. Do you have any knowledge of inexpensive migs that can be had?
banditwolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you just can't weld some spots up when the metal is too thin or rusty. Also use a thinner wire if you aren't. The page says that welder can handle .30 or .35 so try .30 if you aren't. And, No, you can't add gas to that welder. If you plan to do much more welding find a used name brand welder with heat settings.
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st thing I did was trash the wire that came with it and bought some different .030 from Home Depot. My fenders aren't rusted, but there was a 1" tear that has turned into a few hole. Haha!
Just looked at a Craftsman 934.205111 same as a Century 117-076-002 that's listed on CList. Can't find much info online, but it's a 90 amp 120V and the guy has a tank, regulator and 4 drawer Craftsman toolbox that the mig sits on top of with a nice add on shelf for the tank on the side. Sweet setup. It will take .023 wire which he has and a bunch of other spools of different sizes. Not sure I want to pull the trigger only because I know nothing about it. It says Craftsman Mig Wire Feed 20511 Welder or close to that on the front. Anyone ever heard of or used this one before?
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offshores wrote:
1st thing I did was trash the wire that came with it and bought some different .030 from Home Depot. My fenders aren't rusted, but there was a 1" tear that has turned into a few hole. Haha!
Just looked at a Craftsman 934.205111 same as a Century 117-076-002 that's listed on CList. Can't find much info online, but it's a 90 amp 120V and the guy has a tank, regulator and 4 drawer Craftsman toolbox that the mig sits on top of with a nice add on shelf for the tank on the side. Sweet setup. It will take .023 wire which he has and a bunch of other spools of different sizes. Not sure I want to pull the trigger only because I know nothing about it. It says Craftsman Mig Wire Feed 20511 Welder or close to that on the front. Anyone ever heard of or used this one before?

There nothing speical , but it will do the job. Anything with shielding gas is a huge step up.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157122
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: grinder help Reply with quote

Gas mig on thin metal is the only way to go. Depot, Lowes, Sears all sell them. Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: