Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

freeway flyer? or stock?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: freeway flyer? or stock? Reply with quote

I have a 71 Ghia with a three ribbed bus transmission in it It is running excellent but was wondering if it's a freeway flyer tranny in it. (the previous owner did not know) It has 205-50-15 tires, (in back) and at 1800 to 1900 RPM the speed is about 55 MPH (that's what my gauges say anyways) Does this sound about right for a freeway flyer or a stock tranny? Thanks
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '67 bug with '75 tranny gears and motor runs 3300 at 65 mph. That's 3.88 R/P and 0.93 4th. Yours running at that low RPM, I say freeway.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer? or stock? Reply with quote

johnnycrash wrote:
I have a 71 Ghia with a three ribbed bus transmission in it It is running excellent but was wondering if it's a freeway flyer tranny in it. (the previous owner did not know) It has 205-50-15 tires, (in back) and at 1800 to 1900 RPM the speed is about 55 MPH (that's what my gauges say anyways) Does this sound about right for a freeway flyer or a stock tranny? Thanks

The typical "freeway flyer" is where a type1 bug/ghia trans has its normal 4th gear changed out for a long 4th gear from a reduction box split bug tranny.

You having a 3 rib bus trans (this is from a 68/79 bus) would not be like that.

I think your rev counter is way off.

With 205/50/15 (23.1") tyres, these are very small

I bus tranny with those tyres should have you in the area of 3500@ 55

1800/1900rpm should be about 28/29 mph

Using an aftermarket 3.44 and bus .82 4th in a type1 trans (the longest gears i know off you still only get 46mph at 1900rpm

How ever if your front tyres are also 205/50/15 then your speedo is 9% over speeded, meaning your 55mph is only 50mph.

what front tyre size do you have.?

And I still think your rev counter is broke
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer? or stock? Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
johnnycrash wrote:

The typical "freeway flyer" is where a type1 bug/ghia trans has its normal 4th gear changed out for a long 4th gear from a reduction box split bug tranny.

You having a 3 rib bus trans (this is from a 68/79 bus) would not be like that.

I think your rev counter is way off.

With 205/50/15 (23.1") tyres, these are very small

I bus tranny with those tyres should have you in the area of 3500@ 55

1800/1900rpm should be about 28/29 mph

Using an aftermarket 3.44 and bus .82 4th in a type1 trans (the longest gears i know off you still only get 46mph at 1900rpm

How ever if your front tyres are also 205/50/15 then your speedo is 9% over speeded, meaning your 55mph is only 50mph.

what front tyre size do you have.?

And I still think your rev counter is broke

A 3 rib bus trans was used from 68 into 74 and typically had a 5.38 r/p, the 5 rib,also a 002, was used in 74 only and had a 4.86 r/p, 75 thru 79 was an 091 trans with 6 ribs and primarily used a 4.57 r/p.
My gut feeling is you are looking at a t-1 trans and not a t-2. Also don't forget that Ghias were the only VW to come with a 3.88 and .89 fourth. Hope this explains some.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer? or stock? Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Also don't forget that Ghias were the only VW to come with a 3.88 and .89 fourth.

Yup, 1971-1974 model year ghias came with a 3.875 ring and pinion and .89 fourth gear.

I also concur with prior comments that your tachometer is not functioning properly.
John K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: re: tranny Reply with quote

To answer the first gentleman who asked me tire size and make of tach, the front tires are 135/15 and the tach is a Sun Pro I do have access to a calibrated light tachometer at work so I think I'll check the actual RPM readings with what it says on the tach. I never thought about the tach being defective. And thanks to all who replied to my question I'm still learning about these best cars ever built. (o\ ! /o)
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: re: tranny Reply with quote

johnnycrash wrote:
To answer the first gentleman who asked me tire size and make of tach, the front tires are 135/15 and the tach is a Sun Pro I do have access to a calibrated light tachometer at work so I think I'll check the actual RPM readings with what it says on the tach. I never thought about the tach being defective. And thanks to all who replied to my question I'm still learning about these best cars ever built. (o\ ! /o)

your 135 tyre is about 8% under sized compared to a stock size tyre, make your speedo 8% over speeded.

so 55moh is actually about 50. Your speedo could also be horribly be out of calibration.

Use a GSP or modern to tell us what speed you speedo says when you a re truly doing 60mph.

Should be able to work out your ratios then.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: re: tranny Reply with quote

I do know my speedo is off The speed was determined using a GPS
donmurray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Ghia with stock trans (3.88 & .89 4th). Tires are Hankook 165R15. It does 70 mph at 3150 rpm. Tach is Dakota Digital. Speedometer checked with GPS & is very close.

Last edited by donmurray on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the speedos are off, even with stock tyres, they are on all cars
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: re: tranny Reply with quote

johnnycrash wrote:

Perhaps you have the tach set in 6 cylinder mode. A SunPro should have a cylinder switch for 4-6-8 cylinders.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy198712 wrote:
the speedos are off, even with stock tyres, they are on all cars
BS My 68 bus with stock size tires or tyres is exact, confirmed by a state trooper friend of mine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: