Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to the Forums and VW's
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
knotslippin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: New to the Forums and VW's Reply with quote

Hello everyone

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Guy and I just purchased my first bug. It isn't anywhere near stock. I was just hoping to get some opinions on it.

Only thing it needs is the interior.

It is a '63 with a '55? rear window. So far thats all I know.

I appreciate any info I get. Time for a crash course.
Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Forums and VW's Reply with quote

knotslippin wrote:
Hello everyone

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Guy and I just purchased my first bug. It isn't anywhere near stock. I was just hoping to get some opinions on it.

Only thing it needs is the interior.

It is a '63 with a '55? rear window. So far thats all I know.

I appreciate any info I get. Time for a crash course.
Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hello, Nice looking car. You'll get plenty of opinions here, perhaps even a few helpful but as I always say a proper education and knowledge about VWs is essential. If you are willing to invest a minimum amount of time to this your ownership experience will be much more enjoyable .

Your location in Florida is great so join a club, seek out the knowlegeable members because networking with and working on the members cars provides the invaluable experience you'll need to keep costs down because unless you are wealthy and have access to good mechanics your VW will require maintenance and repairs on a regular basis.

So what it boils down to is be rich, hire everything done or educate yourself and do alot of your own work while gaining personal satisfaction from being semi independant or the third road which I have not mentioned yet which would be mistaking this place and others as a last word on how to approach problems as they pertain to your situation .

I can't tell you how many people I've seen over the years become interested in VWs only to become disenchanted because of the maintenance issues and minor repairs necessary from time to time. Or they get bad information which ends up costing them alot of money, or they have expectations of what the car should be and then are not happy with what they have .

So that said choose a road and follow it, In my own case it began in a parking lot trying to change a clutch with only a sissors jack and a minimum of tools back in 1978 Very Happy cheers and good luck here's my one piece of solid info -> obtain and read Gene Bergs book of technical information and Tom Wilson's "How To Rebuild Your VW Engine" both may be available used on Amazon.com Very Happy
Hammarlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a separate Performance forum. Post this picture over there and you will get many more people who are familiar with this kind of set-up to look at it.
knotslippin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I will post it there
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: