Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't Seperate the Axle Mount from the Axle Tube
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollywooddippa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Can't Seperate the Axle Mount from the Axle Tube Reply with quote

I've got a '59 bug with a '64 swing axle, and I need to replace the axle/shock mount and get the tube separated from it. I hit the mount clockwise and counterclockwise and the tube just twists with it. I removed the metal dowel pin, but it doesn't really look like it would have made a difference if I didn't remove it. I tried to search the subject, but couldn't find anything that had my exact problem. I may not be calling or queuing up the right info.

Any help from you VW Veterans would be great.
(O\_!_/O)
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a press fit, and a tight one.

I once watched someone use an old dealer press with the proper fittings to press an axle tube out of the wheel bearing housing... there was a hydraulic pressure gauge on the press he was using, and it went all the way to the top before it popped loose. I don't remember what that top number was, but it was a lot of force.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hollywooddippa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the illustration. I guess I better start looking for one all put together and remove my whole piece. Can you pull the tube out with the trans still on the car?
(O\_!_/O)
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can, but I really don't advise it. The flange on the side is very close to the frame fork, and you really don't want to pry on those flanges to get them to clear - anything that might distort that flange is not a good thing, as it will lead to leaks. Seen it more than once!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: