Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing glued-down felt (?) on engine deck lid - late bay
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Removing glued-down felt (?) on engine deck lid - late bay Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a weird one, but my engine deck lid had some kind of fabric or felt (furry gray stuff) glued to it at some point i don't know if this was a factory thing, or a previous owner did some aftermarket treatment. but (probably because of the heat from the engine,) it's about half gone and what remains are these glued down splotches of crap that just won't come off. literally baked on to the deck lid. i was wondering if anyone knew about this, and maybe had a suggestion for removing this mess. acetone comes to mind, but it might have to be ground off. i'm planning repainting. any advice is appreciated.[/img]
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try some mineral spirits. It won't dry as fast as acetone and maybe a Scotch Bright BLUE pad, not the green one . PO must have used some adhesive.
pcullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes - interestingly, i did try that. didn't even have an effect. i hate to use acetone cuz it'll stink up the bus. might be a grinding situation.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Super Clean. The stuff is amazingly dangerous on paint and anodized stuff. It will eat aluminum also. Dilute the crap out of it and pour an ounce or so in a spot and let it sit for a few minutes and see what happens. You said you were going to repaint.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is remnants of the factory carpet. Good luck getting it off I had to sand and scrape it off. You are talking almost 40 years of hardening and the sun baking it. By the time you get it loose with acetone you will be higher than a kite, it will strip off all the paint in that area and just about the time you proclaim success an idiot will walk by with a cigarette. After the mushroom cloud, if you survive the blast, your tears will flood the street watching your bus go up in smoke. Get out the palm sander.
zzzdanz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try a heat gun
pcullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: hand sander Reply with quote

SGKent - put me off the acetone solution for sure. think you're about the palm sander.
pcullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: zzzzdanz Reply with quote

not a bad idea about the heat gun, though. i might give that a shot. couldn't hurt to try.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: zzzzdanz Reply with quote

pcullie wrote:
not a bad idea about the heat gun, though. i might give that a shot. couldn't hurt to try.

Heat gun will probably damage the paint. If you don't mind repainting that area then use a wire brush and safety glasses to wire brush it off. Sanding is slow but it lets you control how deep you cut - you can buff it out later.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with a heat gun or carefully applied propane torch and a coarse dish scrubber pad or scraper, if that failed I'd attack with a stripping wheel, little stops one of those.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they used the same cement that VW used to glue down everything in my 78 Westy the only thing that would remove it without lifting the paint was an eraser wheel. It takes time be sure to wear a mask and eye protection. Remember there is more than likely quite a bit of lead in the paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: