Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reduction Gear Box conversion to swing axle
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulfive5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reduction Gear Box conversion to swing axle Reply with quote

I have a bus transmission with reduction boxes that seems to be fried. When I was pushing the buggy, the transmission seemed to be in gear when the gear shifter was in neutral, and when I pulled the 40hp engine, the input shaft pulled out of the transmission. Is it an easy swap to a swing axle from a bug? How weird is it inside the transmission? Are the reduction boxes easy to split and remove? This is all on a piece of poo bugggy that probably won't see too much hard use.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A t-1 swing has the ring gear on the oppisite side of the trans, you will have to flip the ring gear, reset backlash, then r-r reduction boxes. I f you don't flip the ring gear you will have 4 reverse gears and one weak foward gear
Paulfive5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I'd be better off changing the whole thing and get rid of the reduction boxes. The spring plates on my reduction boxes are not notched to fit around the axle tube for a swing axle. Is it a big deal to change spring plates?
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulfive5 wrote:
Sounds like I'd be better off changing the whole thing and get rid of the reduction boxes. The spring plates on my reduction boxes are not notched to fit around the axle tube for a swing axle. Is it a big deal to change spring plates?

That depends on your torsion housing, If a t-1 housing was used then its a direct swap, if the original builder used a t-2 housing then a little fab work is in order
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulfive5 wrote:

That depends on your torsion housing, If a t-1 housing was used then its a direct swap, if the original builder used a t-2 housing then a little fab work is in order
Sterling VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im considering do the same thing on a brush buggy im building. i think my gear reduction bus trans is junk, not sure, rubber covers from trans to shafts are toast so id assume its junk......my tortion cover sticks out very far unlike my other buggies....i. need to find out what type it has befor i go much further.anyone got some pix/model years of the tortion covers so i can tell diffrence?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: