Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AC Industries Wide 5 Front Disc Brake Kit Installation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: AC Industries Wide 5 Front Disc Brake Kit Installation Reply with quote

About two weeks ago I purchased a disc brake kit at SoCal Imports for the front of my Baja Bug. I decided it was time to make an improvement on my car's braking ability and disc brakes always seem to be the best way to go.

The kit came with all of the parts needed as well as instructions, but as with most kits, the instructions are not always very clear.

I decided to post my experience here in case anyone else decides to buy this kit.

First, the old brakes must come off:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My only concern in installing this kit was that my car does not have stock VW link pin spindles, it has Porsche 356 spindles:

Because my car has Porsche 356 spindles, the brackets had to be clearanced in order to fit. The arm that the tie rod end fits into is much fatter than the one on a VW spindle:

Once the bracket was modified, it bolted right on. I used allen bolts instead of the stock bolts because I could not fit a socket into the recessed bolt holes on the bracket. Then I had to grind the heads of the bolts slightly to clear the rotor:

Next, I installed the bearings and seals in the rotors. I didn't use the ones that came with the kit. The Porsche spindles require an inner wheel bearing that has a larger inside diameter than a VW bearing has:

Then it was time to fit the rotor to the spindle:

After that, I had to figure out how the pads fit in the calipers. The instructions don't answer that question so it took some trial and error. I'm pretty sure the small one goes on the piston side:

The instructions say that the mounting bolts are two different lengths, but the kit comes with four mounting bolts all the same size. I called up SoCal Imports and they said it was an error in the instructions. Also, the anti-rattle clips are not the same style shown in the instructions:

Fitting the calipers:

A close view of how the anti-rattle clips fit:

Master cylinder installed. The reservoir was not included. The kit comes with braided stainless steel hoses, but I used the stock rubber ones I had. The ones that came with the kit seemed to be too long :

After pumping two 32 ounce bottles of brake fluid through the system without getting the air out, I made my own pressure brake bleeder using a reservoir cap, a wheel valve stem and a bicycle tire pump:

That's my story. The brakes work great so far.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon I will start working on the rear brakes.

Gear oil has leaked from one of the reduction boxes and has ruined the brake shoes. No disc brake kit is available for the rear, so I will need to fix the stock Bus brakes.

New seals, shoes and possibly wheel bearings are in order.
Barentine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting one of these kits soon, so thanks a ton for posting some info! Did you upgrade your master cylinder when you upgraded to disk?
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barentine wrote:
I'm thinking about getting one of these kits soon, so thanks a ton for posting some info! Did you upgrade your master cylinder when you upgraded to disk?

It comes with an early Bus master cylinder. That's the one I installed.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've put a few hundred miles on the car since installing the brake kit. It seems to be working pretty well, but it just doesn't grab quite as hard as I expected.

I suspect it's the cheap pads that come with the kit. They came wrapped in cellophane with no markings as to who made them or where. I think I can improve the stopping power with some better pads.

Also, I've noticed that at freeway speeds, it feels like one of the front wheels is a little out of balance. I did not notice this back when I had drum brakes. I will need to figure out if the wheel is actually the problem or if one of those heavy rotors is causing this.
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any more updates on your disc brake kit install ? overall was it worth it ? how does it stop ?

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new news. I just got married and the Baja Bug has been locked away in the garage for the last 3 weeks. I've also been busy moving and starting a new job.

Overall, I would say it was worth it. It stops better than the original drum brakes. I might get some better pads sometime soon. Still need to figure out was is causing the wheel balance problem.
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. We're looking to take the disc brake plunge and we're trying to do our homework. Thanks for your info.

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this kit increase the front wheel track?

I installed a AC Industries on my '73 Thing and they are fantastic. It does not increase the track on a BJ car, but did not know about the L&KP car.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kit is also from AC Industries and does not increase the width of the track.

For an off road car, this is not really very important. For a lowered street car it is a good feature.
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I applaud you for doing the install on your ride, assuming that a brake hose is too long and not using is not the correct thing to do. If parts come in the kit, use them. If you feel that something else is better or wrong, contact the manufacture. Assumptions are bad and even worse when it comes to braking.

Win a FREE Chassis Rebuild - https://airkewld.co/WinAChassis

Learn from a PRO on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Airkewld

FAQ - https://airkewld.co/FAQ

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

YouTube Channel - https://airkewld.co/SubSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Geezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Installing AC Industries Wide 5 Front Disc Brakes on my 1956 Reply with quote

I will be installing AC's Wide 5 front disc brake kit on my Oval. These have to be better then the stock fluid soaked stock drum brakes. I have experience with CB Wide 5 Disc brakes. I didn't want the 7/8" increase in track that they require even though they are lighter. I believe the AC units use Rabbit pads. I am using stock spindles. I contacted Russell at Oldspeed and he thinks these are a good choice. Russell helped me on my CB disc's as I could not get a pedal until Russell suggested one of his master cylinders. The order desk fellow at Oldspeed says he worked for the AC company and along with Russell they should be able to assist me if problems arise. Keep your fingers crossed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airkewld wrote:
As much as I applaud you for doing the install on your ride, assuming that a brake hose is too long and not using is not the correct thing to do. If parts come in the kit, use them. If you feel that something else is better or wrong, contact the manufacture. Assumptions are bad and even worse when it comes to braking.

I chose to use my genuine VW, DOT approved hoses and the results have been excellent.

I'm sure the "made in China" hoses that came with the kit would have worked fine. I have not heard any complaints so far from the person who bought the hoses from me.

Soon I will be replacing the "made in China" single circuit master cylinder that came with kit with a genuine VW dual circuit master cylinder to improve safety.
Geezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: China Hoses and other such items. Reply with quote

They are DOT approved. I'm running China BRM's on two cars and no problems, they to are DOT approved. I think we need to get use to the fact China is a big player, thanks to Richard Nixon. They have come a long way and are dependent on the USA to buy their goods. Heck even Rolls Royce has a dealership there. I'd be surprised if they don't windup being a World Power! Maybe even make airplanes and buy our overpriced houses.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: China Hoses and other such items. Reply with quote

Geezer wrote:
They are DOT approved. I'm running China BRM's on two cars and no problems, they to are DOT approved. I think we need to get use to the fact China is a big player, thanks to Richard Nixon. They have come a long way and are dependent on the USA to buy their goods. Heck even Rolls Royce has a dealership there. I'd be surprised if they don't windup being a World Power! Maybe even make airplanes and buy our overpriced houses.

That's fine. Almost every piece in the kit was made in China including the Rabbit calipers and pads. So far, none of the parts have failed.

Who is to blame for everything we buy being made in China is debatable. I blame American corporations looking to exploit cheap labor to maximize profits.

Quality control for Chinese products has been discussed many times in the past here at thesamba.com. I used my old bearing after reading of problems with bearings from China. I used my old hoses because they were only a few years old and seemed to fit better.

When it comes to aftermarket parts from any country, quality can vary from part to part. You just have to examine what you buy and hope for the best.

I've been very happy with this disc brake kit. It has worked well for the past year with no problems. I just wish someone would come up with a kit to fit the rear of my car.
Geezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: AC Brakes Reply with quote

I talked to Russell at Oldspeed and he told me that the pads supplied with the kit make lots of noise. He has a fix, different pads) $25. I will use the kit pads for now. Know what years the pads are for?
These have to be more fun to bleed then the CB calipers that were on my other car. At least the bleed port is at the top. That was on my Herbie clone. I was using a 2165 cc engine 110 cam 8.5 compression Redline 44 IDF Weber's
nice engine that fit the engine room.
I may go with a 1776 or 1914 in my Oval?
Geezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: AC Industries Front Disc Brake Install on a 1956 Oval Reply with quote

My original backing plate bolts are 10 mm X 1.5 pitch with a 17mm hex head. My 12 point Craftsman socket would not go into the counterbore in the mounting bracket. I went to So Cal Bolt in Montclair, Ca. I obtained a 8 grade bolt with a washer head and 16mm hex head. My 16mm socket fits into the counter bore and allows full contact with the bolt head. See the photos in the Gallery.
apozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: AC Industries Wide 5 Front Disc Brake Kit Installation Reply with quote

Excuses me Guys If I pull out this post many years after the last message but I'm going crazy with this conversion kit!
I want to ask you (especially refferred to the people which have this kit on their cars) a question about the thread of the two calipers mounting holes on the calipers brackets! I've attached a picture to explane which holes I refer to! In my kit there are 4 mounting bolts (same lenght) that are M9x1.25, 13mm outer diameter and 55mm lenght. The problem is that the thread on this bolts has many play in the mounting holes on the brackets and this is not normal !!!! The holes on the caliper brackets seem to be around M10 thread! What do you think about? I could built handmade mounting bolts but I want to undestand what's wrong with my kit !!! Another question......could anyone attach the installation instructions?
Really thank you
Stefano (from italy)

Reellegend01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Industries Wide 5 Front Disc Brake Kit Installation Reply with quote

Sorry to also bump this but I do have similar kit coming ...my question is did u paint the inner of rotors to stop rust????
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Industries Wide 5 Front Disc Brake Kit Installation Reply with quote

Reellegend01 wrote:
Sorry to also bump this but I do have similar kit coming ...my question is did u paint the inner of rotors to stop rust????

I used that kit on a build and I did paint everything except the braking surface.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: