Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VDO Viewline Gauges in a Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davcriv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: VDO Viewline Gauges in a Ghia Reply with quote

Hello Sambonians.

Many people use VDO gauges in their aircooled VW's. I personally see alot of VDO series 1,Cockpit, and Heritage style gauges (besides stock of course) as industry standard.

About 2 months ago i did some research on other VDO gauges and found the VDO Viewline gauges to be very appealing. They have the classic style with some modern amenities.

I purchased a set: Speedo, Clock, Fuel gauge, Oil Press., Oil temp and Voltmeter.

It took me some time and head scratching to get them wired up but now that they are in they look great.

i wanted to share some photo's of these gauges installed in my 69 ghia. If any of you have pruchased or are looking into buying these gauges I highly recommend them.
Wiring them was a bit different so if anyone has any questions please feel free to message me or respond to the post.

Enjoy!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: VDO gauges Reply with quote

Nice, looks very clean. I like that below dash gauge housing, matching it to the dash color was a great idea too. Did you fab it up or, if you purchased it, from where?

I'm about to rearrange my gauges so your thread is timely Very Happy

Dave
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a digital tach in the speedo or a digital readout for the speedo?
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
Is that a digital tach in the speedo or a digital readout for the speedo?

I'm pretty sure its for the mileage. But I may be wrong...
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Now I'm curious though. With all those gauges, a tachometer seems like a glaring omission.
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like nice install work, but I can't say I like the overall "generic" look of the faces, compared to the characterful original equipment gauges, nor do I like having an even smaller speedometer than stock. I think it would have looked better if the level of the top of the speedo bezel was even with, or above that of the two side gauges... beneath the "eyebrow" of the dashtop, the current configuration looks odd to my eye. And if it were my car, I'd have placed the oil pressure gauge where the clock is, and mounted the clock on the lower array, closer to the passenger, for functional reasons. Unless you have a trusty and vigilant co-pilot who can keep a sharp eye on that Oeldrueck instrument for ya. Wink
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice man, those gauges are lookin good. Very Happy
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Davcriv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Very nice! Now I'm curious though. With all those gauges, a tachometer seems like a glaring omission.

Very true......
A bit of a story with these gauges - I bought them on egauges.com as they advertised that they had a 52mm tach. When I recieved the order...No tach....I wasnt charged but still no Tach....I called egauges and they told me that it was on back order - call back in a month...I called, their response - call back in two months - called in two months - they said still on back order - so six months goes by and no tach - I called other companies and no luck. All advertising the tachs but nobody has them. I ended up calling VDO and they told me that they are still in the BETA stages with the tach and they do not have a release date yet.....so I got fed up, bought a clock instead and gave up - maybe in a year or two from now when they finally come out with them I will change it out - but for now a stupid clock.....
ovghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: vdo viewline guages Reply with quote

I picked up a viewline oil temp and pressure guage at Bugorama swap meet Memorial weekend. Just ordered bulbs and bulb holders for them.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davcriv wrote:
Quote:

Very true......
A bit of a story with these gauges - I bought them on egauges.com as they advertised that they had a 52mm tach. When I recieved the order...No tach....I wasnt charged but still no Tach....I called egauges and they told me that it was on back order - call back in a month...I called, their response - call back in two months - called in two months - they said still on back order - so six months goes by and no tach - I called other companies and no luck. All advertising the tachs but nobody has them. I ended up calling VDO and they told me that they are still in the BETA stages with the tach and they do not have a release date yet.....so I got fed up, bought a clock instead and gave up - maybe in a year or two from now when they finally come out with them I will change it out - but for now a stupid clock.....

Now, that makes all the sense in the world. Best of luck on getting your matching 52 mm tach. Smile
dnielsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have to program the warning lights on the Viewline gauges or are they already set? I've been thinking about getting some for my bug but can't find much info on them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: