Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket A/C units
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heronm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Aftermarket A/C units Reply with quote

I've looked at http://www.vintageair.com/ for a kit to go into the VW bus. Living in Florida, it gets smoking in the summer. I would like to drive the bus year round and not have my clothes glued to my body from sweat.

Anyone had luck in researching this option?
David Hopkins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in the same boat. I even went so far as to buy a parts bus cause it had a factory installed AC in it. the overhead one. i'd much rather havea nice hidden thing someplace.

im still looking myself, found the vintage air also found this one from hotrodair.com

http://www.hotrodair.com/vwpage.cfm
still waiting for them to get back with me on options.

more later.

David.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Hopkins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.. here we go again.. i just found this thread....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115895

with that information i found this. .....

http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/

so.. I called and order the system.. Ed the owner answered the phone and took the order. he'll be shiping the packages on Tues so i'll keep up on this thread on how the installation goes.

David.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
knoren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: A/C Reply with quote

I may be able to help? I just bought a 78 Westy that has an A/C system installed. The vent system in front is installed under original dash and has blower and stuff on it. I'm not sure if this is VW or aftermarket? Previous owner (last 5 years) said they never tried using the A/C and I don't think it is currently running. Since I live in the great Pacific NW there is not much need for A/C so I am going to uninstall. Anyone interested in buying the system? No guarantees it will work (but I don't see why it wouldn't?)? I can take pics if your're interested?
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as above. I'm going to pull an air conditioning unit out of a '79 Bay in the next couple of weeks. I don't want money, but I'd love to trade it for a brown middle seat. It's the T shaped ceiling mounted unit. It has the compressor (condtion unknown) all the lines and the evaporator and condensor are there. Everything looks to be in very good shape. (The compressors on these things are suspect however) I think my unit is the "DPD Over head unit, ZVW 805 5020". Check out Ratwell's spin on air cond. on "Bay Window Facts" 3.1. I think the modern compressors are much more efficient and may work with these old units. Ask Ratwell his thoughts. The shippping on this stuff would probably be steep!
David Hopkins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that same Headliner mounted T shaped unit, all evaperators, pump, hoses, etc. all still installed on my parts bus at the moment. I have it on good authority (Mark) that everything works well, it just needs to be charged.

Anyone interested in this system can contact me directly.

David
fastfred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: any pictures of this set up ? Reply with quote

any pictures of this set up ?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: any pictures of this set up ? Reply with quote

fastfred wrote:
any pictures of this set up ?

I fixed the bad link in the above post so it now does take you to Ed's site.

http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/

http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/Air/Bus.htm
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 30 years in the biz heard good things... they're in San Diego:

http://www.iceac.com/

Specifically for VWs, too!
onion456
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a gilmore installed in one bus and a non-functional dealer installed AC in another... some pics and info in my thread here if youre interested:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=285432&highlight=crusty

around pages 4,5,6.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnciacci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: 1978 Bus Aftermarket AC Reply with quote

My mechanic want to rip out my AC say it is just dead weight, if i do so, is there any one interested in this system? Is this a good idea?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Aftermarket AC Reply with quote

Welcome.
johnciacci wrote:
My mechanic want to rip out my AC say it is just dead weight, if i do so, is there any one interested in this system? Is this a good idea?

Possibly, what year is your bus?

Your mechanic sounds scary though Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
johnciacci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Aftermarket AC Reply with quote

It is a 1978 vw camp mobile with manual with fuel injection.

My Southern californianmechanic says it is not worth the hassle, but my central californian says its dead weight and no resale value.

The ac does work there just no freon and not sure if I can refill it in California.

The bus goes slow enough uphill 40-45mph and max 75-80 downhill with wind.

I think the mechanics rate is 87.50/hour so it would probably be 100$ for removal and leave the dash in the inside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KMMcDonald has a '77 with A/C. When it was rebuilt they replaced to orig. compressor with one of the late good ones. I think he says it draws very little engine power. The original compressor draws a lot of power and it's not good to overheat the engine. The difference here in the summer is burning up an engine with demanding extra load on the engine.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrade the compressor, replace all the o-rings, the receiver and the expansion valve, have a shop pull vacuum on the system. If it holds vacuum at that point, charge it. Look into RedTek or Envirotek as R12 replacements, or road-trip outside California (AZ, NV, Mexico) to get the real deal.

Modern rotary style compressors use 1-3HP, the old York uses closer to 8-10HP .. and it's a lot heavier too.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Aftermarket AC Reply with quote

johnciacci wrote:
I think the mechanics rate is 87.50/hour so it would probably be 100$ for removal and leave the dash in the inside.

It adds more than that to the resale value to most collectors as a complete system even if it's discharged, it robs no power just sitting there.

Now lets discuss why your bus is such a toad on hills, maybe your mechanic doesn't know what he's doing and is grasping for straws?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
johnciacci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Aftermarket AC Reply with quote

okay, ill leave it, its not hurting anything.

i thought 45-50 was standard for vw bus uphill!

the local mechanic SoCal wouldn't really search to see what the problem is going uphills he is just a go to and fix it guy but a fully loaded camper with two adults and a baby and luggage is probable 3750lbs total.

I'm taking the bus back to SLO to Broad Street VPA they are Go Westys #1 go to. They installed the fuel pump/filter, starter/solenoid and changed the main lead from the battery to the starter and added a pertronix electronic ignition 2 weeks ago.

Now i will go back to get the gas tank removed and cleaned, replace the clutch kit, throttle and clutch cables and inspect the FI system.

I might have a vacuum problem based on my copper fuel line broke 3 weeks ago on the left side and i replace it with fuel pressure grade hose that was 2.5" long now it's 1" long.
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Aftermarket AC Reply with quote

johnciacci wrote:

well 45-50 mph if your in a 71 or older bus with a stock type-1 motor

but your bus should have a 2.0 motor and with the fi you should have no
problem going 75 all day long anywhere you go

the hill needs to be at least a 6%grade for a long time
to go that slow (basicly a mountain not a hill)

here is my bus with the exact same set up you have on yours

stock 2.0 type-4 motor with stock fuel injection
stock 091 trans

Link

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Aftermarket AC Reply with quote

vw76westy wrote:
johnciacci wrote:

well 45-50 mph if your in a 71 or older bus with a stock type-1 motor

but your bus should have a 2.0 motor and with the fi you should have no
problem going 75 all day long anywhere you go

the hill needs to be at least a 6%grade for a long time
to go that slow (basicly a mountain not a hill)

here is my bus with the exact same set up you have on yours

stock 2.0 type-4 motor with stock fuel injection
stock 091 trans

Link

don't forget to mention that speed burned a hole in the piston if I recall....
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: 1974 bay window a/c stuff Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Posted: Today 2:18 pm Post subject: a/c cabin parts for a 1974 bay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies and Gents,

I hope I've done this correctly. It's the first time I've uploaded an image. I'm posting the same image in a couple of different threads, in the hopes that someone may have this part. I don't know the exact name for it. It's for the interior of the cabin on the 1974 and 1975 models. I'm interested in keeping the stock setup, minus the old york compressor.

Not sure if rolling around in the bus (sans a/c) in Florida in the middle of the summer is going to go over well with the ladies of the house. Rolling Eyes Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: