Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cheap Satin paint topic revisited
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
irestorevws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Cheap Satin paint topic revisited Reply with quote

OK, here's my delima. I was planning on painting my '61 Gulf Blue Sunroof beater with Jonh Deer Blitz Black but the more I look at the faded blue paint the more I like it. I had planned on spending as little as possible on it until the full resto takes places. I liked the idea of the $25 a gallon John Deer paint but they don't make a satin paint in another color. Does anyone know of pre mixed satin colors I can buy? I work at a Dupont shop and tried using their flattening agent in 72200 clear but it was wothless. I don't want to get too carried away since it will be restored in a couple years and I want to do it on the cheap. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.....
Vache
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I liked the idea of the $25 a gallon John Deer paint but they don't make a satin paint in another color

Yes they do, black is their most popular color but not the only satin color they sell.
Levonbenelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought some zero rust...it's relatively cheap, comes in flat colours and serves as a primer/topcoat. It's really good for keeping out the rust. There are many colours. I'm not sure how much the colours are but black and red oxide are about $50 a gallon and quarts are about $15.
By the way, if you like the paint on there now, why not leave it? Is it original? If so, definitely leave it Very Happy
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

painted my race car many years ago with Rustolium satin black. Local Home Depot sells only quart cans about $8 Quick and cheap whole paint job less than $50 bucks.
Rescue912
Ferdinand Sanford

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto on the zero rust. really tough stuff and comes in a few colors...
irestorevws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas.

When I stopped by the John Deere dealer I didn't see any other satin colors and the parts guys said the same. After it was mentioned that they do have other colors in a satin paint I called another John Deere dealer. Unfortunately they said the same thing. Nothing other than black and possibly a tan color. If anyones knows of a part number or paint code let me know.

Another idea I'm exploring is mixing up two quarts of the original Gulf Blue in base coat and leaving out some of the binder but adding the binder we use to mix the vinyl paint. Then I'll catalize the base coat and reduce it with the "fast" reducer. I think that will do the trick but there goes "cheap" idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyebeatbadgers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just painted my ghia a satin black for around 40 dollars. I went to the local ACE hardware, bought every cheap can of flat black spraypaint, and went to town. Laughing uh, not the nicest finish, but it'll do
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: