Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Ghia brake refurb
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: 1971 Ghia brake refurb Reply with quote

I know there are threads available to get brake rehab philosophy thru, but I have a specific inquiry regarding WHO I should allow to perform brake work on my 1971 Ghia.
My local VW mechanic tells me he will have to charge me hourly to perform brake work, and cannot be specific about the cost whatsoever. What I know about his work though, is that it will be done correctly with the correct parts as needed. My local Just Brakes commits to a guaranteed job for under $300 which is hard to resist. However, my VW mechanic tells me that their work will possibly damage the brake system as they will not be familiar with the Ghia brakes.
Aren't brake systems 'just brake' systems? I am not sure how that could happen, and seems regradless they would end up responsible for the damage they could supposedly cause, if any.
Experienced brake rehabbers, please tell me if I should trust a generic brake shop to rehab my brakes because although they are stopping the car and the master cylinder seems fine, there is a metal grind happening at low speed stops which needs to be addressed immediately. Thanks in advance!
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An experienced VW mechanic should be able to estimate a brake job with a fair degree of accuracy. Did he say why he would not?

The only part of a Ghia's brake system that is a little different than other cars is the master cylinder set up. Its not complicated but just different and could cause a bit of extra labor for someone who has never done a replacement. Are you contemplating a MC replacement as part of the job?

If not any competent mechanic should be able to do a brake job on your Ghia. I would have to say that even $300 sounds really high if all they are doing is replacing shoes and pads and bleeding. Are they planning to rebuild/replace the rear brake cylinders as part of the job? How about rebuild the front calipers?

Also don't let them resurface anything whoever does the job! Its a good way to sell you new rotors and drums.
AKO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local VW mechanic will not estimate the job until it is completely apart...then seems I'm obligated to pay whatever the cost to get it back on the road. My local Just Brakes is happy to tackle the job, but says it will exceed $300 as their estimate...that's just minor parts with no resurfacing. Even if what I hear now turns out to be metal on metal, still have them avoid resurfacing??
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKO wrote:
My local VW mechanic will not estimate the job until it is completely apart...then seems I'm obligated to pay whatever the cost to get it back on the road. My local Just Brakes is happy to tackle the job, but says it will exceed $300 as their estimate...that's just minor parts with no resurfacing. Even if what I hear now turns out to be metal on metal, still have them avoid resurfacing??

If you are metal on metal you will likely need to replace the drums or rotors as the case may be. Resurfacing likely will not be feasible.

With respect to the VW mechanic you could agree on a flat rate for the estimate - i.e., one hour of labor. If you don't like the estimate he puts it back together.

It should not take very long for him to estimate a brake job - pull the wheels and rear drums, conduct an inspection should be all that is required to determine what is needed.
cool karmann collected
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sort of understand where your ACVW mechanic is coming from, you could easily need everything inside the drum and the drum itself, but first He's got to get it off. I've seen badly chewed stub axle threads where someone didn't take the time to soak the big nut that holds the drum on, or in the case of my car, had no choice but to cut the nut off carefully with a disc wheel after I broke a 3 foot bar trying to loosen it. The front has less to go wrong on disassembly, but you could need new caliper seals or new calipers as well as discs & pads.

How much history do you have for the car? Any idea when wheel bearings were stripped and cleaned last? It's a good time to do it if the rear drums are off.

Can you tell if the metal grinding noise is coming from front or back?

Ant
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is everything you may need for your brakes minus turning the rotors and or drums.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
Now you know what materials cost. Id trust the VW specific mechcanic and it may not even be $300. There are specific tolarances for drums and discs you can look them up in the Bentley so you can determine if they are good to turn or trash. The "brakeshop" may do a great job as vw brakes are pretty simple...but $300 still seems steep.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these quotes include parts?

I would stick with someone who has done the job before. I can't see not getting a quote though. Ask the VW guy for the worst case scenario. Get ready for it, and be happy when it costs less.

The rotors on the front don't just come apart like modern cars - as the hub is integrated into the rotor assembly. Removal involves removing the wheel bearings. Replacing the rotors involves pressing out the races and installing them properly in the new rotors, repacking the bearings, and adjusting them properly.

There is more to it than what Quickee Brake and Lube is going to be used to.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I got 6ft worth and that was more than enough.
Kaygee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoid quickie lube, muffler, brake, etc. shops on general principal anyway but when it come to a vehicle like your `71 vintage you're inviting trouble.
Unless you personally know the condition of the hydraulic parts of the brake system, i.e. master and wheel cylinders, calipers, hoses and steel lines this job should be approached more as a system restoration by someone competent and familiar with the model. It's not a pad replace, slap and go, $59.99 special candidate.

We're talking about your brakes afterall. Accelerating is optional but not so much stopping.
ovghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: 71 ghia brake rehab Reply with quote

you could get a torq meister for $75 plus tax and shipping and check rear brakes yourself. front brakes pretty simple to check. This way you end up with a tool and know what the brakes need.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: