Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 vw beetle turn signal switch wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Molzen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: 1967 vw beetle turn signal switch wiring Reply with quote

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has installed one of the Chirco Automotive $39.00 turn signal switches. I noticed the wires coming out of my turn signal do not match the color scheme of the original. Mine has the following: a black wire with a blue attached wire with a tiny spade on the blue about 1/2 the width of a normal spade, a solid light brown, a light brown and white striped wire, a black and white striped wire, and a black and green wire. Also forgot to mention the brown/white striped wire have an attached white/yellow striped wire.

I have wired mine the following way but have not connected power yet:
black/blue: switch power 49a on signal relay to K term. on emerg switch
brown/white wire to terminal S on high beam relay
solid brown to terminal ground #31 on wiper switch
black and white to "T" connector on left turn signal harness
green and black to "T" connector on right turn signal harness
yellow/white striped wire attatched to brown/white "Have no idea!"

I installed a larger spade on blue wire to attatch it to the K terminal to make the connection like the instructions to my new Wiring Works harness calls for. I dont know what the yellow/white striped wire attached to the dimmer brown/white wire is for.
Anyone who can confirm whether my connections sound right or not would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the 67 take a relay that is both turn signals and hazards?
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
Mike Molzen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 67 has the stock 9 terminal turn signal flasher relay that controls both the hazzard lights and the turn signals. The hazzard light switch is wired to this relay by two wires. One from the 49a terminal on the relay to the k terminal on the hazzard light switch and a wire from the S terminal on the hazzard switch to the S terminal on the relay.
Hope this sheds some light.
Thanks Mike
Mike Molzen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update on my turn signal wiring question. I connected my battery today and blew a fuse. I was able to check the circuits with a light and traced it back to the new tail light bulb holders. the new holders allow the turn signal terminal to touch the mounting bracket in the assembly housing. I was unable to bend the bracket without damaging it, so I insulated the bulb holder. Everything works as I outlined in my initial post. For anyone who has installed new rear aftermarket bulb holders and has problems blowing fuses, make sure your turn signal bulb holder is both grounded in the tab/slot on the housing, and is not touching the inside housing bracket. It is very hard to see unless you shine a flashligt inside the housing when it is almost entirely in place. By the way for anyone wiring an aftermarket turn signal switch with a brown/yellow wire coming off of one of the brown dimmer wires, I found that everything works fine without connecting it anywhere. I capped mine and checked every accessory individually, and all accessories together. Hope this helps anyone out there installing one of these.
Thanks Mike
calvin_klein88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to test the hazard switch and 4 terminal flasher relay? Feel free to read the long version of why I am asking below.

I came across this post while researching how to get my bugs turn signals and flashers working. I bought a new 7 pin hazard switch with the visible resistor, and a new 4 terminal flasher then connected them using this post and the wiring diagram from this site. All bulbs worked when hot wired prior to connecting the switches. After getting it together I connected the battery and pulled the flasher switch with the ignition off. It began flashing so I got out and did a walk around. No signals were flashing and by the time I got back to the dash the whole flasher system is dead. No blown fuses, the constant hot terminal and ignition hot terminal have power appropriately. Just no four ways and no turn signals. I am replying to this post because I have the turn signal switch on the column with the same color wires as the original post. Any ideas? Back to my original question, how do I test the flasher and the hazard switch to see which one got fried?

Thanks.
mep67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a new turn signal switch on my 67 last week. The wiring outlined in the original post is correct.
I wired mine exactly as described in the original post to a new 9 terminal turn signal relay from WW.
I just rechecked all your wiring connections on my wiring diagram and they are correct. Not sure about the yellow/white one, I would guess you don't need it.
I had to cut/replace the spade on the blue wire also.

Calvin, what year is yours? I had some sort of aftermarket signal/flasher relay on mine. I decided to just replace the entire mess with a new 9 post terminal and everything worked great.

Do your signals work with the ignition on (mine don't work unless ignition is on)?
If your signals aren't working with ignition on, I would guess it's the relay. If they do, I would guess the hazard switch.

This is just an educated guess based on my car and your description. Sounds like your wiring connections are correct though.
calvin_klein88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I went through the entire signal system and found the turn signal switch is bad at every terminal except the high beam. I am cleaning up a lot of hacked wiring from the previous owner. All the signals still light up when hot wired, and I get nothing with or without the ignition switch on. I am going to get a new turn signal switch today and redo the whole thing. I will let you know. Oh and it is a 68 with an aftermarket turn signal switch as noted on the top of this post and what was a new flasher relay and hazard switch. Thanks again for the suggestions.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whay does this sound so familiar. Think .. Oh yeah!!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490231&highlight=aftermarket+signal

Which in the end leads to this..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453706&highlight=aftermarket+signal
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvin_klein88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok quick breakdown of what I have:

311953513B turn signal switch (New) with 8 Wires.
Grey- ?
Solid Brown- Ground
Brown / White- Headlight Dimmer
Solid Black- ?
Red / Black- ?
Blue / Black- ?
Black / White- Left Signals
Black / Green- Right Signals

211953235A emergency switch flasher (new) with 8 terminals including the housing ground
L- Left
R-Right
49a- ?
30- ?
015- ?
049 / 050- ?
58B- Soldered to resistor, ?
Housing Ground- Ground

Carquest FSH 7126 / EF26 4-terminal flasher (new)
49a- ?
31- ?
49- ?
C2 (bottom) - ?

All four bulbs are good and the fronts and rears are wired together under the hood so I have a left and right terminal. I am guessing the carquest flasher might not be right but I can't find a clear answer as to what 4 prong flasher to use.

Before I hook up all this new stuff I am hoping to get it exactly right and the diagrams available don't exactly match what I have. I have searched and everything is clear as mud. I am starting from scratch so if someone with more experience feels like helping me out to get this done right I would be stoaked!

Thanks
mrbigmax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin_klein88 wrote:
Ok quick breakdown of what I have:

311953513B turn signal switch (New) with 8 Wires. Refer to this article: http://www.airheadparts.com//turn-signal-switch-replacement-beetle-68-71-karmann-ghia-68-71
Grey- ? Not needed
Solid Brown- Ground
Brown / White- To Headlight Dimmer Relay. Terminal "S"
Solid Black- ? Not needed
Red / Black- ? Not needed
Blue / Black- ? Not needed
Black / White- Left Signals Connects to hazard switch & left turn signals.
Black / Green- Right Signals Connects to hazard switch & right turn signals.
No Black/White/Green wire? Need to connect with 49a on flasher relay. This connects to the flasher relay output. Where did you buy your switch?

211953235A emergency switch flasher (new) with 8 terminals including the housing ground
L- Left Black/White wire Left Signals
R-Right Black/Green wire Right Signals
49a- ? To 49a on flasher relay. From Flasher relay output.
30- ? always hot +12v from fuse box
015- ? switched on by ignition +12v from fuse box
049 / 050- ? To 49 on flasher relay. Supplies +12v to relay via Hazard Switch terminals #30 or #15.
58B- Soldered to resistor, ? Not needed
Housing Ground- Ground Needed for bulb in knob to work

Carquest FSH 7126 / EF26 4-terminal flasher (new)
49a- ? To 49a on hazard switch and Black/White/Green from turn signal switch. (This is the flasher output.)
31- ? Ground
49- ? To 49 on Hazard Switch. (Shown as "+" on wiring diagram. Provides +12v to the flasher relay.)
C2 (bottom) - ? To turn signal indicator lamp on speedometer

All four bulbs are good and the fronts and rears are wired together under the hood so I have a left and right terminal. I am guessing the carquest flasher might not be right but I can't find a clear answer as to what 4 prong flasher to use. This flasher should work. Compare to http://www.vwispwest.com/ebay/211953215C.jpg

Before I hook up all this new stuff I am hoping to get it exactly right and the diagrams available don't exactly match what I have. I have searched and everything is clear as mud. I am starting from scratch so if someone with more experience feels like helping me out to get this done right I would be stoaked!

Thanks

You have changed your circuit and it now looks like what is in 1968 to 1970 Type 1 VWs. Please refer to the following articles to help you understand how it all works.
Hazard Switch: http://www.oldvolkshome.com/hazard_switch_ovh.pdf
High Beam Dimmer Circuit: http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/hibeam4.gif
Flasher, Turn Signal & Hazard Switch: http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/signals.htm & http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/flash7.gif

I hope this helps...
calvin_klein88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I will give this a shot using the blue/black wire as the black/green/white as Mike did and let you know. I got the turn signal switch from Vee Parts in San Diego. The box has a bunch of Electrix and JPgroup.dk logos and is distributed by"Germany". No tell tale made in china logos anywhere.

Thanks again.
calvin_klein88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I got it up and running. I am a victim of basing my connections on wire color. I think all the turn signal posts should start out with a suggestion to look over the turn signal switch. Here is how mine is laid out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The top row is green/black, black. black/white. (Left to right)
The bottom is black/red, grey, blue/black.

It switches power in from the center and out to either side depending on which way the lever is pulled. The top and bottom row operate independently.

So for a simple 4 corner signal setup I used the top row of wires with black being the 49a input and black/white - black/green being my left and right wires.

My mistake was not confirming my wires matched those that others had used. I used the blue/black as my 49a wire which is not connected to the others at all in the turn signal switch I am using.

Moral of the story- check how your switch is wired!
Thanks for the suggestions and I apologize for the next level thread hijack!
Mike Molzen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I was just surfing the Samba and dropped by to check one of my old posts. I'm sorry for creating any confusion about these turn signal switches. Calvin, your right, it is best to take apart your switch to accurately trace your wires, especially with all of these cheap Chinese and various other switches floating around. The Chirco Automotive switch I bought came without wiring instructions and when I called to get any info, I was told to go to the Samba. I found everyone is just about as confused as I was. I hope you got your switch wired and working. I too took apart my original German switch to trace wires, but attempted this on my cheap Tiawan switch and damn near had to pitch it, but I was able to trace my wires. The other reason I posted today was another issue for any of you using these cheaper switches. After I first posted about wiring this switch, I ran into a week long battle with my horn. Everything from the wiring harness, horn and everything in between was new and wired correctly, but the stupid horn would honk every time I turned on my key and moved the turn signal lever. I did everything from replacing my steering column bushings, to re-aligning my already properly aligned steering rod inside the tube. Nothing worked. Just when I was about to give up, I checked the turn signal switch and the inner most hub was hot all the time. I took apart the switch and found some excess casting material on the inner hub rubbing a contact on the outer movable hub causing it to be hot all the time. Once I filed it away everything worked fine. These switches are not the best quality, and they sure as hell dont help you out with a simple wiring diagram but they work fine if your willing to spend some time trouble shooting and surfirng the Samba for problems like yours. Hope this helps anyone who has similar problems with their switch. Damn these aftermarket parts!
Good luck Mike.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: