Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rubber Mounts and Seal for the Fresh Air Box
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgh20180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Rubber Mounts and Seal for the Fresh Air Box Reply with quote

I'm posting this to help someone else that may undertake a Fresh Air Box Restoration.

I'm restoring the Fresh Air Box in a 71 Super Beetle. As is commonly found the 4 rubber mounts intended to help dampen vibration caused by the blower motor as well as the foam seals were shot and needed to be replaced.

With the help of an earlier post by Samba user 66foot and several hours of internet searching on my own I was able to locate 2 products that I thought could be used as replacement for the rubber mounts.

The first and least expensive but not the best match from a form factor perspective was a Square Mount V10Z 1-321B, from www.vibrationmounts.com, phone 516-328-3662. The more expensive solution and the best from a form factor perspective was a Square Mount S420-AA51 / 50 Durometer from Karman Rubber Company - www.karman.com, phone 330-864-2161 (I spoke to Jay in sales).

This part is not listed on the Karman website but it is what they had in stock and is the same form factor at the S420-42 and S420-52 that are listed. The price of the Karman mount is $8.95 each with a minimum order qty of 8 plus shipping. The unit price goes down if you purchase more mounts.

I received the mounts from Karman last week. They seemed to be a little on the stiff side so to make them more flexible I drilled a 1/4" hole through the center of the rubber in both directions. This softened them up but still left plenty of holding power. I installed them this weekend and they are a great fit.

As for the seals I found some black self adhesive 1/8" thick 2" wide pipe insulation in the plumbing department a Lowes. I cut it to the correct size and installed it.

I was fortunate that my blower motor was still working but I was able to find a local automobile electrical shop that took it apart and cleaned it for me. I tried a electrical motor repair shop but they didn't work on DC motors. I tried a starter and alternator repair shop and was told nobody repairs small DC motors. I finally found a shop that specializes in fixing automobile electrical problems that was able to help me. I don't know if they would have been able to help me if the motor needed parts.

I hope this posting helps someone in the future.

Below is a picture of the original VW mount.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Below is a picture of the Karman mount.

AEH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find. I ended up improvising by wrapping a strip of rubber inner tube around the original threaded studs after removing the original rubber. Works fine but not near as elegant.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful, thanks for posting
Wallyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mounts and Seal for the Fresh Air Box Reply with quote

tgh20180 wrote:
The first and least expensive but not the best match from a form factor perspective was a Square Mount V10Z 1-321B, from www.vibrationmounts.com, phone 516-328-3662.

I went the cheaper route and bought those 321B's, and it's not perfect but works.. photos:

Slightly Longer, and not nearly as big around. I had to use some small washers (#8 or #10, standard hardware item) to give the inside end a place to squish against, otherwise they sat kind of sideways.

Here you can see the overall size difference.

Look closely on the inner side, you can see the washer in there.

For the price, good enough. You definitely have to compress them to get it back into the housing. If you want cheap functional, these work. If you want nicely fitting and functional, pay the $9 each. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: