Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW T2 1976 2.0 FI engine problems (flooding)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlozzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: VW T2 1976 2.0 FI engine problems (flooding) Reply with quote

Hi! I'm new in this forum and knowledge of vw aircooled engines is very small. My bus is already painted but after fixing the oil leakage, my bus developed some problems. Before it started quite good, but struggled sometimes at idle. But now the engine floods and doesn't start with fuel pump on. When i disconnect the fuel pump, the engine starts and i can drive with bus. (injectors leaking???)

At the beginning i had high pressure mercedes pump on bus, i thought this was the problem, so i change it to original vw t2 pump, but that didn't work. I got 3-5bar pressure electric pump on right now and also i changed fuel pressure regulator(that was used, not sure it was working at all). Can you help me diagnose the problem, i'm out of ideas.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

What happens when you ground the wire leading to the temp sensor 2 on the LH head near cylinder #3?, do you have a spare TS2?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a port on the fuel rail with a small plug in it. You take out the plug and install a hose going to a gauge. Then crank the bus and watch the gauge. Your fuel pressure should be in the 30-40 psi range while cranking. Once the engine starts the fuel pressure should drop into the 28 psi range. Too high or too low is bad.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus had a flooding issue once due to a bad TS2 sensor as Busdaddy is alluding to. Pretty common failure.

But you also need to correct VW fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator on there both working properly putting out the correct pressure. It's never ever going to run correctly with a 5psi pump meant for a carburetor.
carlozzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temperature sensor 2 was broken off, so thanks guys i think this will solve the problem, but now my freshly painted door fell off( so pissed), so i have to repaint it. One problem solved, the new one comes( Murphy's laws i think).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: