Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How freely should my wheels spin?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knownolaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: How freely should my wheels spin? Reply with quote

I hope someone can look past my tremendous ignorance an help me with this problem.

I recently took apart my brakes on my rear wheels, and even without the brakes the wheel doesn't spin too freely. There is not much resistance when I am turning it, but if I try to spin it and let go it stops almost immediately. Is this normal? I was under the impression it should continue to spin freely for a while, gradually slowing down over time. Does this mean my bearings are bad? Should I just add grease? Or should I go ahead and replace?

Any help appreciated

Steve
flat4freak1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull the wheels bearing out and clean them of all grease so that its clean metal. Look to see if there is any pitting or scratching or scarring on the inside of the bearings. If there is then replace them. If they look ok then repack them full of fresh grease and reassemble. Try spinning wheels. Should be good to go then. Smile Best of luck!
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fronts spin easily. Rears don't.
Dont forget what is attached to the rear wheels when you try to spin them. The stub axle in the housing with the bearings, the axle shaft and 2 CV joints, The trans drive flange and bearing, the differential gears and bearings, and trans shafts, bearings, and gears. And the gear oil in the trans has a lot of drag.

Maintenance schedule is every 30,000 miles to tear down the rear wheel bearing housings and clean, instpect, and relube. The big question is when was it done last. If it's a new to you bus consider it very likely is 10, 20, 30, or 40 years overdo.
onion456
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good question (and answers), thanks for throwing it out there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Knownolaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful. Thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: