Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Berrien Buggies, change of ownership...(New Article Added).
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Berrien Buggies, change of ownership...(New Article Added). Reply with quote

http://berrienbuggy.com/

Last edited by manxdavid on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JamisonWorkshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I would have waited then I could have got the metal flake.

Always next time I guess.

At least that means more great parts close to home.
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to John Mickle at the Carlisle show.

This is going to benefit the buggy community. They have some new features for the Berrien Frame that they are to to release as well as some new products.

Acme Trailer is a full service welding operation that services everything from landscape trailers up to 18 wheelr trailers so they have the facility.

The bodies are going to be made down the street.
hcallaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to wish the new owners great success and to say thanks for what the old owners have done to keep FG DB alive on the east coast. Cathy has always been great to deal with and her parents are super nice people who have always tried to do the right thing as best I can tell!!! Wishing Dave and Sue a well deserved retirement!!
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOY did that just change the buggy equation for me. I've wanted a couple of their buggy frames frames but shipping always killed me.

That puts them a 65 minute drive for me! I suddenly see a Berrien chassis for my Machette Speedster body in my immediate future and a street rail not far behind that. WHOOT!!!
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn, you are going to splash a copy of that Machette for me before you get it mounted up right? Pray

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overheard the guys at the Acme display at Carlisle talking about this. Seems like a good thing ALA the quality of the products remains top notch.
Have not heard of Acme trailer works before. This got me thinking - what if Acme could also offer a small line of nice quality buggy specific trailers to haul buggies on? I see a bit of an open market for something like this as the general car hauler is way overkill for the typical buggy or even smaller car (VW bug or similar). A trailer with a 3K lb capacity would be about right (instead of 7K lbs), 13-14ft long? Hmmmm.....
JamisonWorkshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure they can make any trailer you want. They have a real nice setup going up there.

Can't wait to see what they can turn out.

You want a turn key buggy from ACME now they can do it.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gr8cobbler wrote:
HeidelbergJohn, you are going to splash a copy of that Machette for me before you get it mounted up right? Pray

If I had the means.. sure..... But I do know where you can get a brand new body. Smile
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
GPM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo the comments on Kathy.

She has been super helpful. I'd mailed Berrien as a last resort looking for some B & K windwings. She responded pretty quickly, sorted me out a deal on their ex display ones and shipped them over to me in the UK.

First time I've dealt with them. Great company, keys hope the customer service doesnt.change.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPM wrote:
Echo the comments on Kathy.

She has been super helpful. I'd mailed Berrien as a last resort looking for some B & K windwings. She responded pretty quickly, sorted me out a deal on their ex display ones and shipped them over to me in the UK.

First time I've dealt with them. Great company, keys hope the customer service doesnt.change.

Is that you Ben???
GPM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dave, certainly is.
Freightmate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
BOY did that just change the buggy equation for me. I've wanted a couple of their buggy frames frames but shipping always killed me.

That puts them a 65 minute drive for me! I suddenly see a Berrien chassis for my Machette Speedster body in my immediate future and a street rail not far behind that. WHOOT!!!

I am a new member on here and live just up the road from you in Chesapeake City.
I have always wanted to build a street legal sand rail but like you shipping was always a sticking point until now, also I am concerned about being able to get tags for a rail in Maryland, have you looked into this and if so would you mind sharing any info you have?.
If you haven't let me know and I will share with you what I find out, I am probably not going to start building for at least a year and only then if I have all the details I need to get tags for it.
crack monkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not to difficult from what I have heard. Once it is assembled you have to take it to glen Burnie to get them to ok it and get a vin.
empi pimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acme has built a street legal sand rail that they keep at the shop. Maybe they could give you some pointers which way to go.
AcmeCarCO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the kind words Reply with quote

Hello Everyone -

I wanted to start out by saying thanks for all the kind words and support for the big step we took in the purchase of Berrien Buggy. I also want to thank Dave, Sue & Kathy for all their support and help. This move has been monstrous. I believe we have about one more trip to Michigan left before everything is here in Pennsylvania.

We will continue offering everything that Berrien previously offered, plus some new features (metal flake is the hot one). We will be launching a new online store by the end of the year as well.

Acme Trailer Works (the original company) has been in business since 1982. What started out as a one bay trailer repair company has now turned in to 16 bay trailer repair, fabrication, and buggy company. We have partnered with a local fiberglass company and we will be fixing some molds an maybe introducing some new ones down the road.

If you would like to see some pictures of the move, check out our facebook photo album at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150914204227810.421702.72322552809&type=1.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to contact me at the information below. I would like to throw out the disclaimer that I am the most non-mechanical person in the company, so while I can't answer any of those questions, I can put you in touch with those that can. Very Happy

Thanks and hope to hear from all of you!

Bugs By The River - July 14th, 2012!!!!

Dan Mickle
Dir. of Marketing
Acme Car Company/Berrien Buggy, Inc.
www.AcmeCarCo.com
[email protected]
(717) 774-9450
@AcmeCarCo (Twitter)
facebook.com/AcmeCarCo
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freightmate wrote:
HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:

I am a new member on here and live just up the road from you in Chesapeake City.
I have always wanted to build a street legal sand rail but like you shipping was always a sticking point until now, also I am concerned about being able to get tags for a rail in Maryland, have you looked into this and if so would you mind sharing any info you have?.
If you haven't let me know and I will share with you what I find out, I am probably not going to start building for at least a year and only then if I have all the details I need to get tags for it.

I've talked to a guyfrom Maryland about his street legal rail up at carlisle in the past. His had Marryland street rod tags which by code is highly modifed from stock, but it stays registered as a VW. Insurance is probably a trickier issue.
Machette Speedster
AcmeCarCO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Conversion Reply with quote

Here is a picture of our (Acme Car Co) conversion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

@AcmeCarCo (Twitter)
facebook.com/AcmeCarCo
Mike_CNYBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed a set of rod bearings quick and I called auto zone and they wanted $75. Called acme and they had them for $12 and shipped them priority USPS and I had them in 2 days. They even transferred my call to the shop to make sure I was ordering the right part. I will definitely use them again.

While I was on the phone I asked if they would continue to make the Berrien 902 body and they said they have all the molds and would continue to make them. Might order a metal flake 902 body this fall!

I'm looking forward to seeing their revised buggy chassis and metal flake body's.

Kristen's Buggy (UltaViolet) Build Thread

VW Club of Central New York
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an opportunity to interview Dan Mickle, Director of Marketing for Berrien Buggy by Acme. Here is a link to the article if you care to check it out:

http://www.eastcoastdunebuggies.com/berrien_buggy_new_ownership.htm

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: