Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new to vw's need some literature
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethan17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: new to vw's need some literature Reply with quote

hello i just begun my sand rail project i'm new to the vw scene(other than my wifes 06 beetle) and i need to know the best books/manuals, best places to buy parts, and any fun tips. my first challenge right now is i've just bought a ball joint front end, and i'd like to do new ball joints and bearings all around. any tips? and what book should i be reading for this. i have a decent understanding of how it works but i'm sure i need to learn all whole lot more to produce a reliable and sturdy front end. thanks for any advice.
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people recommend the Bentley manual. There's others, they are just slipping my mind at the moment.

As far as replacing Ball Joints, it's pretty easy for the most part. sometimes they get stuck in the tie-rod and a good torch heating is required. Bearings are also pretty easy if you have a decent press to get the big main bearing in. If not, a big as mallet can do the job but its more tedious work. Just have to make sure that it goes in nice and straight and that it's seated all the way down.

By the way, welcome to the samba.

My '66 Baja Build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456365

Free from the evils of facebook Dec 2012. No other Social Media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ethan17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, i just pulled off the drum to have a look at the bearings and much to my dismay everything brake related was rusted away, funny thing is the bearings looked good. so i'm thinking an upgrade to discs if the price is right. any thoughts?
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearings, if packed well enough will generally never go bad on their own.

Before I can say anything about disc brake prices for ball joints, the wide fives are quite expensive, and 4 bolt patterns are cheaper, but still pricy. You might take a look for used ghia discs here on the samba classifieds.
If you want new, look for anything with "Bugpack" somewhere on the package. Bugpack is the way to go when it comes to the more crucial parts.
Bugpack is a Wholesale Dealer. So you should find someone who deals for them. Socal Imports is one off hand, I'll find more when I'm more collected lol.

one thing to think about when buying discs is that even at their price there is so much less work involved with them. no re-adjusting, no brake fade, no new pads (nearly as often as you would with drums) and much less hassle all around. Also, you can't mess up the re-adjusting so one side locks up first. I hate that.

My '66 Baja Build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456365

Free from the evils of facebook Dec 2012. No other Social Media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ethan17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so first big question.... what is the bushing/rubber material were the control arm slides into the beam? also if i pull the control arms off(to presss out the ball joints) are they going to go back in the same way or do i need to match mark or know something special?
Chrisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive for the Compleat Idiot by John Muir is the first book any new VW owner should own. It's not a Bentley, but it puts procedures in the perspective of a backyard mechanic and not a dealership shop.

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101

Also, if you're into the off road scene, this is a very good book to have from a play car to a full Baja 1000 car.

Baja Bugs and Buggies by Jeff Hibbard

http://www.amazon.com/Baja-Bugs-Buggies-VW-based-off-road/dp/0895861860

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: