Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 VW Super Beetle - Pictures
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Molly1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: 1973 VW Super Beetle - Pictures Reply with quote

Here she is ($4000 - 500 miles on engine and transmission...new tires...new interior):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice! Do you know what those front seats are out of? They seem to fit good and look pretty comfy..

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get that fuel filter out of the engine compartment Smile
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice start! Dump that 009 distributor and get an SVDA and you will be very happy. Also get rid of the gas filter in the engine compartment. You don't want your new baby to catch fire. I typically run mine were it comes out of the wishbone and above the CV joint.

74 Super Beetle (German Look Project)
Full Flow 1776 with 36 Dells, 4 wheel drilled and slotted disc brakes, Porsche 7x17 Turbo Twists, Topline Maxx Struts, Camber kit, 7/8" Front Sway bar, Rear Sway bar, Urethane bushings all around.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no half moon vents and a 60s style radio antenna? you got a semi-back dated super franken-bug! getting rid of the vents is a good thing though, as cancerous rot starts there, yours was probably repaired already and eliminated. car looks sweet though, can't get one like that around these parts for that price!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do the interior? I would like to know how the headliner was done. I want to do something similar to mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Molly1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the compliments! The interior was completely done by the previous owner, so I don't know where the seats came from or how the headliner was done. Sorry about that!

Can you show me a picture of where you put the fuel filter? I am not very technica (009 distributor vs. SVDA - not sure what you mean or what the difference is?l. Embarassed
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 009 distributor was originally intended for stationary motors used in industrial applications and is mechanical advance only. It doesn't work as well as the one that was originally in your car. SVDA stands for Single Vacuum Dual Advance and has vacuum as well as mechanical advance mechanisms = better performance under general driving conditions. The best place for the fuel filter is OUT of the engine compartment. Some people put it up front where the fuel line exits the gas tank under the car, others put it in front of the motor by the left axle where the fuel line exits the bodywork. More important is that the fuel lines and all connections are inspected regularly. (The best place for the filter as far as keeping crud out of the carb is "last in line" or right before the carb...."catch 22")

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
Molly1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanation on that. I like the idea of having the fuel filter right behind the engine compartment, as you stated. Ideas on where I can pick up the appropriate fuel lines as I will need new ones to make the change, right?
oldPSUguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice straight driver. My VW mechanic says that keeping the fuel filter replaced periodically, and the lines close to it inspected, is most important. Your car has had trim removed and vents removed but is still essentially stock. Think twice about customizing recommendations. Original beetles are getting hard to come by.
71superAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubllyou wrote:
The 009 distributor was originally intended for stationary motors used in industrial applications and is mechanical advance only. It doesn't work as well as the one that was originally in your car. SVDA stands for Single Vacuum Dual Advance and has vacuum as well as mechanical advance mechanisms = better performance under general driving conditions. The best place for the fuel filter is OUT of the engine compartment. Some people put it up front where the fuel line exits the gas tank under the car, others put it in front of the motor by the left axle where the fuel line exits the bodywork. More important is that the fuel lines and all connections are inspected regularly. (The best place for the filter as far as keeping crud out of the carb is "last in line" or right before the carb...."catch 22")

Mehhhhhhhhhh. Aside from the fire risks of the fuel filter in the engine bay, I don't like the idea of sending debris into my fuel pump. That's how you kill them.

That's why I moved mine, more than fire risk. Also installled some NOS german braided fuel line.
TjdTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71superAS wrote:
dubllyou wrote:

Mehhhhhhhhhh. Aside from the fire risks of the fuel filter in the engine bay, I don't like the idea of sending debris into my fuel pump. That's how you kill them.

That's why I moved mine, more than fire risk. Also installled some NOS german braided fuel line.

yeah, when i bough the car, mine was between the pump and the carb, obviously in the engine compartment Razz so i moved it behind the firewall and i definately like it there alot better. Looks neater inside the engine and dont need to worrk about fuell pump/fires. If you are REALLY worried about particals, put one underneath the tank and before the firewall.

Beetle Bums VW Club Member

Jamies74sb wrote:
I can't see myself cutting up my super beetle . Maybe a oval or 61 or so with the small windows
TjdTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, is it a documented 500 or is that what the PO says? Never trust a PO. They are probably going to be full of shit cause they wana get rid of the car.

Jamies74sb wrote:
I can't see myself cutting up my super beetle . Maybe a oval or 61 or so with the small windows
RDbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks in superb condition just drive it as is then do a restore a couple years or more down the line.

Cool
togatony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubllyou wrote:
Looks nice! Do you know what those front seats are out of? They seem to fit good and look pretty comfy..

I agree, those seats look awesome! If you know or anyone else knows what those seats are out of please post!
GatorJZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

71superAS wrote:
Also installled some NOS german braided fuel line.

Doesn't play well with ethanol.
TjdTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GatorJZ wrote:
71superAS wrote:

i use an additive that takes away the ethanol. Just acouple cap fulls at each fillup.

Jamies74sb wrote:
71superAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GatorJZ wrote:
71superAS wrote:

I use additives, too, but I will keep an eye on it. I came into a pretty obscene length of it, like 20 feet. Enough to last me years, haha.
Molly1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a documented 500 miles...he just said 'roughly'...and the odometer had stopped working, so I had that repaired. I believe the seats say 'Veracruz' on them...if that helps.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Have fun driving this summer. I would also suggest carrying a fire extinguisher for the worst case scenarios.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: