Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Vanagon Camper Issues in Alaska
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Hanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: 1980 Vanagon Camper Issues in Alaska Reply with quote

I am new to the forum and hoping for some technical advice for my 1980 vanagon camper. So the issue is when I am driving down the highway the bus "stutters" when coasting. If I am accelerating it does not happen as much. The fuel filter is fairly new as is the fuel pump, fuel tank, plug wires and engine for that matter. Before I had the engine rebuilt it was doing the same thing. Its acting as though there is an interruption in the fuel supply. What am I missing? Is there any secondary filters? There is some sort of diaphragm that comes into the fuel line just before the pump. Is this or could anything effect the fuel supply? Also, the integrity of the filler neck for the fuel tank is questionable. This as you know is exposed to the elements in the right front wheel well.

Please help this is driving me crazy ! I am at the end of the road in Alaska and good knowledge of this rig is hard to come by!
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your temp 2 switch. If you do not have a bentley the procedure should be here.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi_training_troubleshooting_manual.php
Mr. Hanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist, forgive my ignorance but I am not sure which switch you were referring too?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be a sender over by cylinder #3 with a 13mm head and black wire maybe 5-8" inches longthat goes to the engine wiring harness.

You want to make sure that the sender is well attached to the head, but don't reef on its delicate 10mm x 1.0 mm threads.

You will also want to make sure that the electrical connection it makes to the engine wiring harness is 100%. Use some needle nose pliers to remove the connection and clean it with sandpaper until it shines.

Been here?

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/TempSensorII.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Hanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did what you suggested Randy and those things all look good. But have made no difference. Can a fill tube on the gas tank that is held together by JB weld and tape (ie probably not air tight) cause problems with the fuel system/mixture/pressue? I know the tube is compromised because I have seen rock pebbles underneath the gas cap.
Swellchaser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly adjust your accelerator cable tightness at the throttle body. A few millimeters more could fix the problem if it has to do with fuel starvation.

Also check the points in your distributor and see if they have worn down. I had a kicking problem during acceleration and it was due to a Distributor rotor that had play in it
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Hanky wrote:
So I did what you suggested Randy and those things all look good. But have made no difference. Can a fill tube on the gas tank that is held together by JB weld and tape (ie probably not air tight) cause problems with the fuel system/mixture/pressue? I know the tube is compromised because I have seen rock pebbles underneath the gas cap.

Pebbles and sand in the gas is real bad news but I don't think those would create a consistent, repeatable symptom only during decel.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a screen on the tank. If you have rocks and other junk in the tank that will be a problem.
Mr. Hanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo....I drained the the tank resealed all around the fuel filler neck, changed fuel filter, switched points and distributer cap to no avail. He wont idle and is backfiring. Any ideas?
stickycandies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing?
Mr. Hanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another symptom is that the fuel pump sounds like it is working intermittently even though it is brand new.
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your van have the plastic filter before the pump and a metal one after? If yes,did you replace both? If it has one before the pump it may be restricting the supply of fuel to the pump. If a filter is restricted or an intermitent pump issue you should have a hesitation and misfire under load,such as hills etc not just on coast down. The fact that your filler was leaking makes me think that water and dirt have gotten in the tank and contaminated it.There may be a pick up filter in the tank,did you check to see it it was clean? Did you re use the gas you drained ? It may have water in it. Many times poor idle is caused by a vacuum leak in the intake area,check the boot from the air flow meter to the intake very close and any vacuum hoses for deterioration. It might be time for a compression test and leak down test to confirm the engine is mechanically sound and you're not chasing your tail.BTW if you replaced points,did you use a dwell meter to set them? That is the most accurate.Double check all the plug wires are connected where they belong after doing the cap. Just some thoughts.Good luck.
Vansbeengone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
switched points and distributer cap to no avail. He wont idle and is backfiring. Any ideas?

Quote:
Timing?

Seriously! When you swap points the dwell needs to be re set and the distributor advance needs to be re timed to 30* BTDC @ 3500rpm...

If it's a 1980 it probably has svda distributor. check that both advances are working properly.

If you mess with the points re time the motor...
Mr. Hanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovered a hole in a vacuum hose replaced that, and noticed the wire going to the o2 sensor was down to 3 strands of wire and reconnected that. Started it up idled fine, drove down the road 100 miles to my favorite fishing hole and it ran fine for the must part. Slightly under powered and slightly hot smelling.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good that is working, but i do not like your description of hot smelling and under powered (unless you mean under powered compared to other cars). You need to check your timing and maybe check that the O2 sender is working. It sounds like you have a California ignition if you have an O2 so no points for you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: