Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gear Oil Drain Plug and a front diff question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T in NPT stands for "taper" so no you can not use it from the inside.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, knew that but wasn't sure how such a tap worked - ie like a clamshell pair of taps that progressively get closer as you screw them into a hole being threaded? In which case it may work "backwards" as well. Though it would be a rare item that needed to loosen as you screwed it in to guarantee a leak if you tighen it - hah! Wait - I think the British use that "reverse leaker" style...............

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I learned the thread was a taper, which I confirmed at home with the trusty Verniers, I knew my options had just shrunk.

I went out and found one of the not so FLAPS who had a generic drain plug of the same size and thread as mine. I then cut two grooves in the sides at perpendicular angle to thread direction and used that to chase my threads as clean as I could get them.

I did this with the oil oozing over my hand to minimize the fragments within the case and then drained the tranny completely. Looking at te threads, they don't look too bad. The original drain plug went in nicely and started to bind up (due to taper) at appropriate position to get a decent snug fit and seal.

And this is the homemade drain plug tool. It's a Mercedes lug bolt (think it came off an SL, but don't remember) mated with a Mercedes lug nut, welded together. Cheap and effective.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: