Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil drips - strainer bolts
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trooper8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Oil drips - strainer bolts Reply with quote

Last oil change, I installed both new (cardboard looking) gaskets and new copper washers and it still drips from the little bolts. I would think it just had to be so, but at Pomona last week I say a sweet old bus with zero drips!

What's the trick, gasket sealer (permatex 2) on the gaskets? other?
Thanks
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe start with a new sump plate, they can get dimpled where the 6 nuts go due to years of overtightening.

I never have used gasket sealer, just coat the gaskets with some grease to "glue" them up.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the acorn nuts. They will fill up with oil but it won't reach the ground. Using regular nuts allows oil to pass.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=ht...=yfp-t-701

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
evilphoton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe more specifically.. use the acorn nuts that come with the oil change/screen kit. they are deeper than "standard" acorn nuts. the seal idea is that the nut bottoms out on the washer rather than on the end of the stud. if they are bottoming on the stud, no seal. I used a caliper to measure the stud length vs. the height of the acorn nuts, make sure the stud is shorter - when fully tightened - than the nut is deep.

however, mine still weep. i use a nut driver to make sure I don't over tighten the nuts. the few times I've checked them, they have been a little on the loose side, so check them every so often - i figure the gaskets squish over time.
VW 028 DVDA, stock 1600 DP
'00 VFR
'01 Blazer
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea As a former VW mechanic and the son of a domestic mechanic learned a old trick back in the late 1930's when observing my dad repair the "dimples" on old 4 bangers and later straight 6 cyl oil pans.

He used then a ball peen hammer to tap down the dimples while I used a sm punch slightly rounded on the VW oil plate.....same results.

Problem many have is not doing that and as a result are over tightening the 6mm nut which ends up stripping out the b lock and now the OIL LEAK..

I learned many tricks from my dad that are a bit different but in the long run are similiar in theory and lasting results.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top surface (facing the engine) must be flat. It's easy to fix on the stamped steel plates, but the aluminum plates are a nice improvement.
Mine are tapped for a 1/2 NPT hex plug.

Part # 93786A125 from McMaster seals much better than the copper washers.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-sealing-washers/=fkx1o7

The FEL-PRO Part # OS21625 oil charge gasket kit is the best I've ever used; 2 bucks at Rock Auto. It includes the copper washers if you insist on using them, but the buna/nitrile sealing washers noted above are much nicer.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=125859

With this combination of gaskets and washers, there's no reason to even think about over-tightening those delicate M6's.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mondshine's advice about the Fel Pro kit is right on. When I use any kit other than a Fel Pro, I have some seepage. With the Fel Pro I get no leaks whatsoever.
If you buy at Rock auto, you'll have to figure out how many to buy at one time to obtain the lowest shipping cost per unit. If I remember, getting 3 at a time reduces the cost the most.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: