Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T4 Eurovan chassis number
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
woofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: T4 Eurovan chassis number Reply with quote

Hi i have just brought a 1994 T4 transporter eurovan westfalia that went from germany to canada and then onto japan. possibly owned by a serviceman do you think? anyway it was imported into the uk in 2007 but it seems to have 2 chassis numbers? there is the vw (germany) number stamped onto the panel below the front screen (as has my t4 crewcab), but then on the drivers side b post there is a canadian vehicle id sticker with some weight details plus the chassis no: almost identical to the proper one but the zeds are replaced with other letters.
WV2ZZZ70ZRH****** is the vw one
WV2PD0707RH****** is the canadian one

why is this does anybody know??
Mzwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut 'n' shunt?
woofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, got fsh, never welded no rust vin number clearly stamped on panel where it should be, just this sticker on b panel which looks like the sort of conformity sticker you get in california, but its canadian. the * at the end represent numbers which are the same on both accounts....come on you canadians someone must have an idea
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zs are used as a filler character; sometimes they have meaning but most times they do not. The only legit example I have seen is the 4th digit in the 83-92 Vanagon (T3) where a value of Z means a camper. I think a lot (all?) German T3s have a "Z" as digits 3, 4, and 5. I have a German T3 here that does( it is not a camper,( and the ones I have seen on eBay did as well, I think. I don't have much experience with that.

The German VIN on your T4 decodes as:

W = Europe
V = Volkswagen
2 = multi-purpose vehicle
Z = 4th digit, vehicle series, no meaning for T4 H = Eurovan CL, K = GL
Z = 5th digit, engine, no meaning
Z = 6th digit, restraint system, no meaning
70 = model = Eurovan (T4)
Z = 9th digit, filler, no meaning
R = year, 1994
H = assembly plant = Hanover

The Canadian VIN decodes as:

WV2 = same as above
P = nonsense to me, means a 4-door base Jetta I think
D = petrol engine of some description
0 = active restraint system (manual seatbelts)

I have a 1994 T4 here, and the values for those 3 digits are (not a camper though)
4th digit = K = Eurovan GL
5th digit = E = highest power petrol engine
6th digit = 0, as for yours

I have a 92 and 95, they agree except on one the engine code is C

The P could mean a T4 camper, but I have not seen this before. I have a 97 T4 Transporter, series code is 1=pickup/truck, and body style is E = 2-door, and engine code is G = diesel.

I have a 1990 T3 camper, built in Germany and delivered in Luxembourg for a Canadian serviceman, then brought to Canada. It has a proper Canadian VIN, body style is "Z" = camper in this case, engine is "B" (petrol), restraint is "0". The conformance sticker on the B pillar matches the VIN plate on the dash.

I have a 1985 T3, German vehicle later imported to Canada. There is no VIN plate on the dash, and no Canadian conformance sticker.

All the Canadian vans have a conformance sticker on the B pillar, with a matching VIN. This is not something that is just done for imported vehicles -- it is on all Canadian-delivered vehicles as well.

Hope this helps,

RonC
woofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help RonC, that was more constructive Wink
kdane2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: This might be helpful. Reply with quote

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/projects/VW/VWvin.pdf

I have a problem with my 1993 GL T4, the car insurance computers, and this has happened twice now, say my vin doesn't exist. The difference is this for mine, WV2KD0701PH064173 is my VIN, if you change the D to a C it comes up, all it is is a different engine but it says its the same engine on that vin link (displacement and HP). But my engine doesn't have EGR, so I was told it's Canadian. Any thoughts?
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both C and D engine codes here, but as far as I know they are the same engine. I will see if I can find any clues as to what the difference might be tomorrow. That 9th digit is a check digit, maybe they actually are using that when they do the insurance company check? I don't know how that is calculated, but it is probably some kind of checksum. That link you provided says it is done according to NHTSA, maybe that formula is online somewhere.

One other possibility that has just occurred to me. On the two vans here (92 and 95) that have the C and D engine codes but (I think) the same engine. One is manual and one is automatic, so they would have different ECUs. Maybe that triggers a different engine code.

That would not have any effect on your situation though, I don't think. If the insurance company computer is checking the check digit, then possibly any change in any of the numbers might fix it, and the engine code change working might just be a red herring.

You don't say where you are, but all Canadian vehicles will have a sticker with the VIN on it as well as the dash-mounted VIN, as noted earlier in this thread. Does yours have that compliance sticker?

RonC
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:
That 9th digit is a check digit, maybe they actually are using that when they do the insurance company check? I don't know how that is calculated, but it is probably some kind of checksum.

When a VIN comes up as screwy, I always check the check digit. Sure enough, this one WV2KD0701PH064173 is incorrect. If every other digit is right, the check digit should be an 8. Here are the results of me playing around entering VINs into AutoCheck:

WV2KD0701PH064173 = invalid (incorrect check digit)
WV2KC0701PH064173 = invalid (incorrect check digit)
WV2MD0701PH064173 = invalid (correct check digit)
WV2KD0708PH064173 = valid, but no records (correct check digit)
WV2KC0704PH064173 = valid, but no records (correct check digit)

There's a '93 GL on AutoTrader; it's VIN WV2KC0708PH095443 contains a correct check digit and is valid in AutoCheck and results in records found. So, something is amiss with WV2KD0701PH064173. Be sure the digits are correct (sometimes they don't appear to be what they actually are: that check digit could very well be a 4, but it has faded into looking like a 1). Verify the VIN by checking all VIN locations (do EVs have VIN stickers on body parts like the later Cabriolets?) and verifying that they all match.

snowsyncro wrote:
You don't say where you are, but all Canadian vehicles will have a sticker with the VIN on it as well as the dash-mounted VIN, as noted earlier in this thread. Does yours have that compliance sticker?

All USA vehicles have a compliance sticker as well: VIN + bar code starting in 1990 (maybe even a year or two earlier, not sure) on the B-pillar door jamb, usually driver's side.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: VIN Locations Reply with quote

As far as I know, there are only the two VIN locations; the dash and the left door jamb sticker (driver side 'B' pillar).

I checked my engine codes. All engines are gasoline, 2.5L 5-cylinder:

'92 manual C
'94 auto D
'95 auto E

Doesn't reveal much, to me anyway.

RonC
kdane2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in California, and I have both VIN locations. Thanks for the info. I can't quite remember what happened 3 years ago when my old insurance ran the VIN, I had her change I believe the D to a C and it came up. Odd.
cap2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Eurovan chassis number Reply with quote

I just bought and imported from Japan a similar Eurovan camper (95), with a canadian door jamb sitcker , and have a similar problem:

The export docs from japan, and all of the japanese registration records show a chassis number:

WV2ZZZ70ZSH065059

but both the VIN under the winshield and the sticker on the B pillar show:

WV2PE070XSH065059

If I take the docs to the DMV to register, they are going to give me a title with the lots of ZZZ in the VIN. I want to be able to get a title that has the VIN that you see through the windshield, AND I want to be able to convince the DMV that the export doc I have from japan goes with this car.

My question is: Is there a chassis number somewhere -- maybe actually stamped into the chassis somewhere like there is on older transporters?

I know this question has been asked and answered in the negative. I am hoping someone has found the VIN somewhere else since this thread was last updated.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Eurovan chassis number Reply with quote

It has to be in two places for the US and I think VW does this worldwide.

I’ll peek at mine in morning
cap2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Eurovan chassis number Reply with quote

I found the VIN on the right side of the windshield on the OUTSIDE
stamped into the sheet metal.
but this one has Z's in positions 4,5,6,9

I looked at a few other eurovans in the neighborhood. They all have it in this spot. but only my '95, Canadian market Eurovan CV Westfalia (not Winnebego) had the extra Z's

That makes 4 locations for north american eurovans:
[list=]left side dashboard inside on riveted plastic plate
right side of windshield
sticker on the driver door jamb (this sticker also shows date of manufacture
sticker behind panel that covers the fuses by the drivers left knee[/list]
maico EV97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: T4 Eurovan chassis number Reply with quote

Bless you CAP2!!!

I was beginning to despair of being able to register my out of state 1997 EV because the dash VIN tag disappeared. The Oregon DMV could not find two exact matches for the VIN so it failed the VIN inspection (they would not accept the ZZZ characters found on the cowl).

Your identification of the VIN found on the fuse cover under driver side dash saved the day. I passed the VIN inspection. Yeehaw!

Thank you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: