Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overhaulin, Chip Foose, 1965 Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john7 wrote:
Dubbers Toy Box sponsored the rear fenders

Early ribbed fenders to boot! Shocked

The car.......not my cup of tea, but there is no doubting that Chip is an incredible car builder. His attention to detail is like no other. I also noticed the gaps, and they were perfect. Without the fender beading it can be super hard to get the fender to quarter gaps that perfect. Shocked
One of things that I did like was the wolfsburg emblem/hood trim on the hood. I thought it turned out nice. But, the position of the rear lights was hideous. Its to bad they didn't keep the early snowflakes in the correct early location. That motor sure sounded healthy though.
That said, I think its cool whenever a VW is represented on any type of car show. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
But, the position of the rear lights was hideous.

that really stuck out Shocked
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
I think its cool whenever a VW is represented on any type of car show. Very Happy
X2. Can't make everyone happy, all that matters is that the owner is. Very Happy
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Chip and the Overhaulin guys will ever read this, but thanks for helping out a VW guy. So what if it's not correct......it came out better than the HDF bus at least Laughing
Fab4Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Matco box full of tools was a nice touch too. do they do that on all new episodes??
ovalshark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Foose Reply with quote

It is very different, not the same ole thing. That is my favorite thing about it.
Everything is different, but goes together. I really like it, something new to the eye. They can take mine anyday! Cool

Last edited by ovalshark on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
DusknWeaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already said it was great to see them help the owner out. It turned out well, not my style. I liked it better before they started on it.
eye1u2see2020
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Foose Reply with quote

ovalshark wrote:
It is very different, not the same ole thing. That is my favorite thing about it.
Everything is different, but goes together. I really like it, something new to the eye. They can take mine anyday! Cool

I totally agree, it may not be what you anal retentive jackasses want, but it is a damn nice car, and I would be proud to drive it. Get off your high horses and just enjoy the beauty, it's not what you would have done, so what it's not your car anyway. Get over it
vwozzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the roof rack?
Soul Built
Pimpin' Aint Easy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it. The paint was killer.

The douchery in this thread sucks.
surftrip90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: chip foose 1967 bug on Overhaulin Reply with quote

Please be positive! That car came out awesome and amazing and he nailed it so get over your jealousy. You would be proud to own it or even drive it. He didn't molest it at all and improved the styling and lines. He got help and input from the VW community and they made a one off car. Yes Alice they didn't do a 100 point restoration like when it left the factory. Thats because Chip Foose is a artist, designer, and complete the concept kinda of guy. Open your minds and you will be amazed at what you can learn! I pray that Blake will get a lung transplant soon. Maybe you could do the same. Peace.
Fritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car turned out great and it will haul a$$ with that motor. Most importantly, the human element was very touching and it was nice to see Blakes dream come true. Very Happy
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad we could not get the lungs from one of the jackasses on here and give it the the guy, The car sure made his day. Good job the those guys who helped and donated.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
surftrip90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: overhaulin 1967 bug chip foose Reply with quote

The third type of people you forgot to count are the ones who scratch, kick, cheat, lie, abuse, and hate the ones who are trying to make this a better world. Unfortunately they believe in the great deciever and author of all lies and don't want to accept where they are ultimately heading. On the other hand there are giving, considerate, truely loving, genuine people like Chip and his crew who decided to come together and make a dream come true for someone that was deserving. Thats what makes this world tolerable in light of all the darkness that does exist! Lets work on being the light of this world and not the darkness!
quicktypeone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this episode last night (DVR rules). I wonder about a few things...

Since they shaved the door handles and eliminated the hood handle, did they install solenoids/actuators for remote entry? If so I wish they would have touched on that.

Why no tach or gauges other than the speedo?

Why did they enlist AJ/Low Bugget for the engine? From the Samba info, it appears he has a bad name in the business these days. Also, shouldn't he have known that the engine bay would need to be clearanced for the longer stroke/wider engine to fit, before they painted and did the body work?

Chip Foose is an extremely talented guy, but I didn't like how he chose to change the paint scheme AFTER he asked the kid which one he liked best (the kid told him which one he wanted but Chip decided to do something different).

Also, I think it was cool that they took the rear vents from the kids original car and integrated them into the older decklid. At least some part of his original car is part of the build and I'm sure that will have some meaning to him.

Speaking of the original car, did the kid get to keep it?

Overall it was a great episode and it was very exciting to see a VW on a show like this . Sure we would love to see more specifics and details, but for a 40 minute reality TV show I think they did a great job.

Oh and why no burnout or donuts at the end?! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the decision about a year ago to cancel cable since it was upwards of $150+ a month where I live, and not a lot of other options. Besides, most nights I'm in the garage tinkering. That said, all I use is Roku (Netflix), and any off-air HD channels I can pick up so I have NOT been able to watch this episode yet.

Does anyone have any pics of this car? I would love to see it! Thanks guys.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vwrascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car turned out slick! Cool I like Chip and respect his designs but IMO he should have stayed with what the kid wanted. Yes it's been done before but that was a classic VW two-tone scheme that he wanted.

Did they shave the drip rails?

VWCruisers-Virginia

'56 Polar Silver Type 1 Ragtop
'60 Caribbean Turquoise Type 1
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul Built wrote:
I liked it. The paint was killer.

The douchery in this thread sucks.

Right on!!! I liked the car a lot. I do believe they shaved the drip rails.
There are probably many elements that dictated the direction the build and program went.
I'm just happy to see a dub on tv and most important, Im glad someone deserving got their ride overhauled... What a treat!
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greg, no disrespect intended with my comment. Now that I know that W decklid was a beat up repop, it's all good.
Glad to see you in the middle of it on TV, makes me want to come back to Airway Drive, and hit that Mexican food joint with you and the guys again.
And just about ANY press for our little air coolers is good press Very Happy
Don't know Rodney, but see Scott @ Airhead every year, during the Vintage treffen from Portland down to Ventura, ask Scott about the trip through the redwoods down 17 miles of dirt road this year...(I *TOLD* that guy he wanted to close his Safari's....)

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Justin Jagare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quick screen capture

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am bummed that they don't show more of what they actually do...I love the story of the person being overhauled, but it is a car show about fixing cars, don't turn into MTV Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: