Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rust under side vent
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
superseed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: rust under side vent Reply with quote

i have rust under the cresent vent of my sb
looks like it has been leaking water from year one,72
the outter metal is rusted thru down to the inner wheel
well,the inner metal is also rusted but not as bad.
what would be the best way to go?replace the whole
1/4 panel or can i cut out the rusted area and replace it
with a new section
thanks
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.oeveedub.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scr...t_Count=49

depends on how much you want to replace... you could get the whole thing and only cut out the sections needed or have the whole thing replaced?

I have always just cut out the cancer and replaced the area's with hand formed sections of metal.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the welding and painting will be done by a shop then the answer depends on how much $$$ you have. Replacing the whole quarter panels is very expensive.

I would just cut out the rust and replace the sheet metal I take out. I would recomend you remove the insulation behind and clean/treat with POR 15 or equivalent. I would also block the ventilation whole by welding a piece of metal behind it, from the outside with the trim it would still look original.

Good luck.
superseed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help,thats what i was thinking of doing.
im going to try to find a good section at a junk yd
to replace what i cut out.making it fit perfect before
welding it in, has got me thinking. any tricks to doing this?
im on my own on this one thanks again
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Just made that repair yesterday!! Reply with quote

I utilized the interior rust holes to dredge out all of the foam first... Then cut out the rusted-through areas outside, just under the vent. I fabbed a patch, welded it in and then blew air inside the inner areas to dry off the entire inside. If you can get POR15 or acid etch in there, that ought to stop it for a few years... I have yet to finish the inside areas, but since they are to be covered with a new headliner,. I will simply patch with POR15 and fiberglass cloth. Once dry, it is as hard as sheet metal. Hope this helps... Email me for pictures if you want some visuals of the repair.

[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
superseed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the por 15 sounds like a good idea thanks
i have about a 4in. hole just below the cresent
where i ground out the rust.
i will be grinding in the area just above the rear fender
where the radius,hump is. how would i fabricate that detail?
i may have to replace part of the cresent also
thanks for the help Shorts
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Keifer says, you have to hand fabricate that area. Use a nice rounded body hammer, or ballpean and tap around one end of sheet metal until you can distort it like the original curve. This sounds like fun to me! I love doing this stuff... The inner area of the vent should be seperate from the outer skin so you ought to be able to seperate that before or during your cutting/grinding. Shape that section close enough that a little skim of filler is all you will need. In an area like this, you can get away with using a lighter gauge sheet metal, in order to use tin snips to fab the piece... I didn't tell you this!

Keep us posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
superseed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks again
cant wait to get started filling the holes back in
ill let you know how it turns out. taking pics as i go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: