Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bodywork situation...need advice
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Bodywork situation...need advice Reply with quote

So the bug comes back from the body guy today. 5 months later than promised, and $500 over the original estimate. I let all that slide. But then I find the gas tank is missing along with the spare tire, the bumpers, and alot of other misc. pieces. And, the interior of the shell was never sprayed. I had him just cover the car with primer, as I wasn't ready for paint yet. Well, the outside is covered, but that's it. This is a bug resto shop too! The interior was never touched. Anyway, so I'm pulling up the carpet in the rear package tray, and I find a hole the size of a silver dollar in the rear driver wheel well. He had covered it with undercoating when he sprayed the wells.
So I get to digging and I find a hell of a lot more bondo than I should, panels that don't line up etc.. Now I wouldn't gripe if I hadn't spent $3k on the work. I didn't skimp. I did my homework, found a guy with good recommendations, and someone that only did VW's. But what the hell, that's alot of money to have spent to find these problems.

Now to my question. I know most of you would say take it back to him, but the problem is, he's about 300 miles away. And I'm not real sure that I'd trust him to take it back. I have written the last check for $1500 that was given to him when he dropped it off (I wasn't home at the time), but I'm sure it hasn't cleared yet. I was thinking of putting a hold on it until I figure out what can be done to rectify it. Any other suggestions?
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: What to do??? Reply with quote

As a shop owner, I would advise you to be as courious as possible. Any offensiveness will kill all cooperation from your hired hand. Did you get a written estimate? If not, it's tough to gauge where you both stand. As for the parts missing, there is absolutely no excuse for that- Maybe they are kicking around in a parts loft or in another project in the waiting at his shop... Simple mistakes are made quite often. But judging by the quality of the repair, maybe it was more deliberate!

Umm- Others please chime in anytime- Good luck, and a pat on the back for doing your homework. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hold the check. I once paid to have new motor mount bushings pressed into the brackets for a water cooled car... The shop both tore them and pressed them in out of line... I held the check, kept my money and never went back. Since they never called me to question the motive, go figure! Confused

In your case, holding the check guarantees an opportunity to discuss the issues.

Take valid photographs of the concern areas! Best case, he discounts you and you find someone else to re-do... Worst case, People's Court! You can't prove much without proof, so get some now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: