Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What have I done?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it real?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
No
84%
 84%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 13

Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: What have I done? Reply with quote

I've been lurking on this site for a long time, but since I didn't have a VW I didn't post.

I just bought a buggy from the classifieds on this site. The seller says it's a genuine Meyer's Manx, but he has not authenticated it. Instead he had an expert from his area come out and look at it and the expert says it's real. I drove 900 miles yesterda to bring this home, but this morning looking at it without the 'red mist' I'm getting concerned.

What do you think - Have I been duped?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the dash, plastic or fiberglass?

Just over top of the shift rod access hole area, are there the 4 rivot holes for the metal tag, (verticle surface between the battery well and spare tire well).

Are there wooden blocks fiberglassed in on the front side of the front firewall and the rear side of the rear area to lift the body out of the mold with?

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nightmanx11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Area experts can be a bit of a joke.

The only expert in determining if it is a MANX is Bruce & Winnie Meyers at MeyersManx, Inc 760-749-6321.

Anyone else is just an "expert guesser"

It is not necessary to have a MANX to have fun with a buggy.

Build it, drive it, & enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
What is the dash, plastic or fiberglass?

Just over top of the shift rod access hole area, are there the 4 rivot holes for the metal tag, (verticle surface between the battery well and spare tire well).

Are there wooden blocks fiberglassed in on the front side of the front firewall and the rear side of the rear area to lift the body out of the mold with?

The dash looks like ABS from the front because it has a leather like grain to it. But the back has a woven look, which would be fiberglass.

No wooden blocks, and only 1 hole where the plate should be.

(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal

Last edited by Rathbone on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmanx11 wrote:

It is not necessary to have a MANX to have fun with a buggy.

But getting duped sucks a lot of the fun out. I believe It's cheaper to buy a car finished than to build it yourself. If I didn't care whether it was genuine then I would have just bought a finished buggy locally and I'd be enjoying it today. For some the build is the fun part, but for me the driving is the fun part.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am leaning non-manx. But Bruce and Winnie will confirm for sure. If you go to Meyers Manx site, it has instructions on what is needed to varify. I would suggest taking the time and money to see. I am not a expert, but I did not think woven glass was used on Manx bodies, only chopper guns.

I agree. 900 miles for a real Manx and it turns out not, could be a real suck.

If it does not turn out to be certified, sell the body, cut time and $ loss and buy a completed buggy if you do not enjoy the build. For me, 75% of the enjoyment is the build and I would build it and sell it.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent the photos to the Mrsmanx email address, I still need to call in with my credit card number. But the site says it may take 2 weeks.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...I don't remember seeing woven matt on mine. Sure..the prior owner could have added it but I don't think it came from Meyers that way (I could be wrong).

What is that tube under the side made of?

Does it have a dash support?
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time they had changed the rear end to the larger license mount opening, Meyers had quit using woven fiberglass fabric and were only using omni-directional matt or a chopper gun

The dash sounds like its made from woven fiberglass fabric, like the body.

All the Manxes prior to the Manx 2 had steel dash frames.

The front end of the reinforcing tubes were closed off and the tubes extended all the way forward to even with the front bulkhead.
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the tubes should come farther forward to be even with the bulkhead and they aren't closed at the front. The do extend in the rear really far - they bend upward with the body in back.

It's looking to me like the whole body is hand laid fiberglass. None of it looks sprayed on.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards non- genuine but wether you've been duped or not depends on what you've payed for it. If it's not genuine then it's an EXACT copy and looks to be quite well made. You could make a really nice looking car out of it if you wanted to be it a 'Manx' or a Meyers Manx.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The underside of the fenders (at least) looks like woven cloth versus matt and therefore different than what I recall.

My tubes were also not cut off.
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to start out saying that if you got it for a good price it should be a good project. I also want to say that it does not have to be a Manx to be FUN.

With that said I do not believe that it is a Manx. (final word would be from Winnie)

The areas between the red lines should not be glassed in this way. (if you look hard you can see the square layer of mat that they used to to glass in the tube. The tube also looks to be made up of reinforced vinyl tubing. (blue squares) Which I am pretty sure was never used by Bruce. You can also see red paint/gel coat under the mat which leads me to believe that it was done long after the body was pulled out of the mold. The tube would also be glassed in continuously. You can see the tubing in the right blue square.

The tubes should look like this:

Rear tube

Front Tube

You can also clearly see the chopped mat glass in the pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
The tube also looks to be made up of reinforced vinyl tubing. (blue squares)

True. The first tubes were wire reinforced plastic tube. They were cut offs from a neighboring manufacturing business that Meyers salvaged out of their trash. When the business discovered Meyers was taking them they locked up their dumpster.

Bruce then made separate molds for just the left and right reinforcing tubes. The molded partially round tubes were glassed onto the bodies
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at pictures battery tray and spare tire well look shallow (like for clearance for IRS arms), also rear seat area look to be sitting lower almost touching transmission.

I remember Bruce telling about the swimming pool vacuum hose remantants they got out of the dumpster for the tubes.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Looking at pictures battery tray and spare tire well look shallow (like for clearance for IRS arms), also rear seat area look to be sitting lower almost touching transmission.

I remember Bruce telling about the swimming pool vacuum hose remantants they got out of the dumpster for the tubes.

I think it's just hard to tell depth in a photograph. I think dimensionally they are correct. I only have an Iphone for a camera and it's terrible.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless if its genuine or not, build it, drive it, enjoy it.... Life is good when you have a buggy....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Regardless if its genuine or not, build it, drive it, enjoy it.... Life is good when you have a buggy....

Dale

X2

Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manx102
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

Dale

X3

Randy
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

Dale

Would you like to buy it? Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: