Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So I've got the chance to buy a Type 3...
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: So I've got the chance to buy a Type 3... Reply with quote

I've been strictly a Bug guy since I was old enough to drive and have never had a square or fastback but have the opportunity to buy a '72 for $350. For what it is, I think the price is a hell of a deal. Drives decent (steering shimmy at 55 mph, though), feels like there's tons of power (comnpared to the 40 horse in my daily driver) and the only real oil leak is the leaking oil cooler seals (his motivation for selling it).

My question is what am I looking at in terms of parts availability and pricing on parts? I know Type 3's are hard to find things for, but I'm interested in finding out exactly what the trouble areas are and what I should be looking for. It is fuel injected but as far as I can tell it runs quite well...especially for being only 350 bucks. The guy just wants out of VWs from what I can tell.

He also has a possible Empi Sportster buggy I have my eye on as well...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Type 3 that still has all the FI and runs and is driveable is definately worth $350. A '72 isn't that hard to find parts for. I picked up a complete '72 Square for $100 and have found a few that people were giving away. The running fuel injected motor and fuel pump are worth the asking price.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the chance to drive it, and it drove real nice. All the electrics worked, brakes were solid and other than the 55 mph shimmy it's a real solid beast. I almost feel like I'd be foolish not to buy it for $350 dollars.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
I had the chance to drive it, and it drove real nice. All the electrics worked, brakes were solid and other than the 55 mph shimmy it's a real solid beast. I almost feel like I'd be foolish not to buy it for $350 dollars.

You should get it then. For that price, you're practically stealing it. Cool The shimmy is probably a combination of a worn steering damper, and lack of the upper sway bar adjustment being done. I believe VW recommended it getting adjusted at every oil change, but Russ or Tram could tell you for sure. The adjustment is made on the right side, losen the grub screw, then tighten the bolt in the end, then retighten the grub screw. should take less than 30 minutes. Very Happy I realize I've over simplified it, but you can get the gist of it mainly by looking at it closer in person. The oil cooler seal leak will take longer to fix though. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, I think I'm going to pick it up then...the rust free part and the full interior and everything is the greatest appeal of the whole car for me. I'll have pics once it's in my hands! Very Happy
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
You should get it then. For that price, you're practically stealing it. Cool The shimmy is probably a combination of a worn steering damper, and lack of the upper sway bar adjustment being done. I believe VW recommended it getting adjusted at every oil change, but Russ or Tram could tell you for sure.

Check it every 6000 miles.

The adjustment is made on the right side, losen the grub screw, then tighten the bolt in the end,

"Then back the end bolt off and then just snug it back." Don't want to put excessive wear on the NLA bushings.

then retighten the grub screw. should take less than 30 minutes. Very Happy I realize I've over simplified it, but you can get the gist of it mainly by looking at it closer in person. The oil cooler seal leak will take longer to fix though. Shocked

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: