Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

starter
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
urchin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: starter Reply with quote

Hi I am wondering if anybody has taken a 12 volt starter non bushing style and changed it over to six volt. Wondering what needs to be done. The shopes around here look at me like I am nuts and say they can;t find the parts. I did look in the archives and it might be there but I could not find it. also is there anyway to check the alingment on the bushing for the old syle starter. This squareback is low 8,000 org miles on it and it had a rebuilt starter on it and bushing in when I bought it and it would not work I tried all the regular ground strap stuff took it to a shop they said starter was ok put it back in and nothing. just click click cklick. I was wondering if maybe the bushing is out of line in the housing. I really want to keep it six volt as the car is basically new and all the other wiring is good. Thanks Russ from Nova Scotia
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because of the age of the wires, I wouldn't be too sure they are in perfect condition. They age over time, not over miles on the car. After time, there is too much resistance. You can try a 6 volt hard start relay kit. They are installed pretty easily and are pretty cheap, and it may work. I had a similar issue, but the car would start fine when cold. The relay solved my problem.

Have you bridged the connections on the starter? how about tapping into the connections on the key switch? is the key switch in good condition?
urchin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: starter Reply with quote

Yep I tried to start it straight of the solenoid and got the same thing. Lots of battery I actually put 2 batteries in series for xtra cranking power. I put a ground wire from the starter bolt to the frame and cleaned all conections.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: