Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PAN SEAL
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: PAN SEAL Reply with quote

I NEED HELP ON HOW TO PLACE A NEW PAN SEAL ON MY 57 RAG.

I BOUGHT THE PAN SEPARATE FROM THE BODY AND HAVE TO PIECE THE CAR TOGETHER PIECE BY PIECE.

WHAT IS THE BEST METHOD FOR GETTING THE SEAL TO ADHERE TO THE PAN SO I CAN PUT THE BODY ON WITHOUT IT SLIPPING OFF AND ASKEW? Question

THE OLD TACKS I HAVN'T REMOVED YET BUT I PROBABLY SHOULD B4 I PAINT IT TODAY. SAND BLASTED THE PAN YESTERDAY.

THANKS,

ROGER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hath27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: pan seal Reply with quote

I pulled out the factory tacks and reused them. I also used seam sealer somewhat liberally around the corners and and anywhere suspicious.
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: pan seal Reply with quote

Smile Thanks for your input. I pulled the 'TACKS' and saved them. A few just broke/spun off so I'll need to get a few more somewhere. I agree that a little sealer under the pan seal would be wise and maybe a smidg on the top just prior to placing the body on the pan.

Roger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hath27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: pan seal Reply with quote

As far as the missing tacks go, I cant see any reason that you couldnt use 1/8" rivets to hold down the seal if you needed to. But thats overkill really. The tacks are there just so that you can place the body on the pan w/ out the seal moving. As soon as you get the bolts in, the seal is in its permanent location. So place your remaining tacks in strategic locations, and go for it!
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: pan seal Reply with quote

Thanls alot guys I really appreciate the info iIhave picked up in this real cool site.

I just picked up a rag #3514648 for $300 + lots of parts and 5/6 carbureators, new upholstery and new rubber, four doors and 6 fenders.

Search those storage yards for abondoned vehicles. It also came with a trailer that holds 3500 lbs. The VW was in it at the time. What a deal I sold the trailer for $300 to my buddy.

Another project!!!!!

Roger
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: