Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Go From Dual to Single Carb Setup?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc hopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Go From Dual to Single Carb Setup? Reply with quote

I've been driving my 64 Micro for the last 14 years with a dual Solex setup. It's a 1641 engine with high lift rockers. When I got the bus it had a single carb configuration (different engine) and sometimes I just long for the simplicity of a single.
Thoughts on a conversion?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Go From Dual to Single Carb Setup? Reply with quote

doc hopper wrote:
I've been driving my 64 Micro for the last 14 years with a dual Solex setup. It's a 1641 engine with high lift rockers. When I got the bus it had a single carb configuration (different engine) and sometimes I just long for the simplicity of a single.
Thoughts on a conversion?

does not sound like it would be a problem? what are your concerns?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a single carb on my 1835 with a mild stroke and cam. Heck in the past I ran a 1641 with a single carb with zero issues. If you decide to ditch the duals, let me know maybe we can work a trade + cash your way. I'd be running duals if I had the extra cash to spare. Wink

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will notice quite a drop in power, but probably better mileage.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
jeffreyned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently running a single PICT-2 on a 1641 dual port. It was supposed to be temporary, while I blow a bunch of air through the PICT-3 and try to get it to idle right. But I've loved the simplicity of the carb and don't mind the power loss, so I'm in no big rush to pull it off.
doc hopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Dual Carbs Reply with quote

My bus is primarily an around town kinda rig. Rarely take it on the freeway, not much in the way of hill climbing.

I'm just getting on in years to a point where climbing inside the ass end of the bus to adjust dual carbs and linkage isn't nearly as exciting as it was years ago.

(For that matter, neither is rolling around on the concrete floor doing valve adjustments)
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a PICT 34 on my 1776, and I agree it is much easier then constantly tuning the duals. Go for it.
The power loss was slight, the gain in mileage was slight, but the joy of not having to adjust the duals for altitude is awesome! Laughing Wink
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
I run a PICT 34 on my 1776, and I agree it is much easier then constantly tuning the duals. Go for it.
The power loss was slight, the gain in mileage was slight, but the joy of not having to adjust the duals for altitude is awesome! Laughing Wink

Interesting. I also had a PICT 34 on my 1776 and when I went to the dual Kadrons the power difference was huge. And the mileage sacrifice was also noticable. Maybe it has a lot to do with driving style With those Kads I am tempted to do 70mph plus of the freeway whereas with the PICT 34 I was happy to be at 65 and that is in a '65 bug with freeway flyer trans and big nut RGBs.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
zombievws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldschool holley bugspray on my 1835. it starts on a dime. idles and is great around town driving. it has decent power on the hwy. fuel mileage is so so. most people scratch there head or ass and ask why are you using that? it works for me thats why.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Go From Dual to Single Carb Setup? Reply with quote

doc hopper wrote:
with a dual Solex setup.

So they are already single port heads? If not you would have to cut a single manifold and use boots to connect to your dual port heads or else change heads and tins.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:

Interesting. I also had a PICT 34 on my 1776 and when I went to the dual Kadrons the power difference was huge. And the mileage sacrifice was also noticable. Maybe it has a lot to do with driving style With those Kads I am tempted to do 70mph plus of the freeway whereas with the PICT 34 I was happy to be at 65 and that is in a '65 bug with freeway flyer trans and big nut RGBs.

You live at sea level, I live at 7000'! Wink
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: