Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signals are acting as emergency flashers. The hell?!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guskillface
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Turn signals are acting as emergency flashers. The hell?! Reply with quote

So, in dash, going in either direction, both lights come on as if my emergency flashers are on. I installed a new relay, cleaned all the contacts and installed new bulbs. Still happens. Now, on the outside, the operation is correct. Knowing this, I should just reinstall my dash and tell my OCD to take it's meds and get lost. But I can't.

I've run through the entire wiring diagram, and I'm damn certain my wires are correct. Maybe one of you fine gentlemen have a handy solution, for I am sick of seeing all these damn wires.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the way it should work.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signals are acting as emergency flashers. The hell? Reply with quote

guskillface wrote:
So, in dash, going in either direction, both lights come on as if my emergency flashers are on. I installed a new relay, cleaned all the contacts and installed new bulbs. Still happens. Now, on the outside, the operation is correct. Knowing this, I should just reinstall my dash and tell my OCD to take it's meds and get lost. But I can't.

I've run through the entire wiring diagram, and I'm damn certain my wires are correct. Maybe one of you fine gentlemen have a handy solution, for I am sick of seeing all these damn wires.

Do you mean when you push up or down on the turn signal arm, all four signals come on?
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light in the dash is 1 light. It does NOT light the left arrow when turning left or visa versa... capishe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X3. Read your original question incorrectly.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bajaman73 wrote:
The light in the dash is 1 light. It does NOT light the left arrow when turning left or visa versa... capishe?

And all this time I had been thinking mine was broken Embarassed
guskillface
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously?? both lights in dash come on for the blinkers? interesting Very Happy

but yeah, emergency flashers work as all 4 outside and the turn signals work correctly outside. just thought i had a wire crossed to where they didn't work in dash. oops!

thanks, guys!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:

Well, that is the way VW made them to work. Of course, we all know down deep in our guts that it is
just wrong, wrong, wrong. All you need is a couple of the 2-terminal dash bulb holders and a little rewiring
to make them work like just about every other car in the world works, and as God intended.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
CessnaJon wrote:

Well, that is the way VW made them to work. Of course, we all know down deep in our guts that it is
just wrong, wrong, wrong. All you need is a couple of the 2-terminal dash bulb holders and a little rewiring
to make them work like just about every other car in the world works, and as God intended.

Not my God. They are just as my God intended according to the good book.
(sold - but not forgotten)
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Thanks for posting this...
I didn't realize that the Turn Signal Indicator Arrows were supposed to blink together in the cluster.

I had a bad bulb and replaced it, and then both were working... WTH?!?
but outside they were working correctly. I think I spent an hour looking for a ground or a connection I missed.
I kept trying to focus on that Black / Green / White wire going to the Emergency Switch, thinking I had it on the wrong terminal.

Finally decided to come search. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially the dash lights are on a positive ground, so when the relay grounds then the lights can 'flash'

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two turn indicator lamps, a left and a right. They are normally wired together. If you want the turn indicators to blink independently, it's not that hard to do:

1) Get a couple of 12 volt relays. Bosch cube relays will work. Terminal numbers below are for the Bosch relay.

2) Wire one end of each relay coil (terminal 85) to a front turn signal lamp wire. [You can't use the rear turn lamps because on early Bays the brakes would also activate the relay). Wire the other end of the relay coil (terminal 86) to ground. The relays should operate in sync with the front turn signals.

3) Remove the original wires to the turn indicator lamps. Insulate the wire terminals and tie-wrap them out of the way.

4) Wire one contact of each relay (terminal 30) to ground. Wire the other contact of each relay (terminal 87) to a turn indicator (use 0.110" crimp terminals). When a relay closes, it will ground the turn indicator, causing it to light.

Problem solved.

[You can also do this easily with a couple of mosfet transistors instead of relays. I've done it this way on my bus. If interested, I'll post a schematic when I get a minute.]

[By the way, nothing wrong with OCD. But you have to get the letters in the right order: CDO Laughing ]
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: