Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fender skirts
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIGMYBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Fender skirts Reply with quote

Hi, I have a few questions about original VW beetle fender skirts.
Are the original german skirts made by foxcraft? also does an original pair have the VW-1 stamp on the bottom of the lip and the other on top of the lip?
What was the last year did they stopped offering these as an option? my real question is , is there any way to tell if I have a 1950's or 60's or 70's set or are they all the same? Also, What is the real cash value of a set freshly painted OG turquise color mint condition with all brackets , seals ect...?

Thanks
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: fender skirts Reply with quote

DIGMYBUG wrote:

Are the original german skirts made by foxcraft? also does an original pair have the VW-1 stamp on the bottom of the lip and the other on top of the lip?
What was the last year did they stopped offering these as an option? my real question is , is there any way to tell if I have a 1950's or 60's or 70's set or are they all the same?
Thanks

Fox crafts is a US based company, not German.

VW-1 is stamped on the bottom of the skirt, I've not seen one stamped on the upper lip.

Post a pic of your set, I'm sure there are several people that can I'd them for you
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
DIGMYBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, here are some pictures of my skirts I was refering to. first picture shows inside and outside, notice the vw-1 stamp on inside lip on one skirt and vw-1 stamp on outside lip on the other skirt. last picture shows the stapled rubber seal. these are a matched pair that I bought off an elderly man 10 years ago. I had them painted original turquise . thay have all brackets, they are made of metal. view the pictures and let me know if these look like foxcraft or is there such a thing as original german skirts?
also what is the value, not looking to sell but just wanted to know what I have.
Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the pics, yes those look like original American Foxcraft skirts.

Real world value is about $400/pr But I've seen ones 4-sale with prices of $800-$1200. Do they sell in that range? I'd say not too often
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know VW didn't sell any skirt. A dealer may have carried a non official aftermarket skirt. I'm not into skirts unless the factory stylist design them to go with the car, but one of the best ones I've seen for VW is this type used on a friends car and notice the bottom lip of the skirt a rolled lip and almost straight from the kick up at the beginning to the flair off taper at the end.;
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr301/36hplandspeedracer/440-Copy.jpg

Here is a picture of a 1960 Eldorado .
http://www.hobbycar.com/60ELDO-08.jpg

The skirt is part of the body design along with the body side molding. Also cars that were designed for skirts only show a very small and crisp gap between the body and skirt. The body and skirt have very tight ninty degree angles to keep the gap between them to a minimun. To do a VW properly you would have to straighten out the rolled lip on the fender edge to make the gap look more seamless.

The most absolute mistake is to put a skirt on a car that was specifically designed not to have a skirt. This 1959 Chevy is designed with GM's "sweep cut" front and rear fender styling. Notice how the rolled raised lip of the sweep cut of the body lip interferes with the skirt. You have two conflicting lines......totally different from the Cadillac above;
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/1959-chevy-impala-chevrolet-archives.jpg

Last edited by Helfen on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 6 times in total
DIGMYBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mine also has the same bottom lip.
Thanks for all the info so far..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: