Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Won't Idle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: VW Won't Idle Reply with quote

Maybe someone here can help. I have a stock 1500 S/P motor to start with. Just the last couple days I cannot get the car to idle. It will start but then it just dies. I have an electric fuel pump and that seems to be working just fine. Could it be something to with the distributor, points maybe. The coil? I am just not sure. If you can help thanks.

Jason
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: VW Won't Idle Reply with quote

rebuild the carb. If it hasn't run for a long time it is probly gummed up. Clean the bow and the put a new acc. pump in and try to force it to run by chockin g it with your hand over the top of the carb make sure its getting fuel and make sure the idle stop on the carb is hooked up.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: VW Won't Idle Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply man. All that was done two days ago and still have the problem!?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: VW Won't Idle Reply with quote

Will the car run if you keep on the gas?
I don't think it would be a spark problem since it will start. Honestly, it sounds like a fuel delivery problem and I would have suggested the carb rebuild as well. My friends bug just did the same, but died even if he kept on the gas. After a new fuel pump it turned out to need the carb rebuilt. You've already done that, so You should probably disconnect the carb fuel hose to make sure the pump is flowing enough gas. If not, it's the pump, if so, then I'd look back to the carburetor.
Jeff H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: VW Won't Idle Reply with quote

It may be something as simple as a plugged idle jet.

JSH
vicsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: VW Won't Idle Reply with quote

Check out this page. Hope it helps. See-> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/wontIdle.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: VW Won't Idle Reply with quote

Thanks for your all your help guys!!! It even dies with foot on the gas. I am gonna try all the things suggested tomorrow. I checked the points and was getting no spark when the engine would turn over so I am replacing all that tomorrow and then go from there. If you want to check out what the car looks like if interested check out - http://www.my62ragtop.com
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Idle problems Reply with quote

I was having problems with my buggy not running came to realize that fuel was running out of carb from everywhere. I rebuilt carb now cant get engine to idle, Runs perfectly when on the gas starts fine and idles when choke is engaged but soon as choke releases it shuts off. I was running a 116 jet I put a 125 in and no luck. Please help
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which carb?
Does it have an idle solenoid shut off valve?

Have found it takes at least two if not three cleanings of the carb to get rid of all the gunk in the passages out.
1964BugOwner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Which carb?
Does it have an idle solenoid shut off valve?

Have found it takes at least two if not three cleanings of the carb to get rid of all the gunk in the passages out.

X2 one this. Also check your float valve above you float mine was clogged , it would start then die.
uglyduckling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: 1976 vw bus starts, runs, but dies when i let off gas Reply with quote

my bus runs awesome and i havent had any problems until now. it will start up fine as long as i pump the gas and it runs fine until i have to stop. once i let off the gas to a stop it dies every time. the battery lights on and has been for a little while now but i dont think thats my problem? i plan on getting my battery life check here in the next couple days though. Whats wrong with my bus ?! :/
uglyduckling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

didnt mean to steal your wall man i forgot i was looking at your idle issues when i posted it! MB
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: sorry Reply with quote

uglyduckling wrote:
didnt mean to steal your wall man i forgot i was looking at your idle issues when i posted it! MB

That is not a big deal and accepted.

As above what carb?

Check idle shut off solenoid if it has one.

Clean carb if need be.

FIX THE GEN LIGHT NOW!!! Without that working you will not know when you loose the fan belt that drives the generator. With fan not running for just a few minutes you will need an engine rebuild...........
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: VW Won't Idle Reply with quote

" I checked the points and was getting no spark when the engine would turn over so I am replacing all that tomorrow and then go from there..."
Well there you go... Cool
Soap Doc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue and it turned out ti be the little pin in the fuel pump had come loose right above the 13mm nuts that bolt the pump down. the pin had slipped out a bit due to a missing c clip. for now I wrapped a zip tie around it until I can get a couple c clips this weekend. now it runs fine...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: