Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator Pedal Stop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brionp wrote:
So now that we know all about Accelerator Pedal Stops. And now that my life is not complete any more. Not to mention my poor old Bus that seems to be eternally doomed. Does anyone know where I can easily purchase one on the internet and have it magically appear on my door step. Or do I have to grovel before the Gatekeeper of Interstate one more time and beg for another piece of unobtanium?

Keep your eyes on the classifieds.. or I'll sell you mine for one BILLION dollars. Laughing
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a photo and the part number so try a Samba wanted add. Otherwise a parts bus or Interstate, Small Car Connection, Blair and Son, etc. They would be glad to run out in the yard and pull it and charge you accordingly.
Unless you want to have your bus 100% factory then make your own stop to do the same function. Bend up or form an equivelant bracket and pop rivet it to the floor.
The plastic part won't do all that much good unless you also have a good stock pedal with the tab on it. The entire pedal system is just that, a system. The pedal, the hinge, the stop, connecting rod and the linkage pivot underneath the floor. If anything above the floor is not as original it will mess up the pivot under the floor. That pivot is intended to swing thru the right arc when pulling the cable. Messed up parts will mess up the remainder of the system.

Yes, Steve it was neighborly to expose the fictious old wives tale dead in it's tracks. And somewhere I heard a big moan and it sounded like Karl Sad Yes, probably at least 6 Haboobs in the last 4 weeks. Even 2 just a couple hours apart. I'm tired of the dust, sand, little airborne cacti needles and filth. Thanks for the filter reminder. Wink Heading out on a trip in the morning and probably should re oil the K & N style steel mesh filters.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
should re oil the K & N style steel mesh filters.

sounds like a good thing to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brionp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You. There are none that I can find right now in the classifieds. And the VW part number does not compute any more for this part. But I live ten minutes away from Lake Elsinore. I need a few other things so this Saturday I'll go talk to Jim. I just fall into a time warp every time I go there. It is so crazy how timely this thread is for me. I thought I was finally done with the front floors last weekend. Thanks Again.
Brionp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Interstate this morning and Jim had never heard of, or seen one. I went through all of his bins and checked at least 30 early busses and did not find a one. I spent four hours there rooting around. I meant to bring the camera so I could share because it really is an amazing VW boneyard. Next time. I did find this at a garage sale and thought it was pretty cool. A German Diplomatic License Plate.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the benefit of all those poor unfortunates who are lacking their plastic pedal stop, and can't find
a genuine replacement, the distance from the metal floor to the top of the stop is 21 mm, and from
the stock rubber mat is 17.5 mm (roughly: the mat is a somewhat bumpy). Seems like it would be
really easy to make a little block of wood that height and fasten it with screws/washers thru the
original mounting holes. Paint it black, if you must.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOOHHHHH Who's gonna be first??? Here it is!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1338987

FWIW: The '69 Double Door Panel I bought last month has the pedal stop and the correct pedal already or I woulda snatched that thing up. Good price too, and none of the plastic tabs are broken.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally a rePlacement. Here it is guys, found in my Internet trolling for parts. We are lucky that bus-ok is repopping these.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1436020

I have couple ordered and will report back on quality when I recieve them.
ncstagger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How weird, I was just installing new pedal boots and pads and was wondering what those holes in the floor/mat were for.

And
now
I
know
Very Happy

Resto thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549162

"Take your most realistic time frame and dollar amount.. then add half of that amount. When you get that total... double it. Only then will you be in the ballpark." - sofaking
Dead 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brionp wrote:
I went to Interstate this morning and Jim had never heard of, or seen one. I went through all of his bins and checked at least 30 early busses and did not find a one. I spent four hours there rooting around. I meant to bring the camera so I could share because it really is an amazing VW boneyard. Next time. I did find this at a garage sale and thought it was pretty cool. A German Diplomatic License Plate.

FYI, this is not a diplomatic plate. Happens to be from the area around the cities of Ulm & Alb-Donau-Kreis in the state of Baden-Württemberg
Just sayin.

"The American Dream - true enough because you gotta be asleep to believe it"
Brionp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I thought the D with stars around it was special. Now I know it is just a plain old plate.
Dead 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brionp wrote:
Thanks, I thought the D with stars around it was special. Now I know it is just a plain old plate.

D stands for deutschland . aka Germany

"The American Dream - true enough because you gotta be asleep to believe it"
AoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent some time today trying to find if there was a kink in the accel cable since I am having issues with a high rev. I released the cable from the throttle and the pedal side and it slides freely through the chassis tube. I spent some time checking out the pedal assembly.

1. I do not have the pedal stop and thanks to the poster who gave the dimensions since I will recreate it. Easy enough. Will be sure the pedal tab is in place as well.

2. Is the any type of spring that runs up under the pedal. I was looking at some parts and this popped up.
http://www.busdepot.com/j13009
I do not have the long spring that runs under the pedal. I have this on my bug pedal but my bus does not have one.

3. As the cable travels back out of the carb and goes thru the shroud conduit is there some other type of casing or tube that the cable travels thru until it meets the chassis tube. My accel cable exits the shroud conduit passes thru a slice in the engine compartment seal and is exposed until it meets the chassis tube. Seems like this is not the right setup. If there is another flex tube, got a P/N or name.

Thanks,
Audrey
ncstagger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AoT wrote:

2. Is the any type of spring that runs up under the pedal. I was looking at some parts and this popped up.
http://www.busdepot.com/j13009
I do not have the long spring that runs under the pedal. I have this on my bug pedal but my bus does not have one.

You don't say what year bus you have but this is the type spring used through 72:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211721619

Although I must admit I'm having trouble keeping it from moving, there seems to be no mechanism to hold it in just the right position that I can tell.

Got one of the pedal stops made by Bus OK in today...fits perfectly, snaps into the holes snugly, seems sturdy.

Resto thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549162

"Take your most realistic time frame and dollar amount.. then add half of that amount. When you get that total... double it. Only then will you be in the ballpark." - sofaking
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Accelerator Pedal Stop 211 721 625 A Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6585875&highlight=#6585875]Accelerator Pedal Stop 211 721 625 A[/url]

busdaddy wrote:
Desertbusman wrote:
The stops were there to position the pedal in the comfortable driving position. Ergonomic/Human Engineering design. Go to the library and check out a Human Engineering Design manual. It would have foot pedal distances and angles for repeated use in sitting positions. That's common design practice used in manufacturing plants for operating machines or whatever. I don't know about anyone else but my foot would be dead after hours of driving with the pedal out flat. Where it's at is very comfortable.

And there's your answer, ankle geometry, especially if the driver is wearing high heeled shoes (seen those ads marketing the bus to women?), it's physically impossible to reach more than 50% throttle comfortably with your heel raised 3"-4" in the driving position of a bus. Don't believe me? try working the gas pedal with your heel on a piece of 2x4 (flip it both ways) on the floor behind the pedal (or put on your finest stillettos), the reason for the need to stop 3/4 of the way down becomes instantly apparent.

Your right Daddy, reduces ankle geometry in high heels. Had a hell of a time getting the wife's shoe on though. Laughing Ha Ha

Notice the two pins are different sizes. One is noticeably larger than the other. This locates the mounting position.
The plastic pins are thin. I imagine these are broken easily when aged.

I got the last one from a parts house in Germany and I only had to pay 999,000,000.00 + shipping.

Last edited by Tcash on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one in the 69', didn't even know it was there. (I only drove it to the coffee shop once since I bought it.)

72 Baja
AoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AoT wrote:

3. As the cable travels back out of the carb and goes thru the shroud conduit is there some other type of casing or tube that the cable travels thru until it meets the chassis tube. My accel cable exits the shroud conduit passes thru a slice in the engine compartment seal and is exposed until it meets the chassis tube. Seems like this is not the right setup. If there is another flex tube, got a P/N or name.

Thanks,
Audrey

Found another thread on the samba that gave some details on this very elusive part. Another stock part that vanished. Recommended using 3/8" PEX to extend from the chassis tube to the throttle conduit. Sounds like a plan.

Going to try to fabricate the pedal stop and bolt it in from underneath using the holes in the floor boards.

AoT
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an extra one out of the '69 Bus I'm parting out if anyone is looking for one. I can snap pics if you'd like....looks just like the one jakokombi just posted earlier.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys you can get these brand new. I have 1 NOS and 2 reproductions from bus-ok.. They look great.

Good measure to have a backup as these break. 10 years from now this little plastic part is gonna cost a million dollars.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: