Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odyssey PC 1500 does it fit in Aux Battery Box
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Odyssey PC 1500 does it fit in Aux Battery Box Reply with quote

I have been searching the forum and unable to find if anyone has installed an Odyssey PC 1500 under the drivers seat in the Auxiliary Battery box. I am in the process of installing an auxiliary battery in my 1984 Westy Wolfsburg and would like to fit the largest Amp Hr. battery in the battery box. By my measurements it will just fit but, maybe there is something I am not accounting for. I first considered an Odyssey PC 1200 which I know will fit but is 42 amp hr versus 68 amp hr. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about that particular battery, but an important measurement is between the top of the posts and the bottom of the battery. There are some you can cram in there, but if the positive post hits the battery box lid...

Also, never saw the posts off a battery to get it to fit. I tried that trick with an Optima, wrecked the battery.

I've had much better luck putting a small car battery in the aux. spot, then wiring two other ones in the compartment behind the fridge.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am concerned about hitting the lid. I was planning to install the battery on its side. It does not use posts but has studs for bolts which are a lower profile. The Dimensions L x W x H (in) 10.85x6.99x7.12. I measured my Aux battery box and it is 11 7/8 wide 7 deep 7 1/4 wide. The width of the battery box is actually 12 1/4 but there is a stud on the right side that supports the lid which reduced the clearance to 11 7/8. I was hoping someone has installed one of these to confirm if the studs would clear the lid.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what i did wrong my photo did not show up here. It is in my gallery. Oh well. Rolling Eyes
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here it is. Laughing
plysaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it fit? Let us know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as soon as I know if it fits I'm buying one for the same reason.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Odyssey 1700 under my driver seat without any problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1700series.htm

Hmm... 68 Amp Hour... $alty price tag though...

Got a pic of it installed? You know the rule... pictures or it isn't true.
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can save a lot of money at sears.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508148&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The 1750 fits with ever so slight of a modification to the battery lid. I have two of these now, one under each seat. The passenger side battery is upright like the stock one. I had to tweak the door to make it fit.
syncroid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrideWheelies wrote:
You can save a lot of money at sears.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508148&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The 1750 fits with ever so slight of a modification to the battery lid. I have two of these now, one under each seat. The passenger side battery is upright like the stock one. I had to tweak the door to make it fit.

Iride, can you describe the tweaking? Is that a modification to both driver's and passenger lids?
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't modify the drivers side because the battery is laying on its side and fits perfectly. I modified the passenger side with one firm smack from the round side of a ball peen hammer to make room for the positive post and clamp.

I have a syncro, if you have 2wd you might not have to make any mods at all. I've heard the syncro battery box has a little less room on the bottom outside corner to clear the tires under full suspension compression. I haven't verified if this is true, maybe someone else here can.

IMHO, the die hard P2 is the best choice for the factory battery box in a vanagon. The warranty is outstanding, it's powerful and robust and the price is great.
syncroid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the P2 requires a cut lid around the terminals and the sears group 65 (aka Odyssey 1750) does not, correct?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850065000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the P2, odysee pc-1750 and group 65 are all names for the same battery.

Search the archives, I think 2wd folks can fit it upright with minimal or no modification. It will fit on its side with no mods for sure.
sanfordphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Question Odyssey 1750 or 1700 or Sears group 65 battery????? Reply with quote

syncroid wrote:
But the P2 requires a cut lid around the terminals and the sears group 65 (aka Odyssey 1750) does not, correct?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850065000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

So, after owning my syncro camper for 14 years and going through about 5 yellow top Optima batteries I'm moving on to the Odyssey brand. Question is, should I go to the 1700 or 1750 for the cleanest easiest fit? Thoughts?

Btw., I spoke to the factory tech and she said the battery requires at min 14.1 /14.2v constantly from the alternator. I have a bostig conversion that I do indeed read 14.2 at the battery ports.

Lastly, is the less expensive sears battery really the same and does it fit???

Thanks,
Sanford
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a photo of the 1700 or 1750 mounted under the front seats?
Lapprentis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Odyssey measurements: the 1750 seem too high to get in without modidications to the lid. Is there anyone that succeded with the 1700 ? they are 13 inches long.....How could they fits in there ?
Keep us in touch guys.
Lapprentis
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have an update or even better of a photo with the 1700/1750 in a Westfalia with swivel seats?

As for the battery lid, I'm removing it and putting thick honker insulated boots for the connectors. A metal lid just doesn't sit well with me Smile That and I want fast and quick access to the terminals as a safety.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 1750 under each seat.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=602412&highlight=

Kicks fucking ass 73ah next best is Lifeline at 100ah.

You pay for what you get.

Sure Diehard platinum sears is available. But you "really" don't know if it's an Odyssey.

Odyssey if treated right will last a LONG LONG time.

Summers420us wrote:
whynotvw wrote:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1700series.htm

Hmm... 68 Amp Hour... $alty price tag though...

Got a pic of it installed? You know the rule... pictures or it isn't true.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rotaecho wrote:
I have the 1750 under each seat.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=602412&highlight=

Kicks fucking ass 73ah next best is Lifeline at 100ah.

You pay for what you get.

Sure Diehard platinum sears is available. But you "really" don't know if it's an Odyssey.

Odyssey if treated right will last a LONG LONG time.

Looking through this thread and the specs on www.odysseybattery.com , I am coming up with the following data for the Odyssey PC1700:

Capacity: 68Ah @ 20 hour rate

Price: $270.00 (cheapest price I could find online)

Warranty: 2 Year with the following verbiage:

"Overcharging, undercharging, charging or installing in reverse polarity, improper maintenance, allowing the Battery to be deeply discharged via a parasitic load or mishandling of the Battery such as but not limited to using the terminals for lifting or carrying the Battery. Trickle chargers that do not have a regulated trickle charge voltage between 13.5V and 13.8V (no lower than 13.5V and no higher than 13.8V) will cause early failure of the Battery. Use of such chargers with the Battery will also void the Battery’s warranty.For applications where an alternator is present, the alternator must deliver between 14.0V and 14.7V when measured at the Battery’s terminals. Consult the ODYSSEY battery technical manual or owner’s manual for any necessary temperature compensation. Alternators that do not have a regulated charge between 14.0V and 14.7V (no lower than 14.0V and no higher than
14.7V) will cause early failure of the Battery. Use of such alternators with the Battery will also void the Battery’s warranty".

Requires installation of an adjustable voltage regulator to meet battery manufacturer warranty specs in an otherwise stock Vanagon.

Does not fit in the factory battery box without modification (confirmed via dimensions on battery manufacturer website).

With all of these factors in mind, this seems like one of the most expensive, least desirable options available for Vanagon auxiliary power in my opinion.

This is not meant to be critical of anyone's choice to install this (or any other) battery, only an observation of the typical cost vs. benefit analysis that many people would apply when choosing an auxiliary power source.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: