Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia upper cot
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Westfalia upper cot Reply with quote

Well I scored a Upper cot for a steal but it is the wrong year on the bracket poles. I figured I would take it to a welding place and have them move the front brackets on poles to match my hardware. I guess I can sell the other brackets and make someone else happy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Got it done! Reply with quote

Well I finished my cot for my westfalia. Jo-Ann's Fabric has Duck Canvas in various colors and I chose the fabric that matches the Gold Burlap upholstery that came with my camper. I used a polyester wrapped thread and used 16/100 needle with my Wife's sewing machine. The needle made the stitching much easier and felt that each seam was well secured. I used the techniques from a youtube video that demonstrates how to stitch canvas fabric. I will post it in my edit but it came out okay. The final test, was lay up there and low and behold...Solid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BvIr1mNYiE

Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, looks great!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to cut the brackets in the middle and reweld them further down. The Duck Canvas was half price so I bought 3 yards and I will use the rest for the forward child cot.
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to make my own upper cot too. Does anyone happen to have the dimensions of the fabric?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
Millennium Falcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. I sleep in my upper cot all the time when camping solo, or for some extra storage if I do not mind losing some head room.

Seems like your cot is positioned closer to the drivers side of the bus rather than the passenger side. That would be great if using the cot for some extra storage, but does that position make it more difficult to climb up there?

1972 White Campmobile
1700 cc Type IV
Dual Solex 34 PDSIT2/3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: