Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SEALING THE PAN TO BODY
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: SEALING THE PAN TO BODY Reply with quote

I HAVE LOOKED ALL OVER 'THE SAMBA' WEBSITE FOR AN ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION BUT TO NO AVAIL.

" THE OLD PAN SEAL HAS TACKS HOLDING SOWN THE OLD SEAL. DO I REMOVE THEM B4 I PLACE THE NEW SEAL ON THE PAN? DO I FILL IN THE HOLES? DO I TRY TO REUSE THEM? DO I PUT A SEALER UNDER THE PAN SEAL IN ORDER TO HOLD IT DOWN? AND ON AND ON AND ON.......

HELLLLLLLLLLP!

I WANT TO GET THE BODY ON REAL SOON. I BOUGHT THE PAN AND THE BODY SEPARATELY AND NEVER HAD A BODY OFF ANY OF MY PRIOR CARS.

ROGER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
browntown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: pan to body Reply with quote

I am not an expert but I did find this web site. Try this link, it has lot of interesting stuff.

www.midsouthvw.com/TechTips/TechMain.html

Hope it helps you,
Sean
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I replaced the body/pan seal during the pan-off process, I removed all the nails (carpet nails). Then laid down the new seal. After which I used the existing holes to tack the new seal into place.
Mr. Bungle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
When I replaced the body/pan seal during the pan-off process, I removed all the nails (carpet nails). Then laid down the new seal. After which I used the existing holes to tack the new seal into place.

exactly.

re-use the old tacks or buy new ones and use the old holes. for a little extra you could use some sort of glue/compound to hold it in place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Orange65Turbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pull the nails out and use rivets in the existing holes (might have to drill just a bit depending on the rivet size.) Much easier to work with and it might just save your fingers from the hammer.

You might break some of the rusty ol nails pulling them. If so, just tap them out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: pan off resto Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help with the project.

Still one question. What configuration on the pan seal on the corners? Cut square or 45 them?
This should be my final question.

Thanks, Roger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Orange65Turbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overlap it and let the body crush it down. That way you'll be sure to have a great seal.
PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: pan off resto Reply with quote

ROGER LAWLESS wrote:
.....What configuration on the pan seal on the corners? Cut square or 45 them?

Don't overlap the rubber seals (only do this with the foam seal). The two pieces that run across the front and rear cross panels have priority. By this I mean they should run the full length to the outer edge. The pices that run along the floor pan sided should fit snug between. Use a mastic type sealer at these corner joints to make sure all is well. Of course the easiest thing to do is use the foam seal which requires no sealer, nail or extra padding.
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: pan seal Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help. I think I have it now. Very Happy

Roger
Orange65Turbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say overlapping is fine. The amount of crush force on the overlaps will not allow any moister through. The other way is fine, it just takes one more step with a sealer. And it must cure before you put the body on.
good luck.
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: overlap or not to overlap, that is the question Reply with quote

Thanks,

Roger Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: