Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Craigslist
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70'sGrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Craigslist Reply with quote

So I am new to the site. My name is Cheryl live in Wylie Texas. I am 24 and I have always wanted a bug.

So me and my boyfriend have spent a good amount of time searching for a bug. Been searching on craigslist, ebay, anywhere you can think of. Was on craigslist two days ago and we saw this one in wylie. So I emailed the guy saying that we were VERY interested in looking at it that night and we had cash in hand for it tonight. well he never wrote back. So we noticed that in the pictures that he lived in a trailer park in wylie, well there is only four in wylie. So me and my boyfriend as determined as we were to find this car, we got in ours and searched every trailer park around here... we were not gonna miss this deal. Well searched for 2 1/2 hours and no sign yet the last one that we went to well THERE IT WAS!!! i almost started crying i was sooo freaking happy... My boyfriend walks up to the door and asked if the bug was for sale and the dude being very nice well it sure is... and we ended up telling him the whole story of how we have been searching for it... lol... he told us eveything that has been done to it, and what needs to be fixed on it... but we picked the bug up last night, and we start working on it tonight, i am so freaking happy.

Thank goodness we did do what we did, because yesterday early afternoon the guy wrote us back finally(after we told him that we wanted it and talked to him in person) saying that he had about 150 hits on it and his email inbox was full.

Just wanted to share my little story with finding our bug. I would post up pictures, but dont have any yet, but i will as soon as i can get some, cause i am a picture fanatic
67_SO42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool deal. I like to sniff around in peoples yards when i spot a bug or bus. Sometimes you score stuff for free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story, but one question..

Where do all these volkswagen loving women keep coming from?

There are evidently none in tennessee or virginia.

Your boyfriend is damn lucky, don't let him forget that.
Ma'ili Pt Westy
Samba Member

Location: Woodside, California (located in Northern California)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky with my craigslist score. I've been looking for a 86 - 91 Westfalia, white with grey interior for many months. I was home on a Friday morning and went on craigslist and found a short and simple ad in craigslist "87 volkswagen camper". I emailed the seller and within 10 minutes the seller emailed me back with his phone number. I called the seller and asked him if I could look at the camper today. The camper was located 15 minutes from my home. I was so exited that I forgot to ask him the color of the Westy. When I got there, the seller had the garage door open and there sat a white with grey interior westy in excellent condition with 96K miles (original northern california bay area vehicle). I did my inspection and we made the transaction. When I was there, he recieved several more calls from people that he replied to, he told them that the camper was sold.

Thanks to my wife for taking her time and getting ready, I was able to get on the computer and do a quick craigslist search. If I did my search after I got home, the Westy would have been sold to the first person who seen the Westy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an Empi Eliminator shifter on Craigslist for $50. I called the number and spoke to the wife, the husband was out picking up supper for the Family. I must have called them 5 times that night. Finally got ahold of the man that had the shifter and went out to his place at 9pm to go get it. What a deal. Never know what you will find on Craigslist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastinradford wrote:

There aren't any in Ontario, Canada either Sad
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CUBA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up a sweet 54 Sedan with original paint from this guy driving cross county from California to Miami. He posted a Criaglist add while he was in Texas, the add read, New found Love forced sale... and then he went on about something about a trucker he met? Anyway, I scored a Iceland Green with all original paint, upholstary, and a smooth running 40 horse... Cool
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a friend who had craigslist as his desktop, I entered 21 on the search box and sure enough 21 window Deluxe for sale $7500. I ended up getting it for $6500.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
VolksytheBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Had a friend who had craigslist as his desktop, I entered 21 on the search box and sure enough 21 window Deluxe for sale $7500. I ended up getting it for $6500.

I do love Craigslist. It is, after all, how I found my '70. However, I do not love the mid-90s layout and font! Laughing

../___\
(0\_!_/0)
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bigfoot of Borg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Texan here. I just got my Super off craigslist the other day; now I just have to fix the thing. New pans and wiring will be needed but the body over all was good and the engine runs, so I'm happy. Very Happy

Sounds like you got a deal. Craigslist really is the place to look for anything hard to find.
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an ad for a '64 beetle on Craigslist right before I had to go to Vegas with my wife. After the weekend, I checked on it again and it was still there. I emailed and the guy called me back. It was one of the guys I knew from the parts house that I have visited for years. He said the car was "First one with the money gets it." and someone else had expressed interest. I rushed over and gave him the $500 without even seeing the car. He said it had been handed down through several owners. I finally went to pick it up. PO's had done most all of the body work with little mechanical being worked on. That was where I usually start. No glass or fenders, but they were in a different garage. Through the years and various owners it had been disassembled and smaller parts were lost, but over all it's in great shape. (Thank goodness for The Samba Classifieds). It's even primer ready. I'm finishing up the body work and hope to shoot the paint on very soon. The engine checked out and needs new wiring, but I'm cool with that.

My wife has nicknamed it Serendipity.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandi wrote:
fastinradford wrote:

the ones in seattle are ALWAYS taken Sad

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
k.t.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
bandi wrote:
fastinradford wrote:

the ones in seattle are ALWAYS taken Sad

Not really
zombiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL is great. Im on it all the time looking for just about anything just to see whats out there.

Also none in Mass.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked this up off of Craigslist for $2000 from a military dentist going overseas. When i saw the ad I called him and told him to consider it sold. He pushed back because I hadn't looked at it and he had other interested parties. I asked if he had lied in his ad, and he said of course not. I said if your description is accurate, I don't need to see it first. He agreed. I gave him the money, drove it home, cleaned it up a bit, and have been driving it ever since. It's been nearly 7 years ago, and it's only stranded me once when the block on the points broke. Not bad for the price.

Now:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As purchased:

Last edited by zozo on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
pdlstl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another north Texas craigslist buy.

About 3-4 weeks ago found a '78 bay on Craigslist in Burleson TX. Went to look at it and bought it. It's licensed, inspected, insured and sitting in my driveway!
uncapj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some up in the high desert in california my girlfriend went to marinello and 4 girls drove bugs to school so when I would pick here up in loki my 74 std they would look and talk to me my girlfriend didn't like that too much lol but she loves my car

they say money doesn't buy happiness but it buys car parts and those make me happy

Cars are like the perfect girl always ready and never say no

Current 74 Std Beetle (class 11ish)
Past 67 Baja
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crazyduckhunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my 70 std for 600 bucks in hesperia. Drove it down through the pass with a shotty clutch and brakes with in unknown condition. No dash lights and only high beams working. 10pm at night was a little sketchy.
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best craigslist find was when I had a '90 BMW 318i for sale (which I got for $200) and got an email asking if I'd trade for a running/driving '73 Super. I made the deal, sight unseen, and the guy with the Beetle turned out to be an old friend from high school. I drove that '73 for a few years (she was pretty beat up) but I think it's going back to the friend soon.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
encsdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been looking for a VW Camper for a while. Had my cash ready, but no luck so far. l spotted a Craig's list ad for a yellow 77 Westy with only 1 grainy picture of the front, but something about the way the bus looked at me called out to me.

I called and called the phone number, but only a machine kept answering. Kept calling twice a day for over 2 weeks. Finally started leaving messages asking if the bus was still available and asking for a call back to let me know if it had been sold.

On a Sunday afternoon i get a call from a lady who says that she is the owner of the bus and that it is still available. Tells me that minutes after she put up the ad, she got a phone call and had to go to Chicago on a family emergency. She tells me that she had lots of people calling about the bus, but that she had called me first because I had called so many times and that told her I really wanted it bad.

I grabbed my two girls and jumped on the freeway heading for Long Beach (about 50 miles away). She had the bus parked in a store parking lot around the corner from her house. We fell in love with her first time we saw her. Girls told me that it felt right. Bus was rust free, but did have a tired engine. Had original curtains, front curtain, stool, and lots of extras tossed in. Had another interest party pull up as I was inspecting her, but my girls chased them ( a couple) away. Went to her house to finalize the deal. The seller started crying when she signed over the title. She loved the bus, but really needed the money. Said that she was glad that it was going to someone who would appreciate her. Drove the bus home that evening. Had to go back later with Grandma Jenny to get my car.

It was right and we were meant for each other. Have traveled a lot of miles and made many memories traveling with my girls in our bus. Was even used as a background decoration for pictures at one of my girls Jr. High dances.

Always an adventure driving an older vehicle, but even some of the breakdowns turned out fond memory. (The perfect excuse to camp on the beach).

My girls are just about driving age now, so I keep checking Craig's list for their first car, since they both want a VW. The hunt continues.

69 Sqauareback - RIP (Rear ended by a Volvo)
72 Bug - RIP (Rusted away!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: