Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Day out with the 59RT
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: First Day out with the 59RT Reply with quote

After almost 2 years of work I finished the 59 Euro Ragtop. Running great and the morning could not be better for a drive. Me and the wife set out the the best place in town for breakfast Hardies, (Im a cheep date). By the time I got done telling what year it was and asking if it was for sale my breakfast was cold. Ok got that done and decided to go to one of only two gas stations that have ethanol free gas and fill her up. It took 30 minutes to get away. But of course I love talking VW stuff. Everyone has a story and you must listen to them all. I ended up showing the car at the gas pumps to 5 or 6 different people including one who wanted my picture next to it. One man asked it I would take 40k for it. I said No (what was I thinking) she is my heart project. The fun and fame is way more valuable than $$. I'm in love all over again.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Only 3 things matter in life, Those you Love, Those whom Love you and Your final Destination! Enjoy Them.
Seriously - If there is something you don't like about my car keep it to yourself.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to be finished in 2 years build time! Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my wife is more proud of it than me. She is very glad I'm done, my honeydew list has gotten large. Confused
Only 3 things matter in life, Those you Love, Those whom Love you and Your final Destination! Enjoy Them.
Seriously - If there is something you don't like about my car keep it to yourself.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, $40K offered right away would be hard to pass up...especially because you haven't even had time to enjoy it! But I completely understand about it being a "heart project". Hope your ticker's doing better seeing how great it turned out. Enjoy the heck out of it - well deserved!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was parking my daily driver '62 Ghia at work yesterday (no where NEAR as nice as your bug) and a couple from Arizona who were attending a wedding (I work at a resort hotel) got out of their late model Honda and the man says "love your VW" and then asks if I would trade him straight up for the Honda. I hem'd and haw'd finally saying "anything can be negotiated", to which his wife promptly says "not always". I didn't really want a Honda anyway Smile
But yes, I've gotten quite used to (and usually enjoy) being "detained" while pumping gas or anytime I get in or out of my Ghia - everyone has some story to relate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: