Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throwout bearing retainer clips
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
l2jarvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Throwout bearing retainer clips Reply with quote

I've got to install a new clutch in my Beetle today.

I remember the last time that I installed a clutch in a pre-70 Beetle, installing the new style throwout bearing retaining clips was a bifurcated, four-door, deluxe, brass-plated pain in the *&$@! After a loooong session of cussing, knuckle busting and retrieving the clips from wherever they flew off to, I gave up and used the original style clips.

Is there a secret to installing those damnable things? A special tool? What? Or should I just use the old style clips and be done with it?

Lee in Lakeland, FL
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vise-grip pliers
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One side is easy. The other side....like cusser says, use vice grips or large needle-nose. Grab the spring by the 'loop'. Insert the straight end into the hole on the bearing with the curved end down. Rotate the spring by turning the 'loop' with the pliers so the curved end goes over the end of the fork, continue until the curved end of the spring 'clicks' into the notch on the fork. (Plier handle pointing up to start, rotate the handle down till it goes into the notch)
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
l2jarvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say, "Rotate the spring by turning the 'loop' with the pliers so the curved end goes over the end of the fork, continue until the curved end of the spring 'clicks' into the notch on the fork."

But I don't have a notch in the fork, I have a hole drilled through the fork, and I'm trying to get the straight end of the spring into the "ear" of the t/o bearing and work the other (hooked) end of the spring into the the hole on the fork.

If that's not clear, I can post a photo later.
larryulm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: throw out clip install Reply with quote

I have exactly the same issue. I have the same type of arm on a 66 bus.
The shop that installed the t/o bearing evidently gave up also ! They had one side correct and simply pried the clip up over the hole and left it.
I am open to the possibility of opening up the holes and making a notch at least on one side, but I still would like to know how the clips were ever originally installed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's no "original" way to install it...you're dealing with an aftermarket clip and an aftermarket cross shaft....you may have to file the hole larger(towards the front of the car)to cram the curved end of the clip thru....or just get a good stock shaft...as long as you're not using a ridiculous pressure plate you'll be fine
larryulm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I knew it was a rebuilt tranny, but I still don't understand the intent of the aftermarket holes. It seems they would be hard to use even with the stock type clips.
In any event, thank you!
Larry
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you see you have to make a "heavy duty" aftermarket shaft really thick to make up for the inferior strength steel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: