Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone in here from Australia?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: LHD EARLY BEETLES IN OZ Reply with quote

30RAT wrote:
hi guys reading the forum and all the links live in sunny queensland ... gold coast first starting bringing into australia....only a few years ago some split busses and single cabs from US.. the vw people here at first said we wont want it ..as its LHD ...my how things have changed here now in OZ ...seems everyone now wants to bring in a [ real ] german vw and not rusted out aussie crap outa the bush here have shipped in many early split busses... single cabs and shipped in an OG german 63 ragtop and now now just unloaded an early 55 3 fold oval ragtop .....so LHD alive and well here downunder

Go on to DSK and they tell a different story. The only flag waving for LHD buses is by LHD bus owners.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
martinigreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought buses rusted out in other parts of the world too?

Maybe it's just here Rolling Eyes
winerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in2vw the flag waving is only by lhd importer, good for business.
martingreenbus they rust quicker around Burleigh heads.
Dasdubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's a good way to justify a higher asking price of personally imported LHD buses by bagging local RHD buses as if they are all rusty pieces of crap dragged out of the bush.

I suppose if one preaches loud enough and long enough about how hard it is to find a decent RHD bus here in Oz, some people will inevitably start to believe it (unfortunately mostly the newer members of the scene who do not know any different)....and therefore more profit can be made, as ultimately thats what its all about.....$$$

I'm all for more air-cooled VWs on the road here in Australia, whether they are LHD or RHD so its not the fact they are imported that irks me - its the way the sale of those imported vehicles is justified that gives some of us the shits Wink
DakDak67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: LHD EARLY BEETLES IN OZ Reply with quote

30RAT wrote:
hi guys reading the forum and all the links live in sunny queensland ... gold coast first starting bringing into australia....only a few years ago some split busses and single cabs from US.. the vw people here at first said we wont want it ..as its LHD ...my how things have changed here now in OZ ...seems everyone now wants to bring in a [ real ] german vw and not rusted out aussie crap outa the bush here have shipped in many early split busses... single cabs and shipped in an OG german 63 ragtop and now now just unloaded an early 55 3 fold oval ragtop .....so LHD alive and well here downunder
are you for real ?
flipflop67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a leftie owner here in the RHD part of the world. A few years ago I would have sold my van to get an early RHD, but now I wouldn't dream of it, for no other reason than I've had for so long and I own other RHD buses. I don't think LHD or RHD is better, maybe that's because like Al pointed out, I'm not an importer trying to make good on my outlay and secure a tidy profit.
As for them being all rusted out over here, there's good and bad like everywhere else, my 13 is good, my dormobile not so, my 69 is almost amazing. I like the fact that my 13 is an Aussie bus and it has the VW Australia van designation and number stamped on the lhs of the engine bay, makes it unique, something lefties don't have, a truly aussie identity.
Shaven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont agree with tht at all! Confused
bring in a LHD Bus, Split etc into Oz & then try selling it... 85% of any that are brought in are STILL for sale.
it would want to be rare for it to sell... there are about half dozen LHD buses that people have shipped over here trying to make a quick buck... it wont HAPPEN!!! Shocked
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone wanting to get rid of their rusty RHD Aussie POS Splitty let me know. I'll come and pick em up for nothing. Won't even charge you trailer rental. Smile

P.S. Anyone here on samba.com intending on selling LHD buses to Aussies find a buyer & sell it before you put it on the boat. As shaven said, plenty of them sit on eBay or the classifieds for months & they're worth less because worldwide there's lots more of them and the cargo doors open into the traffic.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shaven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ there shit hahaha Razz
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not being mean.
It's just that the US market was the biggest outside Germany so there are tons of solid LHD cars.
RHD was limited to countries like Oz & the UK.
Almost everything ever sent to the UK pretty much rotted into the ground so they've been trying to nab RHD buses from here for years.
The local scene has tried to shut that down but the higher prices remain.
There's nothing wrong with LHD vehicles, they're just not as safe on our roads.
I know, seems a pointless concern when the crumple zone is your legs but more desirable nonetheless.
Plus, Aussie buses are, well, Aussie.
Such a thing as patriotism.[/img]

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MISS VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, even if I wanted a LHD splitty, I definitely wouldn't be buying one off 30Rat!

The pure arrogance of what he writes is a major turn off. What a way to influence the Aussie market you are trying to sell to.
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth is, if you were going to buy a LHD bus you'd source an interesting model, fly to the US to check it out, buy it and sort out the necessary paperwork while having a short holiday where you could experience some of the US scene driving your own LHD Split. Makes sense to have a bit of fun in your LHD before sending it Down Under. At least, that's what I'd do.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
DakDak67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:
Truth is, if you were going to buy a LHD bus you'd source an interesting model, fly to the US to check it out, buy it and sort out the necessary paperwork while having a short holiday where you could experience some of the US scene driving your own LHD Split. Makes sense to have a bit of fun in your LHD before sending it Down Under. At least, that's what I'd do.
like a 13 window walk through full of go fast parts.....
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DakDak67 wrote:
Andy P wrote:
like a 13 window walk through full of go fast parts.....

Absolutely!! Very Happy
Your 13 is sweet. Cool

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
splitbus Australia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: LHD EARLY BEETLES IN OZ Reply with quote

30RAT wrote:

What's this then Dickhead
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Volkswagen-Kombi-1967-Van-4-SP-Manual-1-5L-Carb-/151045678884
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that what they mean when they say someone has been owned? Wink

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
Dasdubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes people over here forget that whilst the population of Australia (around 22 million) is reasonably large [despite being less than that of California (around 38 million)]....the VW scene in Australia is much, much smaller. Word travels fast.
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dasdubber wrote:
Sometimes people over here forget that whilst the population of Australia (around 22 million) is reasonably large [despite being less than that of California (around 38 million)]....the VW scene in Australia is much, much smaller. Word travels fast.

Yep.
Takes no time at all for someone's name to become mud.
That said, with an apology and a positive gesture they're a pretty forgiving bunch.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
PFN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Australians are here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All information on Volkswagen (Australasisa) is welcome. Western Australian information is gold.

(gone now)
1964 RHD Conversion Karmann Ghia
1956 RHD Beetle
1972 Kombi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: