Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine gasket layout
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55ovals
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Glenn...
1995 cbr f3
2005 2500 silverado
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,
now you need a list showing what each gasket is used for!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55ovals
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: hope this ok Reply with quote

gasket set that includes the flywheel seal, but the commonly-available 111 198 007AF set does not. It does include a couple of gaskets (#18 & 21 above) which are used on Type III engines. If you have a "universal" replacement case you may need #18 for the blockoff plate at the rear of the sump. The two thick cooler seals at #4 are only for use on pre`70 Type III oil coolers.
#1 Four rocker stud seals (do not use on heads which only have a chamfer around the base of the stud)
#2 Six case stud O-rings (do not use on cases which are not machined to accept them, mostly `66/`67)
#3 Four rocker stud seals for early 1200-style heads
#4 (Upper pair) Two 021 117 151A cooler seals, for use on large-passage cases with "doghouse" DP cooler or `70-style 111 117 021E large-passage SP cooler. Two more needed if you wish to renew the ones between the DP adapter and the cooler. Also used on `70-`73 Type III cases/coolers.
#5 Sixteen pushrod tube seals
#6 Distributor O-ring
#7 Six 10mm copper-plated washers for oil strainer plate
#8 Flywheel-to-crank gasket (steel, approx .012" thick) for pre-mid`66 non-O-ring flywheel/crank
#9 Two intake manifold preheat gaskets. Some sets will also include one with a restrictor hole.
#10 Four exhaust flange gaskets
#11 Flywheel O-ring
#12 (Left) Oil strainer plate drainplug gasket
#12 (Right) Oil pressure plunger plug gasket - two needed for dual-relief cases.
#13 Two singleport intake manifold gaskets, fit 1300 and 15/1600 SP heads. Also can be used between oil filler and pedestal (gasket set does not include a replacement paper gasket for this location)
#14 Baffle plate, goes between pedestal and case with louvers down. May be used alone or sandwiched between #26. Not used on early cases with a small round hole in the case flange
#15 Two dualport intake manifold gaskets
#16 Paper gaskets to be used under washers at 8mm case nuts straddling #4 main and #1 cam bearing, and/or oil pump.
#17 Carb flange gasket. Singleport & dualport are different sizes, set may have one, both, or none
#18 Gasket for Type III oil filler pipe flange (or blockoff plate) to case
#19, 20 Fuel pump gaskets
#21 Gasket used between aluminum fan/pulley and steel fan on Type III
#22 Paper version of #8 (approx .008" thick)
#24 Oil pump cover gaskets (6mm and 8mm) thin
#25 Oil pump-to-case gaskets (6mm and 8mm) thick- do not use at cover
#26 Two pedestal gaskets
#27 Four paper gaskets (approx .008" thick) for use between cylinder bases and case on 13/15/1600 (and late Euro 1200)
- few builders choose to use these, most apply a thin coat of RTV to the cylinder base instead.
#28 Two valve cover gaskets. Fit 1200 40HP through 1600 based engines except for early 40HP "bastard engine". Some sets have VC gaskets that are wider at the top which will work on those heads, but they will not work on `71-up valvecovers (they have a "bump" at the top to keep the gasket from sucking down) without trimming.
#29 Two oil sump gaskets
#23 ? Look to be same size as exhaust flange gaskets but appear to be paper, not sure what they're supposed to be for

1995 cbr f3
2005 2500 silverado
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#27 should not be used, all they do is leak.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is there 2 different#12 and only 1#12 in the kit when 2 are used for duel relief. and who uses all these gaskets?I use about 1/4 of them. and who makes the best kit to get?
twigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't use the #27 gaskets, What do you use? Gasket sealant like permatex?
Redlocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Bastard valve cover gaskets, any pictures? Reply with quote

So if I'm understanding correctly, pictured item #28 earlier in this topic (the V/C gaskets) sometimes are wider at the top for the "bastard engine heads".

Does anyone have a picture of this "bastard type" V/C gasket?

Also, does anyone know if they are even still available? And, if they are still available, where to buy them?

Thanks for the help.

71 Super Beetle (stolen)
71 Squareback (rusted, junked)
71 Squareback (factory-dealer A/C, sold)
68 Bus, sold
68 Beetle (baja'd, sold)
78 "Golf" (total burn)
81 Scirocco S (sold, bought back, sold again)
81 Scirocco S (sold)
86 Scirocco (sold)
83 GTI (DSP auto-crossed, sold)
84 GTI (sold)
2000 New Beetle
'60 Microbus Std. / Mango (project in progress)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howzabout we move the key to the same post as the labeled picture and get a similar pairing for TIV engines? If someone needs help with the labeling on the photo, I have the digital editing software and skills required (not that much is needed, but I'm offering just in case someone feels they don't).

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
Fab4Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this post as I was trying to figure out what each thing was too.
made this from 55ovals info.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so why louvers down on 14?
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
so why louvers down on 14?
Looks like if you install it as it is in the picture then any oil that was flung at it from below would go right through the louvers and up into the pedestal. Install it louvers down and the oil would tend to hit them and drop back down into the case. JMO Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wanted to see if somebody knew the right answer. although I have instaleed them 2 at a time one up&one down to raise the stand a bit for these aluminum pullys that seem to be almost out of adjustment with a new belt. thinking about making a thicker spacer so the shrouds can go right on the bubble top cases with out triming.
also some cases you can put the baffell on 2 or 3 diferent orientations. the flat side of the cutouts should be toward the 1/2 side.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I figured you had to know the answer. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some gasket sets, number 8 is actually a .005" end play increasing shim, only to be used if the engine is so fresh that the minimum amount of end play is unattainable. It is the same outer shape as #22.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
box12360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

Is the Gasket Kit Pictured Similar for a type 4 motor?
marc330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

I need to make a note for anyone whos rebuilding a fuel injected engine not to use #15 intake manifold gasket.. you need a riser gasket ( about 3/8" thick) for the manifold boots to seat correctly ! took me three weeks to figure out why I had such a big vacuum leak.
tcochr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

Only 2 years since I started my "refresh/rebuild" and this thread has answered all my questions about the gasket kit. Thank you gents... thank you. Smile
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

I purchased a gasket kit for 1300-1600cc engines.
According to the diagram on WW's website, their should be a gasket that goes between the oil filler and the generator/alternator stand. It would slide over the oil filler nut but sandwich in between the oil filler housing, and the stand. Which gasket is this in the kit?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
I purchased a gasket kit for 1300-1600cc engines.
According to the diagram on WW's website, their should be a gasket that goes between the oil filler and the generator/alternator stand. It would slide over the oil filler nut but sandwich in between the oil filler housing, and the stand. Which gasket is this in the kit?

I don't see it above but it looks like it's this gasket on their site
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113115475
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: