Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Window Rust
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Mercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Rear Window Rust Reply with quote

I am currently trying to replace all the window seals in my baywindow. I took the sliding door cover off, under the rear side window, and was wondering how to repair the rust there. Can I pull the windows out myself? I mean, should I cut the seals out with a utility knife then push the windows out from the inside? I think I can wire brush/ sand the rust and por 15 the rust areas then fit new rubber. Just wanted to ask what you guys have done here. Thanks.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the metal is sound,you can sand and POR it.. as far as installing the windows, new rubber is a must. you can cut the old ones out with a razor knife but you'll need help putting the new ones back in.
the string method is the way to go,plenty of soapy water or silicone spray
helps ease the rubber inplace as toyr friend pushes lightly as you pull the string out.
if you have never done this before you might want to read how to or get someone who has.
you might even ask a glass place to do it for a few bucks.
take your time

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The POR15 folks have a 2 part epoxy putty that can be used to fix small rust holes, like those around windows. Remember to avoid filling small drain holes that are in the rear window channel (Ghias have these).

Anyway, if there's a small amount of rot around the window channel, mix equal parts of the epoxy bars and then mold into place. When it has cured, sand, primer, and paint!

http://www.por15.com
Bill-E-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
The POR15 folks have a 2 part epoxy putty that can be used to fix small rust holes, like those around windows.

Thats the best news I've heard all day. Smile I had been wonderin' about that on my windows. I've got like 2 tiny holes on half of my side pop-outs. Sounds like I'll be able to just pull the windows out, wire brush & sand the metal, put that junk on, sand & paint it, put new seals around my pop-outs & be good to go. You just made my day. Dancing I've also got 1 pinhole on my drivers floor...I bet it'd work for that too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POR has a flyer they will send you if you ask them,.it shows all there products including the 2 part putty and there uses.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: