Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carburetor Kit, Redline, DP Type 1, K1410
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
canosgmk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Carburetor Kit, Redline, DP Type 1, K1410 Reply with quote

Hello,

(scroll down for the reason of the post. keep reading for the full story of why I am asking)

Working on a spreadsheet build for my..... our project. (I have the wants and my wife has my checkbook. lol)

Going through the aircooled.net notes in things to upgrade on the car/engine prior to the idea of opening the engine to larger pistons and 'stuff'. Honestly, if I had the 10k+, I would get a type 4 with a 93mm and be done with it. however, i can't really drop a $15k turnkey engine in a car not even worth $5k. Wink

Anyways, I have a 30/31h in the car and a 009 dizzy. Headache headache headache... Just can't get the thing tuned. Either the idle is too high or it is choking on it's self (smells like unburnt gas). Tried every kind of tuning options I can for those two from the web (3.5 turns for each on a warm engine and turn out the idle screw to 900 RPM and then the mixture screw until the RPM dips. The later never happen really. It just ends up dying with 1/2 turn left. the car also runs great for 1min and then stutters for no reasons {almost dying} and then runs fine again for a 1min. Cycles like that all the time)

So, I am thinking about the following: (A list is now, B list is later)
A
quick shift kit
Economy lightened flywheel (supporting tools and parts)
Pro grip clutch disc 200mm
SCAT Santana Pulleys (6 3/4" hard anodized)
Gas hose line (I have two fuel filters ON the engine...)
*** "Pertronix" SVDA Dizzy 12V
*** Deluxe Center Mount Progressive (DFAV/DFEV) Carb Kit, Redline, DP Type 1, K1410.

B
Front Disc Brake kit
Urethane control army bushing kit
Gas shock absorber
Stainless steel brake hose kit
Bulletproof throttle cable
Tri MII 'hotdog' muffler (not running heat in the car and will not be running the car in cold weather)
Bugpack forged 1.4:1 or CB Performance 1.4:1 forged rocker arm set.

:::::::Okay, the point of this post::::::

Anyone tried the combination of the Pertronix D186504 (aircooled.net) Dizzy with the redline K1410 carb on a stock'ish DP 1600cc engine??

Any issues, tuning issues? what is the largest jet and ventri (sp) did you use? what HP increase would I be looking at? worth the 'cheap' cost? The ad said they will jet it for me (the buyer) for FREE... Sounds fishy because all other setups i have seen online do not have that option.

I don't care about MPG on this car. If I get the funds later, I will make sure I can go through a set of tires a week at a 10 MPG rate. Smile

Geoff[/b][/i]

Last edited by canosgmk on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
canosgmk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Carb Kit Copy Paste from site Reply with quote

Quote:
(1) Genuine Spanish Weber Carburetor (1) Aluminum DELUXE Intake Manifold with FULL Preheat (1) Linkage Adapter Kit (1) K&N Style Filter Assembly (1) Instructions for installation (1) Unmatched ACN After Sale Support (not available elsewhere)
This kit features a fantastic linkage with steel ball end, heim rod ends, and an isolated runner intake manifold, chrome air filter with gauze washable elements, and fuel hose.

Quote:
So choosing the Carburetor Setup Service is completely optional and up to you, but STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. It's actually a bit of a pain, and time consuming to do properly, which is why ACN is the only company that offers this service on Weber purchases! The Carburetor Setup Service includes fixing known and unknown problems and Weber assembly errors, clean, set floats, trim gaskets, etc. Then we reassemble with the correct jets and emulsion tubes for your engine and elevation! Finish it off with a final bench adjustment so that your setup time and headaches are minimized! Carburetor Setup Service INCLUDES JET CHANGES (Free jets!), the expense of the proper jets can exceed what we charge for the setup, so it's a great deal for you!
poorboyrc77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carb setup is not free. If the carb is not jetted correctly after installation John will send you a different size for free. Aircooled.net offers this because if you give them the correct speks of your engine they will make sure the carb is right. Well worth the money.
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor Kit, Redline, DP Type 1, K1410 Reply with quote

canosgmk wrote:
Economy lightened flywheel (supporting tools and parts)

If this is cast iron please pass on it.
They are a terrible option for any car.
Your stock one is forged from the factory.
Have it lightened.
canosgmk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

yes, it isn't free. Only like $50.00. Practically free in comparison to the $800.00 dual carb kits I was looking at.

Anyways, anyone had or hear of the performance, turning and reliability of that carb and dizzy???

debating if the this will be good enough. I will have to cut the fiberglass body to make dual carbs fit, so i want to get the best bang for my buck.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual IDFs with shorty/Type III manifolds still wont fit?

Singles can be a real pain to tune and rarely get good mpg.
canosgmk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, No.

The builder (seems like a home build) took every short cut known to man kind to include installing the body too far forward (bring the back of the MGTD closer to the engine) and the hole cut in the body for the engine cover is too small/narrow to fit the carbs on. The edge of the carbs will literally be with in the first 1/2" of the air filter and air-intake.

I don't mind cutting fiberglass, but want to have all my information about both setups.

It seems I am the first one that is taking a kit MG TD and want to make it fast with a air cool. Seems most people take a chevy frame and drop a V8 in it.
canosgmk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried this set up?

Pros and cons?

"Pertronix" SVDA Dizzy 12V

Deluxe Center Mount Progressive (DFAV/DFEV) Carb Kit, Redline, DP Type 1, K1410.
poorboyrc77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an entire thread written by John Connolly on the progressive . He is one of the best at tuning carbs.
canosgmk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

searching didn't bring it up.

Please link it.

Also, I was referring to that Redline carb with that dizzy.
poorboyrc77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canosgmk wrote:
searching didn't bring it up.

Please link it.

Also, I was referring to that Redline carb with that dizzy.

I don't know how to link it with my phone. Go to the top of the page on the engine and trans section. First "sticky" , scroll down til you find how to properly tune a progressive. It also tells you what dizzy it will work with.
Alte Blechdose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm helping a friend with his 77 bus. It's a stock 2000cc motor so he started looking at different carb options and wound up with Kadrons from Kaddieshack and they just arrived today. We'll be putting them on this weekend but I have to say these carbs are really nice. Jeff dialed them in for the motor also before sending them out. We'll see how these puppies run but I gotta say they did a nice job so far as I can tell. For 540.00 bucks setup and ready to go it's hard to beat. Something you may want to consider while looking at options yourself.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: